No announcement yet.

3/4 or 1 ton diesel truck help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My uncle had an '11 Chevy 2500 Dmax. Had a transmission hose blow out on him at 10k miles and left him stranded on the side of the road in a puddle of tranny fluid. Under warranty of course but he said it never ran the same afterwards. Traded it in yesterday for a '14 Ford f250 platinum. That thing is night and day from the Chevy. IMHO.

Comment

Dodge trucks are cheap junk buy a ford!

Comment

I have no problem pulling a fifth wheel or goose neck with my truck

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
          Dodge trucks are cheap junk buy a ford!

Lol. None of the diesel trucks on the market today are "junk". Your truck will only last as long as you let it. Meaning you have to take care of them. If you beat the hell out of a truck of course it's going to give out on your quicker.

I run a landscaping company. We have 5 1 ton dodges, 4 1 ton fords and 2 one ton Chevys. All of them have made is over 200k hard miles. Towing heavy 5 days a week 52 weeks a year. All have had minimal problems with just general maintenance. IMHO you really can't go wrong with any of the big three. Me personally, I'm a dodge man and always have been. My advice is to go test drive all three and pick the one that fits you best.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFoot View Post
            You done opened up a can of worms! (I love my 6.0 too)
            Me 3

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
              Long bed. Ford 2006 6.0 here- going strong.

Originally posted by BigFoot View Post
              You done opened up a can of worms! (I love my 6.0 too)

Originally posted by DS_1974 View Post
              Me 3

The 6.0 is a great motor if you bullet proof it. Those things will run like a scalded dog if you build them right.

Comment

Originally posted by MySRT8U View Post
                The 6.0 is a great motor if you bullet proof it. Those things will run like a scalded dog if you build them right.
                While I agree with you, its probably smart not to mention it on TBH. The thread WILL get hijacked and it will become a 6.0 debate.. I've seen it happen many a time and participated in most

Comment

6.4 F250...no issues..keeping mind...will you pull 1 or 2 weeks a year, or 80% of the time..on the few times a year..short bed..fords are 6'-9"beds..i know, i own one...if you do *0% or so, the long bed will keep you from needing a slider hitch...I know folks that chase insurance with short 6.0 fords and 5th wheels...300k miles...they left the un-chipped..and had no issues....

Comment

My vote is for the Dmax. I love mine. I have had 2 and my GF has one and we haven't had any problems with em. The engine and tranny combo on them is the best on the market.

Comment

3/4 or 1 ton diesel truck help needed

My 5th wheel is only ~32 footer, but my short bed 6.7 Ford pulls it just fine without a slider. I use a B&W hitch set towards the rear (still over the axle) and can turn pretty darn sharp.
                      Here it is towing my stuff home from the lease last week.

It does just fine as long as I keep 6th locked out for all but flatland ( not an issue when single towing)
                      Pulls like a dream in 5th, 2100 rpm's at 73ish mph with plenty of boost on tap if needed.
                      It Got 8.6- 8.9mpg double pulling this trip.

I have to watch my speed going up long hills because it would creep to 80mph real easy. Thank goodness my copilot was keeping a better eye on the GPS speed than I was (don't want to be changing flat trailer tires).

One thing that sucks for the Ford short bed is the smallish ~26 gallon fuel tank they put in them. Besides that I wouldn't change a thing.
                      If you go with a newer F250, budget ahead for airbags- otherwise you'll be looking at the sky when you tow.
                      I like having them, I can adjust psi going down the road to match the ride I want or level the truck if need be.

A short box F350 would be my first choice if $$ is less of a concern. The 350's don't cost that much more, but finding a good deal on one sitting on the lot is another story- they usually don't order too many short box 350's so have less (or none) on hand to deal on.

Have fun with your choice!
                      Last edited by DaveC; 01-01-2014, 09:02 PM.

Comment

It is ridiculous to spend the money on any diesel and then have to pay extra, to bullet proof it. My certified Ford mechanic said it was a waste of money and really does not bullet proof one as some say. This is not a mechanic at Ford but one that was and now has a very good shop of his own. this is just his opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                          It is ridiculous to spend the money on any diesel and then have to pay extra, to bullet proof it. My certified Ford mechanic said it was a waste of money and really does not bullet proof one as some say. This is not a mechanic at Ford but one that was and now has a very good shop of his own. this is just his opinion.
                          I agree 100% with you. Why should you pay 15-20K for a truck then have to dump 10K into it just so it will work as it should have from the factory.

Comment

Having owned Ford and Dodge Diesels, I would go with the Dodge, the Cummins is pretty much known as the best engine on the market, and the only one that follows the inline 6 cylinder layout that is the norm in big rig engines. Dodge transmissions have been plagued in the past with problems, but from all accounts, the newer transmissions are MUCH better than the old ones. NONE of these trucks are bullet proof, you have to maintain them all and treat them right, so look at recommended maintenance schedules and figure out which one is going to cost the most to maintain. If you maintain it as recommended, it will hold up fine, regardless which one you pick.

On the issue of bed length, i say long, for multiple reasons. Number one, when you're not pulling, you can just flat hall more in a long bed than a short bed. Secondly, when you are pulling, the long bed will allow you to take advantage of the tighter turning radius (both forward and reverse) that the 5th wheel/goose neck allows over a bumper pull. Short bed, you run a significant risk of getting the cab and trailer together, and that's not pretty. Some mentioned the ease of maneuvering when not towing, and while a short bed will always be easier to park than a long bed, brand makes a difference to. Fords have a horrible turning radius, when I drove a Ford, and even now when I'm driving the fords at work, i joke about parking my Peterbuilt. When I bought my Dodge, it was like a whole other world. The Ford short beds are better than the long beds, but my experience has been that a long bed Dodge is still better than a short bed Ford on turning radius.

Comment

I own a concrete construction company and run dodges . I trashed 2 6.0 fords and when the ford "tech" told me it was smoking because the cranking amps were to low on the batteries that ended it for ford . Ive put over 200k miles on my last 3 dodges with out and problems . And this is hauling dozers hay etc at least 4 days a week . Not to mention dodges are cheaper .

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                                I own a concrete construction company and run dodges . I trashed 2 6.0 fords and when the ford "tech" told me it was smoking because the cranking amps were to low on the batteries that ended it for ford . Ive put over 200k miles on my last 3 dodges with out and problems . And this is hauling dozers hay etc at least 4 days a week . Not to mention dodges are cheaper .
                                LOL. Gotta love those stealership techs.

Comment

Working...
                                X