Nannie Stringfellow hog hunt Feb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nannie Stringfellow hog hunt Feb

Any pointers for Nannie Stringfellow hog hunt?
    They boy and I drew youth/adult gun.

Corn and shoot straight

Comment

I'll be out there 7 to the 9th I think it is.

Comment

Take a thermacell. Are you taking a SxS or 4wheeler?

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
          I'll be out there 7 to the 9th I think it is.
          We have 3rd-5rh of Feb

Comment

Originally posted by 999 View Post
            Take a thermacell. Are you taking a SxS or 4wheeler?

Taking our mountain bikes

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
              Mountain bikes may or may not be useful depending on if it wet or not. Most of the time, the place is covered in sticky black gumbo that will load up your wheels with 10 pounds of mud right away. If it's dry, bikes will work. I'd call ahead before hauling them down.
              As far as stands, the whole place is covered in hogs and they move around so you will likely get a shot at something. They also pre bait the stands a few days beforehand to increase your odds.
              Usually for the youth hunts, the San Bernard NWR provides some stands as well. They are covered up with hogs too but you aren't allowed to bait on Federal land.
              The guys that run the place are stand up fellas and they'll do what they can to make sure yall have a good hunt.
              Good luck 👍

Comment

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
                Mountain bikes may or may not be useful depending on if it wet or not. Most of the time, the place is covered in sticky black gumbo that will load up your wheels with 10 pounds of mud right away. If it's dry, bikes will work. I'd call ahead before hauling them down.
                As far as stands, the whole place is covered in hogs and they move around so you will likely get a shot at something. They also pre bait the stands a few days beforehand to increase your odds.
                Usually for the youth hunts, the San Bernard NWR provides some stands as well. They are covered up with hogs too but you aren't allowed to bait on Federal land.
                The guys that run the place are stand up fellas and they'll do what they can to make sure yall have a good hunt.
                Good luck 👍
                Good info here. Most of the area is hardwood bottoms which means swamp most of the year when we have decent rains. Even the roads get BAD if wet. Bikes may be more of a hindrance than a help. They do have a couple of compartments near the FM road but access is the main issue.

Staff down there is super. They will give you good info if you call them. But the place is loaded with hogs. Good luck.

Comment

My Xterra 4x4 with some goodies. It could probably do the job if bikes dont work.

Orientation is at 11am 1st day, so it'll really just be a day and half hunt.

Comment

My Xterra 4x4 with some goodies. It could probably do the job if bikes dont work.

Orientation is at 11am 1st day, so it'll really just be a day and half hunt.
                    If it is wet and the roads are bad, they won't let you drive a street vehicle on them. They don't want the roads all rutted up or be pulling folks out of the mud.

Comment

If you have a 4-wheeler you will need it, your mountain bikes will get stuck this time of year. Hip or chest waders will come in handy dealing with the mud and water

Comment

I’ve seen a can-am mud buggy and a ranger 6 wheeler stuck out there. Bikes are doubtful. Xterra will get stuck too.

Comment

All good info, thank you

Comment

Let us know how that worked out and take pictures please.

Comment

Originally posted by C-dubyah View Post
                              Let us know how that worked out and take pictures please.
                              Last time we hunted Nannie pushed water the entire drive to the stand. Put corn on any little ant hill we could find.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X