Low fence property management (Uvalde)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low fence property management (Uvalde)

My first post on here. I will give a background to the situation and the property and hopefully I can get some useful insight that I can turn around and apply. I love hunting and I am beyond excited for this amazing opportunity.

Last year I was given access to my uncles property in Uvalde. It is roughly 275 acres on the Leona River. It is south of Highway 90, about 5 miles south of the city of Uvalde. Interesting enough it has three ecosystems. Three large fields that my cousin farms where wheat is currently planted, river bottom that skirts the property, and then on the other side of the fields is this area where it is wooded but surprisingly open with a canopy ( I haven't done any clearing in this section and just got access to it last month). My uncle has not hunted this property in nearly 10 years and there isn't a lot of pressure that surrounds the property. Around the property is a lot of land that is farmed, and then on the other side of the river there are a few ranches. Two rock bottom crossings are on this property on the river (opposite ends) and I believe that is where a lot of crossing happens on the river itself.

I threw a camera and a feeder on the property in late November 2017. I saw some great bucks come through. Then in mid 2018 I stepped it up and added a nice stand, and a protein feeder. All of this takes place on the back field and I have no other stands or feeders elsewhere. I have some great deer come through, but I really want to get them to stay as well, or at least get them to come back. Currently wheat is planted and it will remain until May. But i have a few areas where I can do food plots.

My thought is to do a couple of food plots where i can, add a few more protein feeders in the wooded area to the right of the house, and maybe another stand or two. Any thoughts? Appreciate any insight.

Attached are some pictures, as well as a layout of the property
    Attached Files

Looks like you have some monsters coming through your place!!!
    Last edited by southtx; 01-02-2019, 02:22 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

I would stay as much out of that bedding as much as possible you could put you a protein feeder at the very edge of the bedding and maybe a small food plot . Put the protein as close to the nearest water as possible. And maybe put a stand and feeder backed up to that hi fenced to bow hunt it because you know that they aren’t going to come from the hi fence side to bust you . So you can hunt that stand when the wind is blowing your scent across the hi fence behind you .

Comment

I doubt you are going to hold many deer on 275 acres, especially when 3/4 of the place consists of open fields. But you could set the whole place up as a destination food plot in the winter. I would start by moving those feeders off the Eastern fence line. I would line that river and wooded area near the house with feeders. Put my blind behind the house and walk in for every hunt. Spring food plots could be tough unless you can irrigate.

Comment

I would have a feeder setup in the 10acre recessed area and a treestand in the treeline between it and the 65 acre wooded area. I would not access the 65 acre wooded area at all unless I needed to track a wounded animal into it.

Comment

just from looking at your drawing

Just from a quick look at your drawing I would bet there will be trails because of the pinch between the river and fields at the bottom of your drawing and at the corners of the high fence if there is any cover in the fields outside the high fence.

I marked up the drawing where I would start looking.

I would do like BolilLoco said and move the feeders closer to the inside of the property along the heavily wooded area and field edge or river and field edge.

I would not worry about food plots since they are planting wheat on the fields. I would set up a feeders for a kill site.

You should be able to get a cruncher on this place.

Good luck if you need help get in touch on a PM!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Killer; 01-02-2019, 06:04 PM.

Comment

I would have a food plot between the two River and wooded/bedding area. No telling what you will see deer travel that river like a highway. I have seen some monsters killed on the River and Ex FIL told stories of Giants. They use to run a 10k ranch that the River went through and the stories!!! Just wow

Comment

I don’t have anything to add but this thread already shows how great this forum is.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                  I would stay as much out of that bedding as much as possible you could put you a protein feeder at the very edge of the bedding and maybe a small food plot . Put the protein as close to the nearest water as possible. And maybe put a stand and feeder backed up to that hi fenced to bow hunt it because you know that they aren’t going to come from the hi fence side to bust you . So you can hunt that stand when the wind is blowing your scent across the hi fence behind you .
                  Yeah I was thinking the same exact thing. There is an open area where I was going to do a food plot and then do some clearing where they can access more easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                    Just from a quick look at your drawing I would bet there will be trails because of the pinch between the river and fields at the bottom of your drawing and at the corners of the high fence if there is any cover in the fields outside the high fence.

I marked up the drawing where I would start looking.

I would do like BolilLoco said and move the feeders closer to the inside of the property along the heavily wooded area and field edge or river and field edge.

I would not worry about food plots since they are planting wheat on the fields. I would set up a feeders for a kill site.

You should be able to get a cruncher on this place.

Good luck if you need help get in touch on a PM!

This is amazing. Thank you very much for the input.

The deer walk that high fence and cross right there where it meets the low fence next to the gate.

They bed really heavily in that recessed pond, and right behind it is tall grass and I am thinking I will for sure throw a stand back there.
                    Last edited by will375; 01-03-2019, 11:29 AM. Reason: Added

Comment

If your cousin is planting wheat then I would plant a food plot with oats. Deer prefer oats over wheat 9 out of 10 times.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                        If your cousin is planting wheat then I would plant a food plot with oats. Deer prefer oats over wheat 9 out of 10 times.
                        When would you put oats in the ground?

Comment

You are getting good feedback. Something that you might want to take a look at, that can help you scout and keep records and trend your game camera pictures based on historical weather conditions
                          thehuntersight.com

There is a video at the bottom of the website that shows the features and how easy to use. Plus, there is a 14 day free trial green button right across from video below pricing where you can sign up for free and no billing information needed

Comment

September 15th to October 15th in your area. Probably plant same time that they plant the wheat. Deer do like oats better and you are far enough south that the oats being more likely to winter kill will not affect you. Moisture will be your problem on a food plot. Getting timely rains after you plant. I would plant small and fertilize well. The deer will find the plants with the most nitrogen under them.

Comment

Originally posted by will375 View Post
                              When would you put oats in the ground?
                              I'm thinking my Ex FIL planted toward end of Oct. their ranch is in Zavala Cnty. They plant about 300-400 acres total in oats. And will second the fertilizer. We put 200lbs to the acre. We go heavy on the nitrogen in our mixture
                              Last edited by BrandonA; 01-03-2019, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X