No announcement yet.

Dream to Reality: The One Sixty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been quiet lately. Any action at your place?

Comment

Hey Micah! Been staying around the house chasing bucks there. Just got up to the 160 yesterday to hunt a little bit. Checked a few cameras today. I have one good solid mature 9pt and a mature management buck as of now on the cameras. I'm up to 13 racked 2.5-3.5yr bucks. Seeing lots of potential. Hoping that the rut kicks asap!!
      Attached Files

Comment

Oops tried something different and the pics are flipped side ways. I knew I should have done it the old way...lol

Comment

He shows promise!

FIFY
          [emoji1]

Comment

Thanks for fixing the pictures.

Comment

Looking good Wingnut!

Comment

Been a little while with any updates from the 160. We head up yesterday for the last hunt of the year! Hoping to kill a doe to put in the freezer. Had two does come out just a little before good shooting light. Weather is pretty nasty today!

Comment

Really foggy and WET!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Back after the smartest animal on earth! A whitetail doe....late season! It's amazing how all season you see does almost every hunt within bow range. Then I come up with ever excuse not to shoot one. Like I'm waiting to kill a buck or it's to hot today, got to leave at a certain time and the list goes on. Then when you decide to try and kill one they r the smartest animals on the planet Its what makes hunting fun. Got to stand this afternoon and 5 does were already under my stand. Maybe they will come back.

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut View Post
                      Back after the smartest animal on earth! A whitetail doe....late season! It's amazing how all season you see does almost every hunt within bow range. Then I come up with ever excuse not to shoot one. Like I'm waiting to kill a buck or it's to hot today, got to leave at a certain time and the list goes on. Then when you decide to try and kill one they r the smartest animals on the planet Its what makes hunting fun. Got to stand this afternoon and 5 does were already under my stand. Maybe they will come back.
                      Good luck on connecting on a doe. My last few hunts for a doe were tough. All that showed up were bucks. Looks pretty nasty out there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Iamhooked View Post
                        Good luck on connecting on a doe. My last few hunts for a doe were tough. All that showed up were bucks. Looks pretty nasty out there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                        Sounds like we have the same luck

Comment

Year 1…complete. Year 2…activated. With the beginning of a chapter, so comes the end. We rolled up the turnpike for the last time of the 2018-19 season in Oklahoma last Friday night. It was gonna be a laid back, everyone there, build a fire, drink a beer, RELAX, kind of weekend, and it did not disappoint. Bryan (Wingnut) and I pulled into the drive way to see the warm orange glow of windows in the house that we would take up residency in for the next few days. Lights on and fires blazing, thanks to Rusty(SpiderMonkey), who had arrived several hours prior. We unloaded our gear to the warmth of the propane-fueled deerborn heaters that are scattered around the house, and dispersed our equipment to our respective bedrooms, as we had done so many times already this season. There was no room in the fridge for the bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos and box of Birthday Cake Little Debbies that we had brought, because Rusty's wife had sent him with enough food to host a Pentacostal church revival luncheon. We joined back up and plopped down in the recliners that were waiting for us, beer in hand for Bryan and I, Mountain Dew for Rusty. It was 9:30pm at this point and the tales began about the deer we'd see, the plans for 2019, and for the 1 millionth time, how nice this house was. Talks slowly died as the drowsiness kicked in and we just lounged there, with the only noises being the kicking on and off of the propane fireplace that was at our feet. Like the times before, the recliners claimed their victims, so I made it off to my bedroom, set the alarm, and fell fast asleep.

Let me take a second here and tell you about this house. He have had leases with houses before, some nice, and some would barely pass for a loafing shed. We have stayed in r.v.'s, some nice, and some, well, maybe good enough for the mother-in-law…almost. This house came with the property that Wingnut bought back last June. It had everything a person could ever want. Wood burning fireplace, two deerborn heaters, one gas log fireplace, t.v., couch, recliners, stove, refrigerator, microwave, dining room table, beds, sheets, fully furnished bathroom, silverware, pots and pans, and the list goes on and on…and on. When I say that we didn't have to bring one single thing, I mean not even paper towels or toilet paper, because it was already there. The previous owners did not want anything.

