Geo Thermal AC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geo Thermal AC

Does anybody have any experience with a geo thermal ac system? They cost about 1.5x more to install, but supposedly they last longer, require less maintenance, and cost less to use. I love a cool house in the summer, but hate paying for it. Thoughts?

Seems like it would be a heck of a lot more expensive than 1.5x a standard ac.

Comment

Been there, done that. Had geothermal heat and A/C in a 3500 sq ft house. Heat sink was out under the front yard. My heating and cooling bill was not noticeably different as a result. We did not have the system installed, it came with the house.

Are you building new? If so then foam the house and do all the other tricks to increase its effectiveness and then maybe you can see a difference in your bill. I think you are better off with high efficiency A/C units combined with foam and good windows. Less expensive and not so long to recover your upfront cost.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

My neighbor is a well driller and he also drills holes for installs on these. I asked him about drilling and piping hot water but he said the systems don’t have to have hot water ground water. Apparently the majority of the cost is drilling all the holes necessary and setting all the pipes in the ground necessary to conduct the thermal balance/imbalance from the soil into the living areas. It’s similar to a heat pump system in the fact that it’s based around moderating slightly above or slightly below 70°F...year round.

Good luck Bort.

Comment

I can have an entire new electric or gas system installed for 10-12k. Realistically I cant see hiring out for a geo thermal system being installed for less than 30k.

Comment

Deal with them quite a bit on the commercial side. Wouldn't recommend for residential. Compressors run for heating and cooling. A new conventional system will be just as efficient, assuming you have natural gas for heating. If not I would go with a air to air heat pump.

Comment

Foam the house and do a complete variable speed system. Best thing you can do. Trane or Lennox.

Comment

Working...
                X