Best turkey feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best turkey feed

There is only a few, but I am determined to increase the numbers. We are putting a couple of designated turkey feeders on some new property
    Going to have one “elevated deck” type and one broadcast in addition to multiple timed corn feeders. They are already visiting the corn feeders. I have planted winter food plots already also.

What is the best feed for them over the winter ?

BTW. I have reduced the predator numbers substantially already and will continue that fight

Thank you

Clay

I put a Turkey feeders up on an elivited platform type feeder. Was about 5 feet up. Had no luck at all. Caught them underneath as they were walking by but never up top. Had to pour feed out eventually.

Comment

The flock will move off in the winter. Ours went about 3 miles north of their spring grounds...

Comment

Milo, we put out a few Milo hay bales for the cows years back. They scratched on it everyday that winter. My buddy would add it to his corn feeders as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SHSU18 View Post
          I put a Turkey feeders up on an elivited platform type feeder. Was about 5 feet up. Had no luck at all. Caught them underneath as they were walking by but never up top. Had to pour feed out eventually.
          I have seen them use these feeders, but I am afraid it is a waste of time also
          Perhaps adding Milo to my corn feeders is the best alternative

Not sure where I find milo hay in my area, but I would like to try it.

Comment

I like to feed them 3-1/2” #5’s!

Comment

We have too many in goliad
              Eat all my hand corn

Not enough here to hunt but I have a dream

Comment

I have an all seasons turkey feeder about 20 yards from my broadcast feeder, set on the ground. The turkey feeder is mixed with cracked corn and milo. Seen them walk right by it and never seen on touch it. They just hit up the broadcast feeder. I've seen the deer hit the turkey feeder as well though.

I thought i would have problems with hogs but so far they haven't messed with the turkey feeder.

Comment

It sounds like they are already coming? Unlikely you will attract additional flocks by adding more feed

Comment

I prefer milo, because deer pretty much leave it alone. Hen scratch works as well, but deer will eat that.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
                      I like to feed them 3-1/2” #5’s!
                      I see what you did there LMAO !!!!! Although I prefer 3 1/2" #9 TSS

Comment

Milo 100%

Comment

Thanks guys.
                          Deer hit a broadcast feeder the first couple of nights loaded with milo, hen-scratch, and regular corn.
                          I have it going off late morning and early afternoon

If it’s looks like it’s worth it, I will build an elevated feeder when I see more turkey.
                          Right now still working on water and varmints.

Comment

Anybody have good luck with elevated platform feeders?
                            I have a world of coons in spite of non coon looking habitat.

BP

Comment

milo and chicken scratch combo mix - the scratch is expensive so get a 50 lb sack of it at a feed store, not an ace hardware -

Comment

Working...
                              X