Removing paint from brick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PondPopper View Post
    I would not even attempt that project.. It will be a major PITA at best and it will only get worse from there..
    That sounds like a fun HOA.. I'd find another house.
    Agree ^

Comment

Parents painted their brick 20 something years ago, still holding up great. It's becoming popular to paint brick white with black trim.

Comment

I’m wondering if using baking soda in a sandblaster would work? Companies do it inside of chemical plants all the time to remove paint. BUT nothing you do is going to be cheap. Good luck with that.

Comment

You could try a propane torch. Maybe heat it up until it bubbles and then pressure wash it off.?.?

Have not tried this, just thinking in key strokes.

J

Comment

I think I had a thread on here a while back about me trying to remove paint from an interior fireplace. I tried chemicals, and the best thing that worked for me was a wire wheel on a grinder. Keep in mind, I was and still am living in the house. Literally dust of every kind everywhere, cleanup was a pain.

Comment

Most painted brick houses seem to be done so to cover up the cracks from settling and poor tuck pointing. Prepare for a leveling bid. Then prepare for a plumbing bid for cracked sewer lines and broken yard line. Then prepare for a tuck pointing bid. Then prepare for a drywall bid. Then a painting bid. Etc.

Power spraying will work just fine. It wont be perfectly clean. God, Texas heat and Texas sun will finish off the small stuff over time.

Rubbing Alcohol will dissolve water based paints. Im not sure how to scale that up for your application.

Id walk the deal if there wasnt a mnimum 60k margin.

Good luck MrCTR

Comment

Pear burner!

Comment

I’d move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                    Most painted brick houses seem to be done so to cover up the cracks from settling and poor tuck pointing. Prepare for a leveling bid. Then prepare for a plumbing bid for cracked sewer lines and broken yard line. Then prepare for a tuck pointing bid. Then prepare for a drywall bid. Then a painting bid. Etc.

Power spraying will work just fine. It wont be perfectly clean. God, Texas heat and Texas sun will finish off the small stuff over time.

All false

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What ???

Rubbing Alcohol will dissolve water based paints. Im not sure how to scale that up for your application.

Id walk the deal if there wasnt a mnimum 60k margin.

Good luck MrCTR
                      Where did you dream this up. Sorry Sir paint is not going to cover up every thing you posted. OMG. That's why they have inspections on a house before it's sold.

Comment

Pear Burner followed by a 4000 PSI pressure washer, may have a few spots to hit twice.
                        Probably will want to reseal with the correct masonry sealer. Masonry has to breathe, never paint brick.

Comment

Good luck MrCTR
                          This is not accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                            Pear Burner followed by a 4000 PSI pressure washer, may have a few spots to hit twice.
                            Probably will want to reseal with the correct masonry sealer. Masonry has to breathe, never paint brick.
                            Lots of home improvement shows paint brick all the time.

Comment

Dry ice blasting will remove it with no damage to other things. Not the cheapest route but a very good option.

Comment

Dozer

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X