The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
    Wrong. It's a win for the ranchers that get UW tags. You know good and well that the OVERWHELMING majority of "ranches" in the Gila are extremely small private inholdings and mostly USFS leases. People can already hunt those ranches if they draw a tag, minus the private ground. A UW tag in the Gila is big money, but the majority of that money is going to the LO for the voucher. Yes, there is a higher cost for a NR license that the state is going to get, but the bulk of that $15k is going to the rancher.

E Plus is a ridiculous system. UW private tags shouldn't be an option...if you want LO tags, it should be for deeded ground only and all those UW tags should go into the draw pool.

NM REALLY needs to drop the restrictions on cow tags. I thought that was completely asinine even when I was a resident there.
    Absolutely I know they are small, thus why they are unit wide tags. NF Leased land is a separate issue.

If growing elk densities cause a loss in stocking rates on Private land then compensating them with a tag that generates money for the state and covers private loses is the right thing to do, especially if it maintains elk populations.

Those ranchers are not open to public without the UW program. Forget just hunting the private, look at how many acres of access some of those properties block. It's not just the gila but every primary elk unit in the state.

I agree with you on the cow tags, then again that's the same legislative decision process that's trying to also phase out ALL vouchers. Same voters that would also vote no to all NR’s tag if they could.
    Last edited by Texans42; 06-22-2021, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
      Those ranchers are not open to public without the UW program. Forget just hunting the private, look at how many acres of access some of those properties block. It's not just the gila but every primary elk unit in the state.
      So from the outside looking in, without a dog in this hunt, it would seem to me that if they were actually worried about depredation and Elk overgrazing and competing with cattle then they'd be perfectly happy opening the ranch to the public who drew tags without being paid for it. No?

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
        So from the outside looking in, without a dog in this hunt, it would seem to me that if they were actually worried about depredation and Elk overgrazing and competing with cattle then they'd be perfectly happy opening the ranch to the public who drew tags without being paid for it. No?
        Only in theory.

Elk migrate through food sources year round. Allowing access doesn't lower elk levels unless you increase tags enough to actually lower the entire unit’s population. That's the biggest difference between deperdation programs and Transferable unit wide tag programs. Deperdation is to lower overall populations to lesson year round damages, where as a transferable voucher tag is to be sold to off set loses, while maintaining herd numbers, and public opportunity.

Tag allocation is based on stabilzing populations, in a sustainability model. Those tags increase or decrease according to the calf recruitment and hunter success.

I good example is if you wanted more tags allocated in the gila but still maintained year to year harvest numbers, then you would restrict means of harvest or Season dates. In NM, means of harvest strategy that would decrease success % thus allowing for more tags
        allocation would be changing Muzzleloader REGS to match CO. Making ML less effective would lower success and increase need for more tags.

This argument is really brought forth because NM wants more Res tags period. The general population doesn't care about ranchers or farmers, just more RES OPPORTUNITY. It’s not just in this particular area, it’s state wide.
        Last edited by Texans42; 06-22-2021, 02:42 PM.

Comment

As a non resident, I don't see any benefit to landowners losing their landowner tags. The NR tag allocation is so low that it won't benefit us, imo.

Comment

Big guy! Not sure how big, but I’m excited! Somewhere in unit 37 NM
            Attached Files

Comment

Same bull
              Attached Files

Comment

Great fronts, I hunt deer there a bunch, can't draw an elk tag to save my life

Comment

Does anyone know what NM unit 15 tags are going for this year?

Comment

Y’all be careful and prepared if you’re heading this way to chase elk. A woman was killed by a griz NW of Helena this morning.

SSS- Shoot, Shoot, keep Shooting

Governor Gianforte signed SB 98 in March, which reads in part

(4) In accordance with the rights conferred on Montana citizens pursuant to Article II, sections 3 and 12, of the Montana constitution, the legislature finds the act of a grizzly bear attacking, killing, or threatening to kill a person or livestock is an absolute defense against a person who takes a grizzly bear in accordance with this section being charged with a crime under Montana law.

The attack triggered an intensive search by wildlife officials and law enforcement officers who planned to kill the animal.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jared.King View Post
                      Big guy! Not sure how big, but I’m excited! Somewhere in unit 37 NM

Dang brother!! You got me even more pumped for September now. I’m really hoping I can break away for a weekend and set cameras up. Send that big one a little west for me [emoji23]

Comment

Drove by unit 77 this morning and we saw a herd of cows with calf’s all along the mountain side! If you hunt this area this year it looked great, wish I would have stopped and taken a picture! I will be putting in next year for this drawing!

Comment

Knee butcher says September is a no go…getting old stinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
                            Knee butcher says September is a no go…getting old stinks.

“You have to grow up but you don’t have to grow old”- somebody told me that a long time ago. Sorry about the knee busting your hunting plans.

Comment

The Elk Thread

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                              Y’all be careful and prepared if you’re heading this way to chase elk. A woman was killed by a griz NW of Helena this morning.

SSS- Shoot, Shoot, keep Shooting

Governor Gianforte signed SB 98 in March, which reads in part

(4) In accordance with the rights conferred on Montana citizens pursuant to Article II, sections 3 and 12, of the Montana constitution, the legislature finds the act of a grizzly bear attacking, killing, or threatening to kill a person or livestock is an absolute defense against a person who takes a grizzly bear in accordance with this section being charged with a crime under Montana law.

The attack triggered an intensive search by wildlife officials and law enforcement officers who planned to kill the animal.

The FWP wardens shot a bear, awaiting dna confirmation it was the bear.

I was at the Vet last week and a guy showed me a griz print in the mud from Eureka Basin here in the Graveleys Range.

4 shots, one of ya is dead. Please take it seriously. Bear spray or a gun that can’t be unholstered and deployed within seconds will not help. Training teaches to carry an extra can in your pack. If you empty a can getting rid of a bear, the hike out is frightening without another can ready- buy a 2 pack at Costcos in Montana. Don’t leave it on the dash of a pickup in the sun either.

Hunt hard-life’s short.

Comment

In gearing up for september elk hunt, I've been scouting via OnX and Google Earth. There's a layer that has a portion of the unit boundary labeled "State of Idaho" that surrounded by private land.

Would this be considered legally huntable? Just want to verify as it looks like a spot worth scouting further.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                                X