The Forbidden Zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
    I am talking about the Forbidden Zone. I interviewed there and they showed me all the deer on the wall that were taken from the Forbidden zone. They said if I got the job, that was part of it. Maybe times have changed, but 20 years ago the employees got to hunt the forbidden zone.
    So, you interviewed to work for the Forbidden Zone? Besides the ability to shoot deer, what qualifications does one need to bring to the table to work there?

Comment

I am talking about the Forbidden Zone. I interviewed there and they showed me all the deer on the wall that were taken from the Forbidden zone. They said if I got the job, that was part of it. Maybe times have changed, but 20 years ago the employees got to hunt the forbidden zone.
      Man, I am not saying it wasnt true, but I have never heard of anyone being able to legally hunt in the FZ......anyone. Maybe a loooooong time ago it was different.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
        Been a few big bucks poached off of the forbidden zone over the years that made the news. Probably more that didn't get caught
        Never heard of a one making the news, there was that one big non-typical around 2000 that guy shot during the draw hunt but he was not drawn, he just slipped in there and hunted during it with everyone else (I've heard of this happening at hagerman too). When he took it to a taxidermist later that year someone noticed the buck, it was well known by the biologist on the WMA.

Comment

There was one that was poached off the zone and they have him mounted and in the wma
          The guy shot him from 488
          That’s what the guys (staff) told me at the wma. That deer was well known to all the locals and he was a hoss.

No one hunts the zone that I know for sure.

The water filtration project is on the north side and that water is filtered and then put back into the water supply at least that is what my understanding is.
          The idea was that there is a lot of wasted water that simply flows out the trinity so why not use natural habitat to filter the water and at the same time get some recreational value from it. The water can be pumped into RC.
          Could be wrong but I believe that’s what I remember reading on that project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

A game warden took one with a bow that scored in the 170s. This was several years back. Not saying it was taken in the forbidden zone but just in general there are some good quality bucks in that WMA. I have a friend that used to bow hunt it back when it was walk in archery. He saw tons of deer & some good size bucks just never got a shot on one. There were too many hunters in there always pushing the deer on the move at least from his experience

Comment

I drew GDE there about 5 years ago and missed the deadline to pay for my permit. 😢

Comment

It was not called the "Forbidden Zone" until after the lake filled up. Before then employees could hunt the property TCWB owned, which included RCWMA and the "Forbidden Zone". After it became the "Forbidden Zone" no one hunts there legally.

That might explain the statement above.

TCWB still owns land south of the RCWMA off Amerada Ranch Road in Freestone Co that employees hunt and a small piece of land north of RCWMA in Navarro Co. at the pump station and maybe a few more tracts in the area.

And yes there are some good bucks that stay on the 'Forbidden Zone". Right now they are on the levees or pushed up on private property because of the Trinity River being so high and the Forbidden Zone being under water.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                  There was one that was poached off the zone and they have him mounted and in the wma
                  The guy shot him from 488
                  That’s what the guys (staff) told me at the wma. That deer was well known to all the locals and he was a hoss.

No one hunts the zone that I know for sure.

The water filtration project is on the north side and that water is filtered and then put back into the water supply at least that is what my understanding is.
                  The idea was that there is a lot of wasted water that simply flows out the trinity so why not use natural habitat to filter the water and at the same time get some recreational value from it. The water can be pumped into RC.
                  Could be wrong but I believe that’s what I remember reading on that project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  Pretty much spot on info

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                    It was not called the "Forbidden Zone" until after the lake filled up. Before then employees could hunt the property TCWB owned, which included RCWMA and the "Forbidden Zone". After it became the "Forbidden Zone" no one hunts there legally.

TCWB still owns land south of the RCWMA off Amerada Ranch Road in Freestone Co that employees hunt and a small piece of land north of RCWMA in Navarro Co. at the pump station and maybe a few more tracts in the area.

And yes there are some good bucks that stay on the 'Forbidden Zone". Right now they are on the levees or pushed up on private property because of the Trinity River being so high and the Forbidden Zone being under water.
                    Have often wondered what happened to one of the biggest wild boars my eyes have ever beheld up close. It no doubt would frequent the Forbidden Zone. If I hadn’t seen such a beast at such a short distance it would sound like a made-up or exaggerated story. Doubt he’s still alive after all this time. He was too cocky to run away from vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post

I've been down that ranch road, the gate at the end with all the locks on it to get into the back of the WMA is something else...

Comment

Working...
                      X