Aiming systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 under.

Sight picture relative to known or guestimated distance (dont look at my arrow).

I am a conscious analytical aimer. I don't have depth perception. I focus on the spot once I am "locked in" as a way to relax for the follow thru... and not as a way to let my subconsious take over.

I am a hack at best... but I wouldn't change the way I shoot. I find that success more or less comes with spending time shooting your bow and being happy.

Comment

It's hard to change when you are having success but every now and then I feel like everyone else has a better grasp on it than I do.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

3 under fixed crawl. My point-on is 20 yards. So i gap shoot with the fixed crawl accordingly if the shot is less than 20 or over 20.

I started out trying to shoot instinctive for the first year and a half. I never could get consistent. I could do fairly well after a few practice shots. The problem is that in the woods, it's the 1st shot that counts.

My shooting has improved drastically since going to the fixed crawl. I don't see myself ever shooting instinctive again.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
          Interesting that you don't set elevation with your tip, but you focus on it at full draw... I shoot best when I get soft vision overall. Not that anything is out of focus, but I am not particularly keyed in on any one aspect of the sight picture. This only happens when I'm really focused on pulling through whatever psycho trigger or clicker I'm currently shooting with.
          Once I retune to longer arrows...Ill make myself adjust to point gap elevation for all distances. I just cant gap less than 30 yards with current arrows...too much wiggle room and not enough sight radius for a good visible front sight blade/point. I think a good arrow setup with 29” of arrow shaft or more will be great to achieve my point gap goal.

My current 27 3/4” arrow setup hasty elevation is mapped out as follows:
          10 yards is 15 yard riser tape mark is at deer belly. 15 yd mark is 15 yards. 15 yard tape mark at top of deer back is 20 yds. 15 yd mark a smidge above spine, 4-6” higher, is 25 yards. 30 yds is point under. Anything over 30 yards aint happening...until I venture to point-on somewhere between 35-40yds.

No targets presented themselves this morning.

Gary I hope you get your range of motion back and quit hurting. Good luck on the procedures.

Comment

Thanx. Unfortunately the procedure is pretty routine for me. Third time around. I just waited a long time in between this time but when it started to affect my shooting I said "time to go".[emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787]

Comment

I suppose I should update this. I picked up a little bit of string walking last week while practicing shooting out of a tree stand. I don't crawl for most ranges, but inside of 13 yards I just have to aim too low for my liking, so I drop my hand down the string a bit now.

So now I'm a 3 under, riser gap shooter, who string walks on occasion.

Comment

That tells me you can improvise, adapt and overcome. [emoji106]

Comment

Dug up this old one.
                  I recently switched to 3 under and am using a gap to shoot. It cost me an inch of draw length and my bow is louder. Mostly with the recurve limbs. I had to move my nock point up an it even affected my brace heights some. Took working through multiple anchor points to get to where I am now but I'm liking where this one is as it gives me better alignment and back tension is easier.
                  It gained me real accuracy out to twenty five yards. I'm still working on the longer distance thing. Probably will be a face walking solution but for now I need to focus on hunting season and have all my set ups nailed down well in advance of September 1st. And I need to write down the related info for each bow because it's different for each bow and arrow set up.
                  But even at hunting range it's made an incredible difference in the confidence in which I shoot. Couple that with the tips Joel Turner gave me and I have a more controlled shot.
                  Didn't think I ever would but man I'm glad I did.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                    That tells me you can improvise, adapt and overcome. [emoji106]

Oorah.
                    Keep on keepin on.

Comment

3under gap for me I’m trying to shoot a league that shoots from 60,50 and 40 it’s not going good for me

Comment

Originally posted by 5ks View Post
                        3under gap for me I’m trying to shoot a league that shoots from 60,50 and 40 it’s not going good for me

900 Round??? That’s tough with a read bow with no sights!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by 5ks View Post
                          That's some long shots. I know my gaps out to about 50, and shoot pretty decent out to 30. But 40-50-60 is a whole different game for me still.

Comment

I went to an ASA shoot last Saturday, and I'll be the first to admit I had too many things on my mind at one time. At home I've been working on a slightly different bow hand position, a change to anchor, and a more relaxed release. Usually one at a time, and at close distances. The ASA shoot had us shooting out to 30, with about 14 of 30 targets between 24-30 yards. Not my strongest distances, and after some inner thinking back and forth, I opted to shoot the way I was comfortable with and put more work in at home on the new stuff. Common sense, but sometimes the ego has to be knocked down a peg or two before my common sense takes hold.

Comment

I switched to string walking about 3 months ago. At first wasn't grouping well. But now shooting really well. Took some getting use too.

Comment

That's true. I went into the Bob Lee shoot having not shot my recurve limbs 3 under and gapping with wood or carbon. Was adjusting nock points and guessing a lot for those two rounds and finally got close towards the end of them.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X