Continued in next post...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Alarm goes off, coffee is made, showers are taken, and the glows of red headlamps disperse off into the pre-dawn darkness like fireflies in the spring as the engine noise from Ole Bessie, Rusty's faithful camper-shelled chevy fades in the distance. Rusty was off to hunt Pete, a mid forties to low 50s 10 point that he's been playing cat and mouse with since early November on public land that is 3.5 miles from the house. Well, Pete, or the high 30s 8 point, or the I-30 10 point, or a doe. All of the above have been regulars on his cameras that he has scattered about on about 150 acres of public ground that he has seemingly had all to his self this year. Herd management was the task at hand, and God help any doe that comes within striking distance this weekend. A few deer were seen that morning, but due to winds that rivaled only the winds of West Texas or perhaps the Kansas plains, deer were skittish to say the least. But no worries, because this trip had more in store than just seat time in a tree and storytelling around the fire. Darton was headed our way that morning and before you knew it, we were all off like a dress on prom night, to see new property that is in the process of being purchased. That's right brothers from another mother and sisters from another mister, a new land purchase is in the works, and this may be the absolutely best one yet. We made the trek just 25 short minutes west of McAlester to what I can only describe as heaven on earth. This property was dreamt up by the minds of a thousand hunters, daydreaming endlessly in the stand, hours upon hours, of what their perfect hunting paradise would be, and then God himself materialized this place in rare and true form, only to be placed just west of the infamous MCAAP. If you don't know what MCAAP is, then look it up on facebook and see their yearly TOP 10 hitlist of free-ranging bucks, many of which blew past the 200" mark a few miles back. Only 5.82347 miles of cow pasture stands in between the woods of MCAAP and the perimeter fence of what was recently named the Coal Creek Ranch. I sat in sheer wonderment and total amazement as I listened to Darton and Wingnut rattle off their plans for this already perfect place. It went something like this; "We'll make an S-curved driveway off the main road and clear this spot for the shop, the cleaning station will go here and I think this is the best spot for the fire pit, we'll put a food plot in over there and another up there, I think a feeder will go great here with a rifle/bow box here so that you can see down that pipeline as well as the road, county water and electric at the shop will put this place over the edge and I know just the guy to wire in the shop and cleaning station, how about a covered r.v. pad there just to have as an option, look at the size of that rub, I bet he was probably close to a booner," and so on and so on…You see, as I am quickly learning, when you dream something up, anything is possible, and with a dream that just continues, the details only get better, and better… So with heads full of ideas and pencil to paper, we quickly formulated a plan of action back at Taco Bob's in downtown McAlester. I'll say, once again, Darton, always a pleasure, and for you guys that have followed his threads, words on a page and pictures on a green screen could never tell the story of how extraordinary this man is. He has a passion and love for deer hunting and land management that I have not seen too many times in my short 40 years. He is as good as they get.

First pic is of Wingnut and Darton discussing how big the food plot should be where they are standing, just up from the creek bottom and along the old pipeline right of way.
                            Second pic is of the low water concrete crossing of afore mentioned creek (this creek bottom is as good as they come, lousy with trails, rubs and trees designed for loc-on carnage)
                            Attached Files

Comment

...Last Installment
                              Back at the camphouse, we were running late to get in the stand so we hunted nearby setups to just be able to get a hunt in, which was hard when the fire was roaring in the fireplace, beer was cold in the frig, and the Mahomes Chiefs were spanking Indianapolis. But alas, we found our way to the stand. I saw 11 that afternoon, one nice up and coming 2 year old 8 point who had vanished most of the second half of season, and a slew of does. No shot presented itself so back to the afore mentioned amenities to watch the Cowboys and the Los An…I can't even bare to repeat what I saw that night. Another alarm at 5am, coffee, shower, repeat. Sunday afternoon, after cleaning up around camp, enjoying a fire in the fireplace post lunch (thanks Lana for keeping us well fed), we made it back to the stands. I had made some adjustments to how I chummed the corn this time, allowing for wind direction and the right side of the stand (I'm left handed in a right handed world), I put quick work on a doe. The 4 blade Slick Trick sliced through her last rib and came out in front of her left shoulder on a hard quartering away shot. Yep, you guessed it, you can leave the dog in the kennel, Ray Charles holding hands with Helen Keller could follow that blood trail. With a doe in the Ranger and sunset turning into darkness, our 2018-2019 season was in the books. Reflecting back, with a buck named Hollywood, scoring 158 and a nickel, taken by Wingnut on 11-11, a buck seen the following day that I could only describe as SHOOTER!! seen chasing a doe in and off the pipeline, the typical 3 year old perfect 6X6 that got a pass at 12 yards and on our cameras all season, the low 140's 9 point we named Tigger that bounced in and off our trailcams all season, and Eeyore, the crippled, heavy, long mainbeam 8 point that should not disappoint next season, I think The OneSixty is off to a spectacular start. Wingnut made a decision about this time last year that we were done leasing and that he was ready to buy. We got tired of having a knowledge of managing deer, growing big deer, leasing property that was absolutely perfect for big deer, only to have it pulled out from under us because your lease manager can't get along with the land owner. The stories of failed leases stack up higher than the Burj Khalifa in Dubai. The taste in our mouths was bitter, and sour, with a little more bitter sprinkled in. Wingnut traded in 7 hours of driving to a lease in for 2.5 hours driving to land that he owns, and I am lucky enough to share this journey. So to the Wingnuts and Dartons of the world, I salute you! And as a post script, it is not hard to do, just ask one of them…

pic 1 is of the back of the house and showing the shop
                              pic 2 is of bow hanging in the covered shop area where we shoot targets.
                              pic 3 is a view from the stand
                              pic 4 is herd management
                              pic 5 is a sunset back in October.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Great write up, Cody. You, Sir, are a wordsmith of the highest order.

And this is only the beginning......

Comment

Working...
                                X