No announcement yet.

Shnf '18-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look for rainy weather near oak patches. The ground softens up and makes rooting up the ground easier on their snouts, and they'll go after rotten acorns and grubs. Also don't forget to drop GPS coordinates of all of your spots so we can use that information for record keeping purposes [emoji859]
    Originally posted by newbie25 View Post
    Thank you Harry. TPWD said I need hunting license, the Archery Endorsement, and the Annual Public Hunting Permit and that I can get that at academy or wherever. I still need to do my online hunter education.

Have you ever hunted pigs in SHNF? If so, what do look for? food sources like berries, and water sources?
    Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you Harry. TPWD said I need hunting license, the Archery Endorsement, and the Annual Public Hunting Permit and that I can get that at academy or wherever. I still need to do my online hunter education.

Have you ever hunted pigs in SHNF? If so, what do look for? food sources like berries, and water sources?
      just buy the Super Combo and the APH. You can do this all online.

Comment

Been a while since ive posted here guys! Glad to see most of yall still here doing well! Hung up my rods this summer started sellin boats and lucky me i have all deer season to hunt!

I've sold my old bow and am currently in the market for a new one! Dmack i seen you have owned and shot both the Triax and the Halon? just want some honest opinions pros and cons of these 2. I told my self i wasn't going to spend $1100 on a new bow and was looking at the carbon icon or the realm.... for some reason i think i still want to look at mathews and get off this bowtech kick im on. Misssion and hoyt are out of the question i do not like them.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
          I'm not scared of snakes at all. I've held multiple venomous snakes.
          However, if you've ever seen what happens if you get hit....it's just not worth it.
          I wear snake boots.

I don't wear them for the ones I see, I wear them for the ones I don't see. I don't want to spend any time in a hospital.
          I won't post pics, but they aren't pretty.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Funny you say that my father in law was scouting with me and he was talking about how snakes dont scare him and all of a sudden he jumped 3 feet high and hoped around sure enough a coral snake was actually moving at him. i never laughed so hard in my life!

Comment

Hello Everyone. I am brand new to archery, finally got a setup thanks to Archery County in Austin, and the awesome folks at Brazos County Archery Club got me the rest of the way.

I have no hunting roots, but am getting myself into it. SHNF is the closest public land to me I believe, and I am interested in anything - pigs, squirrels, rabits, deer anything. In it for meat.

Do yall have any pointers on where to start? I have no point of reference.

Right now I have my bow, arrows, some clothes I go backpacking with but no camo, and I just ordered some Vortex 10x42mm thanks to a good 40% discount through optics planet

Good luck on your deer hunts this season
            Get on Google maps or Earth and look for hardwoods. ( They'll usually be Brown in the pics. Try and identify creeks/drainages, then get boots on the ground.

Hogs like to be near water. Look for them there.

Welcome.

Comment

Found a fresh rub with some blood on it. First time for me. Thought it was pretty cool.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
                Found a fresh rub with some blood on it. First time for me. Thought it was pretty cool.

That is pretty cool.

Comment

Awesome find Lee!

Comment

That is awesome, I wouldn't have even known to see something like that!

Comment

Originally posted by pelochas View Post
                      a good gps unit, compass, whistle, or a good phone with the onx hunt app and a battery backup. scout , scout and scout for more.
                      Originally posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post
                      Look for rainy weather near oak patches. The ground softens up and makes rooting up the ground easier on their snouts, and they'll go after rotten acorns and grubs. Also don't forget to drop GPS coordinates of all of your spots so we can use that information for record keeping purposes [emoji859]

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                      Get on Google maps or Earth and look for hardwoods. ( They'll usually be Brown in the pics. Try and identify creeks/drainages, then get boots on the ground.

Hogs like to be near water. Look for them there.

Welcome.

Thank you everyone for all your input. I appreciate it.
                      Do ya'll ever hunt hogs on foot or do you always need to be in a tree stand?
                      I feel like my ADD would appreciate moving around.

Comment

Both pigs I've killed in the Sam I was walking around. One while I was scouting, the other I was deer hunting, heading to my spot and he charged me. Either way, both methods will work but if you're gonna spot and stalk definitely aim for when it's rainy, it's hard to spot and stalk otherwise cause the stepping makes a fair bit of noise.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post
                          Both pigs I've killed in the Sam I was walking around. One while I was scouting, the other I was deer hunting, heading to my spot and he charged me. Either way, both methods will work but if you're gonna spot and stalk definitely aim for when it's rainy, it's hard to spot and stalk otherwise cause the stepping makes a fair bit of noise.

This. The underbrush is thick in most spots. Making it hard to get around quietly.b

Comment

Hogs are a blast to hunt on the move, I will move and then stop for a while when I'm in a good area, find water that's not getting hunting pressure and the pigs should be close by.
                            Last edited by forest-hunter; 09-12-2018, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Chomping at the bit

Comment

Found a moose on side of the rd! My first one to see in person. Young bull but very cool nonetheless. Btw, I’m in ND. Just stood there staring at me.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X