Removing paint from brick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at a house that is tied up in bankruptcy. Owners painted the entire exterior brick white which was a big no no with the HOA. Going to get some quotes this week. But wanted to know: A) if anyone here does this work, and if they wanted to come provide a quote in the Carrollton area. B) whats the best route of removing the paint, sand blasting, paint removing chemicals? C) Is one process better than the other? Does one cause any damage to the brick? D) What can I expect the quotes to come in at for a 2 story 3000 foot house?

Anything else I need to know about this process?

TIA

Probably be cheaper to remove existing white painted brick and replace with brick of your choice.

I can’t think of any way to remove paint not damage the brick and it look good

Comment

It will cost a lot to remove the paint and bring the brick back to the original color. I've never done it, just my opinion. I'd approach the HOA and ask would they rather have a vacant house with white bricks, or a sold occupied house with the bricks a better color.

Comment

I removed some paint from bricks before. This house I bought had some paint on the soffit where it met the aluminum siding, so it wasn’t the entire brick. To remove it, I put a round wire brush on my cordless dewalt while keeping the area irrigated with a water hose. If I didn’t use the water, it would gray-up the brick. On your scale, I’d look for a different method.

Comment

Would muratic acid not do it?

Comment

Originally posted by eliteweldingco View Post
            Would muratic acid not do it?
            No, sir, it works on cement not paint

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I would hire a painter to repaint it to look like brick

Comment

Maybe sponge paint. Hell, that is all I have

Comment

Chemicals are going to be the fastest way to start…but I’m afraid you have more of a paint question than a brick question. Whatever you do is not likely to leave you with a very desirable product without more attention. The chemicals are going to be hard on windows, landscaping, etc, and will require a lot of pressure, or contact, to achieve any sort of desirable affect.

You are in a tough spot until you can do some real world tests. You could easily damage the brick, or more likely the mortar, or it could be some good old fashioned stuff that’s like steel. No way to know until you get to work on it.

Are you looking for a beauty queen, or is this a rental?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Dale Moser; 03-27-2023, 06:39 PM.

Comment

I’ll tell you what I would be looking for, and that is a partial removal that leaves you with a “frosted”, or “smeared”, look.

I think your best shot at that is gonna be a crew with grinders and wire cups who can concentrate on the brick itself, and avoid the mortar joints. There is no way to know how well it will work until you try it, and anyone who tells you different is a liar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Dale Moser; 03-27-2023, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Pressure washer should take the paint off. I have cleaned paint off of brick and concrete with a pressure washer. If the paint is very good, you might have to try blowing sand with the pressure washer, that might take a layer off of the brick. Buddy used his pressure washer, and sand to strip the frame on his truck, worked very well. I have had gotten good results just using a pressure washer.

Comment

What does the HOA propose the owner do? There is no easy way to put the toothpaste back in the tube!

Comment

Something else to think about, if somehow you get the paint off the brick, the brick might be in bad shape. That's one of the reasons why people paint brick.

If the brick used to be in decent shape, the paint removal process may damage it.

Many moons ago, I owned a small painting business. I wouldn't even attempt a job like that.

Comment

House down the street had a bad German Smear done that was not approved by the HOA. The owner had to sand blast the entire house to get it off. Not sure of the cost but they sandblasted for a solid week on a roughly 3500 sq ft house.

Comment

What's the HOA's take on a stucco look?

Comment

Working...
                              X