Let's make a fishing lure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's make a fishing lure

I'm going to try to show my attempt at building a jointed wake bait out of poplar. I've made a few won lures but I'm more of a soft plastic guy. First I'll draw it up. I want a longer style lure like a top water type. I've been catching quite a few redfish on wakers lately so I want to make one of my own.
    Attached Files

Once I got the shape the way I like I cut the tape and extended the lure about a 1/4" to have room for the joint.
    Attached Files

Comment

I cut it out on the band saw. Then I'll sand to the line.
      Attached Files

Comment

Neato. I've never seen one of these made before.

Comment

I hope I don't screw it up lol. I mark it for the chamfer and will carve the edges with a box cutter
          Attached Files

Comment

Carved the edges and did a lot of sanding. Poplar is a good wood to use for this, it's got a tight grain and sands well.
            Attached Files

Comment

I drilled a hole thru the lure to mark where the eyes will be. This way they will be even. I also cut the slot for the bill whole it was still square.

Comment

Cool project!!

Comment

Next I drilled a 3/8" hole for the weight, this is to make it stay upright while sitting in the water. I put an 1/8 oz split shot and some lead from a 7 1/2 shot 12 gauge round to fill the void. I filled it with sawdust and superglue. Then sanded it smooth.
                  Attached Files

Comment

After all that sanding now the scary part. Cutting it in half. I cut it midway of the lure. I'm hoping the joint will exaggerate the wobble of the near vertical bill. The bill angle is 85 degrees so it's pretty straight down.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Next I used a Dremel tool round both ends to match. I'll drill a hole for a pin and put a slot for a screw eye.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I twisted a screw eye and a pin. I used the Dremel to cut a slot in the middle of the front, the screw eye ( in the middle of the back) goes into the slot and the pin goes thru it, this makes the joint.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Tomorrow I'll seal it, make the bill, paint it and try to get it finished up.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Cool project

Comment

Mad mad skillzzz!

Comment

Working...
                              X