Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mosseberg Shockwave,Remington Tac-14....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mosseberg Shockwave,Remington Tac-14....

Or the Semi Automatic version by Remington? Do any of y'all have any of these guns,would you recommend any of them? Since they came out with these things I've thought about buying one. My only worry is, are they very practical?

The main reason I'd want one is so while I'm predator huntin I can carry a rifle and a shotgun and cut down on weight quite a bit. Since I hunt solo I have to carry all the gear and if I'm lucky I'm carrying a coyote or bobcat back with me. So I feel like one of these would come in handy for close up coyotes without lugging around a shotgun with a 20+ inch barrel and a stock plus a rifle and having to fight my gear the whole way. The only draw back I see is I don't think any of them are set up to where you can use a screw in choke so I'm not sure about how well they would pattern out to 35 yards.
    Last edited by okrattler; 07-03-2022, 05:41 PM.

I had an 870 with a Choate pistol grip once. Still have the 870 but I shed that pistol grip pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      I had an 870 with a Choate pistol grip once. Still have the 870 but I shed that pistol grip pretty quickly.
      Supposedly the design of the grip on these is supposed to cut down on recoil. I've watched videos of people shootin them and they seemed pretty tame. But of course accuracy won't be near as good with one that doesn't have a traditional butt stock on it. But I figure out to 35 yards I should be able to hit a coyote. If I can get pellets out there and hit vitals that far out. They may not be no 35 yard gun.

Both were a concern because I ain't wanting to bring one of these guns up at the moment of truth and get cracked on the side of the face. Or just completely miss altogether. Neither scenario would make me feel very good.

The semi automatic is pretty sweet but Remington has kind of gotten a bad rap the past few years so I don't know.
      Last edited by okrattler; 07-03-2022, 06:13 PM.

Comment

I have a Tac14. Had a few years now. A lot of firepower in a small package. Recoil is not as bad as you think. What I do not like is. On mine, if you fire it one handed with field loads. The bolt blows back open and the shell ALMOST stove pipes like a semi auto would. Remington said the gun needs to be shot with two hands and to make sure the fore end is held firmly. My friend has the Mossberg Shockwave. His action does not open if firing one handed with same loads. You can get a pistol brace for it and it would be a handy companion with it over your shoulder in a scabbard. But it is weighty.
        Have you considered a combo gun like Savage Model 24?

Comment

Savage Model 24. Lots of rifle combos. Also Valmet makes a lot of shot/rifle combos. And you can get double rifle or double shot barrels too. Barrels are interchangeable.

Comment

I've thought about the combo guns like the model Savage model 24 and that would be fine for the most part. But there are instances where I have multiple coyotes come in. I don't know that I could reload fast enough to be very effective when that happens if I just had two shots.

Comment

Just get a single barrel break action shotgun and shorten it to 18 inches and have a screw in choke put in it. Lighter than one of the pistol pumps, Far more accurate to shoot, sighting down the barrel, Probably not going to get but one good shot at vermin anyway. Pistol grip shotguns are "bedroom distance" weapons...A lightweight 20 gauge semi auto shortened might fit the bill, too, if you are determined to get off more than one shot. My own experience calling in coyotes is that I never got off more than maybe two shots. Of course, there is a lot of cover around here, and they don't waste any time getting to it..
              Last edited by softpoint; 07-03-2022, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Back when I lived in the south Texas brush country I’d Predator hunt as much as I fish now.

I’d carry a dove stool, FoxPro, shooting sticks, feather on a stick, rifle over one shoulder, and a 20ga youth 870 over the other.

Carrying critters out, would be a bit hectic, but they didn’t sell for anything down there so unless I was close to the truck, I’d leave them lay.

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                  Just get a single barrel break action shotgun and shorten it to 18 inches and have a screw in choke put in it. Lighter than one of the pistol pumps, Far more accurate to shoot, sighting down the barrel, Probably not going to get but one good shot at vermin anyway. Pistol grip shotguns are "bedroom distance" weapons...A lightweight 20 gauge semi auto shortened might fit the bill, too, if you are determined to get off more than one shot. My own experience calling in coyotes is that I never got off more than maybe two shots. Of course, there is a lot of cover around here, and they don't waste any time getting to it..
                  I haven't really thought of that but that may be a good deal as well. My way of thinking was having at least 5 shots or so in a shotgun would be the best way to go in case I have one that don't go down right away then some more for further shots. I've called in 8,6,5,3 and 2 at once time on one stand and there's no telling how many will come in close together,how close they'll get or how long they'll stick around. That last time I called in 6 I had them running all over the place. I ended up killing 3 of em. I should have killed 4.

It really just depends on where I'm calling. Some places it's real thick and I stick to shotgun only in those places. Other spots I may see them coming from literally 3/4 of a mile or better if conditions are right. And I've had them come into shotgun range after seeing them that far out. It really just depends on the terrain I choose to call. I'm used to carrying a Benelli Super Nova which is kind of heavy especially if I take two guns. I've always just went back multiple times to pack coyotes out if I shot more than one. I've actually thought about taking a little wagon along before as weird as that sounds. It's hard work walking all that way dragging a few coyotes plus a call bag and extra bullets and two guns. That's mainly why I just carry a rifle if hunting solo but sure enough I miss one every now and again because I get lazy and carry the wrong gun. That costs me money when one runs off. I've had to sit and watch a $45 coyote run for a mile a few times. That hurts my feelings.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                    Back when I lived in the south Texas brush country I’d Predator hunt as much as I fish now.

I’d carry a dove stool, FoxPro, shooting sticks, feather on a stick, rifle over one shoulder, and a 20ga youth 870 over the other.

Carrying critters out, would be a bit hectic, but they didn’t sell for anything down there so unless I was close to the truck, I’d leave them lay.
                    Some places I can do that but if I know it's thick cover I chance it and use a shotgun only most of the time. But a few times I've been in open county and had more than one run in. Things can get kinda crazy, especially earlier in the season when the young ones are a little dumber and eager to run the call over. Of course 8 out of 10 times you'll only get one or two at the most to respond. But I always like to be prepared. Since a lot of the time it's bitter cold outside when I'm calling so I want to be ready if more than one or two decide to run in. I'm already freezing so I want to feel a little better about that walk back to the vehicle. I'd rather be sweating from carrying critters and heavy guns than cussing myself for screwing up.

The main problem with up here is in some places you have to walk a long ways to make a stand so that your vehicle is hidden. 1 mile North of my house is as flat as pancake. 1 mile South of my house you can literally park,walk over a few hills and call in a coyote. Depending on what wind I have I can only call one of those two places. That's how a lot of the places I hunt are. The further South I go it's a lot easier.
                    Last edited by okrattler; 07-04-2022, 01:39 AM.

Comment

18” barreled AR-15 chamber it in .204 Ruger and throw a 4x acog on it. Can still rock and roll out to 300 no problem at all and still excellent inside 30 as well for when you need that versatility.

I personally gave up the shotgun years ago. Would rather carry a .223 AR with a red dot on it for close to medium range work because I can still get out to 200 yds if need to no problem and don’t have to worry about them not being close enough but still fast as hell for those stupid close ones. But I have shot a lot with the old cz 527 .204 Ruger inside 50 yds with no problems with a vx3 4.5-14 that was sitting on 4.5 power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X