No announcement yet.

"the pasture"....long read and pic heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im pulling for ya brother. I completely know the range of emotions you are going through. Don't let them get the best of you. He will show up at some point because you have created a highly desirable habitat. Good luck this afternoon.

Comment

I'm kind of in the same boat.... I have a couple nice bucks that are at my place all summer... come Oct... they are gone... maybe your doe's will get him moving back in during the rut... good Luck!

Comment

Good luck stay after it.... All it takes is one sit right place right time

Comment

thanks guys, the front just moved in down here, i am back in the stand for the day, hope its not a lllloooonnnngggg 7 hours....

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
            thanks guys, the front just moved in down here, i am back in the stand for the day, hope its not a lllloooonnnngggg 7 hours....
            Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
              Rooting for you!! At least it will cool off!

Comment

didnt see any bucks last night, the last pic of the ninja was on the 25th, i am afraid he is gone once again.

i moved a camera, and will move another in a few days, one to the front and one to the very back, to see if he is still around and is just runnin' where i aint. if he has completely disappeared from my place i have one more plan of action.

i believe that i know where he goes every year, its where i would go if i were him, its a few properties away and is a place that is not legal to hunt. and i think that the reason he disappears once bow season starts is that he may be encountering some hunters/pressure before he makes his way to me, so he just backs off and stays put where he is. so i have a plan

all hope is not lost....yet

Comment

oh yeah, the food plot is looking good

since the plot is pretty much split in two pieces, about .5 acre each, i planted BFO on one side and wheat on the other. me and a buddy bought some other things to go in it too.

on the oats side i had about 20lbs of soybeans left from the spring that i threw out, they are coming up like crazy, and also 3lbs of sugar beets.

on the wheat side i put out a few lbs of purple top turnips one on end and 3lbs of groundhog radishes on the other end.

i have the four corners, about another .33-.5 acre worth of clover, i planted alyce clover and chicory in the spring, it struggled through the summer but is looking decent after the recent rains, we overseeded these spots with some durana that is already coming up.

we also opened a new spot of about 1/3 of an acre that we planted some alfalfa and tall tine tubers in, its pretty covered up with leaf litter though so i'm not sure how it will do.

it all got good rain last week and shouldve gotten some good rain last night after i left. although the hard rain last week bunched up most of the seed it is still spreadout decently since i went so heavy.

maybe, just maybe, it will be enticing enough once winter hits to bring that buck back, if i havent tracked him down by then...or if he's not already in someone elses freezer
                  Last edited by jshouse; 10-06-2013, 06:44 AM.

Comment

If he has survived this long I promise you he ain't in someone's freezer. Food plots are for does and does are for bucks. Think of the possibilities even if he doesn't show, a doe on your plot may drag in an even bigger buck that has been hanging out on some other property all summer. That's the cool thing about hunting you just never know what is going to appear, especially in East TX. All three of my biggest bucks from East TX to date were ones I never had a pic of and they just appeared out of no where. Good luck and keep your head up we're only a few weeks away from that magic time of year when anything can happen-

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
                      If he has survived this long I promise you he ain't in someone's freezer. Food plots are for does and does are for bucks. Think of the possibilities even if he doesn't show, a doe on your plot may drag in an even bigger buck that has been hanging out on some other property all summer. That's the cool thing about hunting you just never know what is going to appear, especially in East TX. All three of my biggest bucks from East TX to date were ones I never had a pic of and they just appeared out of no where. Good luck and keep your head up we're only a few weeks away from that magic time of year when anything can happen-

thanks man, i am pretty sure i would have heard if he had been taken by now. but i was all excited for the rut last year too and had very little activity around me, sightings and pics all fell off big time until about thanksgiving, pretty sure it was due to the acorn crop though, and there are hardly any on the trees this year.

its just weird, i have had very few, less than 10, pics of mature bucks on my place from october to december, hopefully the plots will thicken up and change that this year.

Comment

Any new signs of him?

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                          Any new signs of him?
                          Been wondering the same thing.

Comment

nothing, no pics since the 25th. found out a neighbor didnt recover a "10pt with 20" spread" on opening morning, i dont like the sound of that.

i did get permission to hunt a very small parcel a few properties east of mine, closer to government land that i think he runs off to every year, i put a camera on it yesterday, hope to get back out there wednesday and see what the pics show.

thanks guys, yet another frustrating season at the pasture lol

Comment

Any luck with pics yesterday?

Comment

i wasnt able to run out there yesterday, gonna try for today, if i cant it will be sunday.

Comment

Working...
                                X