The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simek View Post
    Has anybody else been impressed with goHUNT's new mapping app? I'm a big fan.
    I tried it a few days ago.. unless I was using it wrong the 3d on Google earth seemed better.. ill give it another try tonight

Comment

I finally figured out how to flip the map .. I like it . It's just a little hard to flip on a touch screen..

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
        Yes less time for elk than deer. Elk stick out big time and it's pretty easy to see them in meadows and hillsides from far away. If you're cow hunting in September and you see a group of elk, there's probably a target in there for you, so no need to spend the time to pick the group apart with the glass on a tripod.

A caveat I would add is that if you're going to do any kind of filming, whether it be with a Phone Skope or a traditional camera, a tripod would be a necessity for quality video.
        This.
        In nearly thirty yrs, and several dozen elk, I've never once carried binoculars.
        Only time I've had any optics was a couple yrs we used a spotter in the canyons, up above Paonia.
        You can tell a if a bull is 300 or 350+ from 1/2 a mile with just your eyes.
        Unless you're trying to decide on whether he's a 426" or 431" they're just extra weight I don't need.
        In that case though, you will absolutely need a pair of Swaro ELs, with 4k lenses .
        Elk are like horses, not really anything subtle about them.

Comment

Originally posted by TradAg02 View Post
          I pack a tripod for mule deer, but don’t for elk. Unless you are hunting for a trophy, I’d save the money and weight. Resting your binos on a short trekking pole while seated should get you stable enough to spot elk farther away than you can hike.
          Originally posted by wytex View Post
          Save some weight and just have some trekking poles or a walking stick to rest them on.
          Most of your elk glassing will be seated, rest your elbows on knees for solid rest.
          Mule deer are also more open country animals , elk more so in timber but not always.
          Elk racks are also very easy to spot from a distance, mulies need some closer looks to know what they are carrying on their heads.
          Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
          Yes less time for elk than deer. Elk stick out big time and it's pretty easy to see them in meadows and hillsides from far away. If you're cow hunting in September and you see a group of elk, there's probably a target in there for you, so no need to spend the time to pick the group apart with the glass on a tripod.

A caveat I would add is that if you're going to do any kind of filming, whether it be with a Phone Skope or a traditional camera, a tripod would be a necessity for quality video.
          I doubt I'll be doing any filming but that's a good point I hadn't thought of.

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
          You can call in elk, and they tend to stick to thicker timber, by second week of Sept if you see cows they will have a bull there some where.

My range finder is 7x... about all I need for archery elk
          Haha, I wish I could call Elk! Appreciate the vote of confidence though. It is something I intend to learn though as I don't want to always just be chasing cows.

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
          This.
          In nearly thirty yrs, and several dozen elk, I've never once carried binoculars.
          Only time I've had any optics was a couple yrs we used a spotter in the canyons, up above Paonia.
          You can tell a if a bull is 300 or 350+ from 1/2 a mile with just your eyes.
          Unless you're trying to decide on whether he's a 426" or 431" they're just extra weight I don't need.
          In that case though, you will absolutely need a pair of Swaro ELs, with 4k lenses .
          Elk are like horses, not really anything subtle about them.
          Thank you to all for your feedback. I think y'all got me convinced to surpass the tripod, at least for my first trip, and just use the trek pole as needed. I'll be in unit 75/751 and from what I can tell so far, not many meadows to be found in the wilderness area which is where I plan to focus my efforts.

Comment

Get yourself a cow call, bite and blow type, Primos and Carlton both make good ones. Cowgirl and lonesome cow calls.
            Not hard to learn those types. Comes in handy just walking or trying to sneak in, elk make lots of sounds most times, if you break a branch or something in good spot then give a soft cow call.
            Use your binos to scan the area in front of you in the timber, lots of times we've had bulls and other elk walk right in on us while sitting a trail and walking down one.
            Those binos will help in locating elk in the dark timber, you'll be surprised how little they stand out in the trees.

Comment

I’m digging it. Last night I exported my pins out of OnX and imported into GoHunt. Very easy to do,m; the pins maintained their original name/label but obviously all the icons are now the exact same.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                I’m digging it. Last night I exported my pins out of OnX and imported into GoHunt. Very easy to do,m; the pins maintained their original name/label but obviously all the icons are now the exact same.
                Did you use OnX mobile app or web version to export? .KML or .GPX?

Comment

Binos:
                  Early season: I usually carry 8x as much for scanning terrain and routes as anything.
                  Late season - past mid Oct. 12x and tripod

Comment

Well I successfully nabbed a leftover Sept bear tag in my Elk unit so I guess I'm all in looking for berries and scrub oak now. I timed that CPW page perfectly and got through the load balancing ticker 4 minutes before leftovers opened up, made me wish I had a plan for some of those good quality Elk unit tags that were on the list as I would have had a chance at them.

Comment

does goHunt work offline?

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                        Well I successfully nabbed a leftover Sept bear tag in my Elk unit so I guess I'm all in looking for berries and scrub oak now. I timed that CPW page perfectly and got through the load balancing ticker 4 minutes before leftovers opened up, made me wish I had a plan for some of those good quality Elk unit tags that were on the list as I would have had a chance at them.

I thought about trying to snag one but I’ll be completely honest I have no clue what my main otc unit will be. I may hunt 2-3 of them lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                          I thought about trying to snag one but I’ll be completely honest I have no clue what my main otc unit will be. I may hunt 2-3 of them lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          It’s a rifle tag, and usually the management zone is a group of units

Comment

Originally posted by Punkin View Post
                            I doubt I'll be doing any filming but that's a good point I hadn't thought of.

Haha, I wish I could call Elk! Appreciate the vote of confidence though. It is something I intend to learn though as I don't want to always just be chasing cows.

Thank you to all for your feedback. I think y'all got me convinced to surpass the tripod, at least for my first trip, and just use the trek pole as needed. I'll be in unit 75/751 and from what I can tell so far, not many meadows to be found in the wilderness area which is where I plan to focus my efforts.

Big *** old burn on the west side.... google is a love hate. That timber can be much thicker or much thinner then it appears

Comment

Sorry, I didn’t read through the whole thread to try and see if someone’s already answered but Colorado regs say:

EVIDENCE OF SEX IS: BUCK/BULL Head with antlers or horns attached To carcass; Testicle, scrotum or penis attached to carcass.
                              If you bone out the animal, how do you leave the skull attached to the carcass? Take the spinal column?

Comment

Originally posted by SkipShot76 View Post
                                Did you use OnX mobile app or web version to export? .KML or .GPX?
                                Web version; .kml file.

Comment

Working...
                                X