Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody speak another language around the camp or home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife calls her Mom everyday and it always starts out in English, then somewhere it turns to Spanish and usually ends in English again....I have no idea what they talk about.

Comment

I took three years of French in high school (well thought out plan for living in south central Texas, but the teacher was smoking hot). For the life of me, all I can remember is
      “je suis le gros fromage”.

Comment

I'm half Mexican (Dad's side). My Dad is fluent but I've only heard him speak Spanish twice in my life. Grandma lived with us for most of my childhood. I always asked her to teach me Spanish. She would say "No Mijo, you're white"

I still picked up a little growing up and then took Spanish in High School. Worked with Nothing but Latinos my first Machine Shop Job and my Spanglish wasn't too bad. But I've lost a lot of it over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by RyHolub View Post
          My dad spoke fluent Czech when he was in his 20’s back in the early 80’s with his grandmother who immigrated from Czechoslovakia. Now when the brews start flowing so does the entire families Czech vocab [emoji23] [emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My childhood knowledge of Czech, which I’m told I demonstrated at a large gathering when asked “Billy, do you know any Czech words” was a stream of profanities.

My Parents friends reminded me of the incident several times!

Nazdar!

Comment

years ago on a lease I had in Gillispie county the landowner was german and his ranch hand was mexican. they had worked together so long they could communicate in German and Mexican. However it was funny to listen to a german speak mexican and visa versa.

Comment

Italian / Irish heritage wife. 6 kids, 5 still at home. I find sarcasm and loud talking (I am not yelling, I am Italian) spoken often. I travel a bit for my job. It works.

Comment

Does drunkanese count?

Comment

I can speak a little Czech and Russian thanks to my grandparents. My grandparents were Czech, were fluent, but didn't like to speak it much because they were proud to be Americans.

I remember my grandfather getting mad at a couple of checker girls speaking Spanish around him at a grocery store. He rattled off some Czech at them. God knows what he said, but they shut up really quick and asked him what he was talking about. He replied in English, "Now you know how everyone else feels when you speak that stuff. You're in America, speak English!" and walked off!

That was a long time ago. I don't think he could get away with saying that now.

Comment

I speak a little Spanish, but I need to be in a Spanish speaking country for a couple of days for it to come back conversationally.

My grandmother grew up in Kerrville. She won't cuss in English, but she can in German. When I was 12 or 13 I played penny poker one night with her and some other relatives at a family reunion. They could all cuss and palaver in German even though they were all 3 or more generations removed from the old country.

Comment

I was pretty decent with Afrikaans as a kid living all over Africa. I had friends that spoke it and picked up enough to understand the conversation and get my point across. I miss South Africa. Great bunch of people.

Comment

Portuguese, Spanish, German... im in Bolivia now 3 weeks

Comment

We speak a foreign language at camp, Whiskeybeer. I can’t understand a word of it unless we are up there.

Comment

My brothers and I lived in Thailand, we speak decent Thai. We let Thai phrases rip when we don't want others around us to understand. We get really funny looks when three white guys start speaking in Thai around people in the US.

Comment

Most of the guys who hunt Mexico I've come to find out speak very little or no Spanish... sure makes it nice though if you can ask the cowboys a few questions " Donde Venado Grande? "

Comment

Mainly profanity at the lease. It is what it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X