Any lawn service business owners here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any lawn service business owners here?

Not to recently I made a change in the fire department I work for. I went from one full time department to another, it just so happens the one im working for now used to be my side job. So not having a side job and a 48 on 96 off schedule has left me with a bunch of free time. SOOOOO I decided to start a lawn business.I have everything I need, zero turn, trailer, edger, 2 trimmers, back pack blower, all sorts of hand tools and a 33" walk behind. Now its just a matter of getting customers. Ive been grinding it out on social media and putting out flyers and business cards, just seems a little slow going. Looking for any tips and tricks from anyone in the business and how they built their client base

What area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Focus on one area. Consider starting a little cheaper if you talk face to face with people to get your foot in the door. Most people don't use because it's a hassle. Make it worry free. Make them trust you.

Once you have clients try talking to them every visit. The guys who want their place mowed once every two weeks are the best.

Comment

Talk with local realtors. My dad has been in business for asking as I can remember. When we first moved to Galveston and didn’t know anyone that’s where he got his first jobs. It was all word of mouth after that.

Comment

I think it's a lot of word of mouth, Do you have a Nextdoor Neighborhood web sites? Get on there and tell your story.

Comment

Originally posted by KEGLEG View Post
            What area?

League city. In between Houston and Galveston

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
              Focus on one area. Consider starting a little cheaper if you talk face to face with people to get your foot in the door. Most people don't use because it's a hassle. Make it worry free. Make them trust you.

Once you have clients try talking to them every visit. The guys who want their place mowed once every two weeks are the best.

I’m definitely trying to stay within 10-15 miles oh my house at the moment.

Comment

My son built a very successful lawn business through the Nextdoor app.

Comment

Not sure if a customer point of view will help but this is what I want. I look for ease of payment and I want to be put on a schedule. I do not want to have to chase down the lawn guy to mow my yard. I do not want my yard clippings blown into the street period. I want him to do it and bill me. When it is time to fertilize, tell me and I will make that call, which most likely is yes- do it. I prefer guys with good looking equipment/trucks not stuff that is a tow bar away from central America.

Comment

God I wish we would change to 48,-96

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                      Not sure if a customer point of view will help but this is what I want. I look for ease of payment and I want to be put on a schedule. I do not want to have to chase down the lawn guy to mow my yard. I do not want my yard clippings blown into the street period. I want him to do it and bill me. When it is time to fertilize, tell me and I will make that call, which most likely is yes- do it. I prefer guys with good looking equipment/trucks not stuff that is a tow bar away from central America.
                      Kind of all the points I’m trying to hit. That included with open lines of communication and focus 100% on customer service/satisfaction. Basically just applying everything from my civil service background to this company.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post

Good list. When I had my small lawn business I did all these things. I had people stop me while mowing all the time and ask me about mowing their yard. I got to where I had to decline cause I was so busy. Get out there and get a few yards , do a good job and business will come

Comment

I have two commercial accounts that would probably be the equivalent of a few dozen small residential accounts. Have you looked into picking up any of these?

My most recent one I got because I was willing to do some major landscaping overhaul. Mulching, trimming, planting, etc would probably be helpful to offer. Planting grass, also, if there are any farms out that way.

Business seems like it would be good in my area. I see people asking on social media daily for somebody, anybody, to show up and mow their yard.

Comment

Maybe hit new subdivisions being built, try to get a customer there and when other houses are being finished and moved into you can pick those up as well before someone else does. Kinda start off slow and then pick up more in time.

Comment

Grab a few boxes of Shipley donuts and business cards and hit several brokerages. If your only focused on yards you can get buy with using one side of your business card. If not and you want to throw in sheet rock repair, fence repair, ceiling fan installation, etc , etc, you’ll have all the work you can handle.
                              Talked to a handy man the other day and he’s making so much money that he’s opted out of college for the time being.

Comment

Working...
                              X