No announcement yet.

Why do RVs have holes in their roofs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently sold my camper. Sold my boat. I feel kind of nekked without either. But this post reminded me of 1 reason out of 965283949 to quit looking at my next boat and camper. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
      I recently sold my camper. Sold my boat. I feel kind of nekked without either. But this post reminded me of 1 reason out of 965283949 to quit looking at my next boat and camper. Lol
      LOL. Truer words never spoken.

Comment

It seems like a unit on the front would be a safety hazard.

Comment

Skylights are for headroom, usually in the bathroom, shower area...

I damaged my roof in Fredricksberg and just had Spray America Coatings do a Linex spray replacement....
          They did a great job....$6000 for a 43' Open range RV and they did the 5 slide out also....
          They sprayed over the skylights, which I have 7' ceilings in mine

Comment

I'm coating the roof and seams on my 3 year old camper this weekend with Dicor Coolcoat with ceramic crystals, and self leveling seam caulk. I want to keep the roof/seams in good shape, and am hoping it will help it cool down faster when we pull in on really hot days. Also ordered an RV Airflow unit for the AC to try to make it more efficient. If that doesn't get me where I want to go....I'm calling Mr Birdwell about adding an AC.

I didn't run the slide out yesterday when I inspected the rest of the roof, I assume it will have the same roof material as the main camper?

Comment

Ha. We bought a camper new 1 year ago in May. Added $2700 extended warranty. In February the slide leaked and ruined the trim inside and wet the carpet. Called the dealership (fun town tyler) to get an appointment. You guessed it, they were so far "behind " that the first appointment was after our 1 year warranty was up. They opened a ticket and was gonna have it open until they could get caught up. Well when I rolled in for my scheduled appointment they tell me "someone closed the ticket" and my factory warranty was expired. They keep it a week or two with instructions to call before any work is done. We get a call that out camper is done and we owe $200 and neither warranty would cover the water leak and trim. They're all crooks.

Comment

Mine is due for seam maintenance in the next couple weeks before we drag it up to the lease. Never done it before. Tips or tricks?

Comment

There are several good videos on Youtube about how to use the Dicor self leveling stuff, or some use the Eternabond tape. I chickened out on the eternabond, this time...but I may do it next year.

I hope to do my whole roof this weekend...it's only gonna be 97.

Comment

Ive got to replace my bathroom vent cover. Its 7 years old and has developed a stress fracture at the end of the plastic brace where the lift arm attaches. Everything has a useful lifespan then needs to be replaced or repaired. Eso si que es.

Most all my exterior trim caulk seams were tight…then I drove through Shreveport on I20…now alot of my seams have popped open. Eso si que es.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      I'm coating the roof and seams on my 3 year old camper this weekend with Dicor Coolcoat with ceramic crystals, and self leveling seam caulk. I want to keep the roof/seams in good shape, and am hoping it will help it cool down faster when we pull in on really hot days. Also ordered an RV Airflow unit for the AC to try to make it more efficient. If that doesn't get me where I want to go....I'm calling Mr Birdwell about adding an AC.

I didn't run the slide out yesterday when I inspected the rest of the roof, I assume it will have the same roof material as the main camper?

Lemme know how that $170 piece of foam works Dale. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        Lemme know how that $170 piece of foam works Dale. [emoji23]

It was $150 with a discount code I found on YT...

My AC baaaarely gets it done when it's really hot with zero shade, so I'm grasping for straws before I call Carey.

Comment

I just finished replacing the two skylights on our 11 month old TT. The OEM lenses were poorly installed with over-driven screws and cracks around the perimeter at the flange and up the sides in several places. Should have never left the factory or the dealer this way.

I'm planning to do this mod on the AC. Ours is actually plenty for our rig but anything to make it run less is good IMO.

There are a number of good videos on this mod, this may no be the best but gives the basics of what to do.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc5H13ASU-c"]Season 2 Episode 74 | AC Mod | air conditioner | RV Air | better flow | cooling better | - YouTube[/ame]
                          Last edited by Bill M; 07-23-2021, 03:55 AM.

Comment

It was $150 with a discount code I found on YT...

My AC baaaarely gets it done when it's really hot with zero shade, so I'm grasping for straws before I call Carey.

I’ll let you know how ours does next week. We are heading out on a trip where shade is minimal. Just sitting here at the house under shade last weekend I did a test run and set my main AC thermostat to 70° and turned the added unit on high. After about 2 hours, the main AC unit started cycling on/off and just the secondary unit was keeping it very comfortable in there.

Yesterday evening we were in there prepping for the trip. When we first got inside it was 89° in there. After 15 minutes running both units it was down to 80°.

I’m glad we spent the money to
                            have the 2nd unit added.

Comment

I’ve had squirrels and ring tails chew through those danged vents and caused a lot of major damage in 2 weeks time!

Comment

There are several good videos on Youtube about how to use the Dicor self leveling stuff, or some use the Eternabond tape. I chickened out on the eternabond, this time...but I may do it next year.

I hope to do my whole roof this weekend...it's only gonna be 97.
                                That Eternabond works great. I replaced a section of EPDM a few years back and used the Eternabond to cover the seam between old and new. Make sure surfaces are clean of course.

Click image for larger version

Name:	eternabond.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	24657279

Comment

Working...
                                X