Video- RACCOON PROBLEM! How to Put a Stop Raccoons to Emptying your Feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
    Thank you. That was a great video. Does everyone use a 22 to dispatch? What if you were trying to keep the noise down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22lr to the noggin' here all year. Don't trap during season at the feed pen I plan on hunting that weekend so a 22 is no big deal.

Comment

Thank you. That was a great video. Does everyone use a 22 to dispatch? What if you were trying to keep the noise down?

22 lr with subsonic hollow points (hard to find these days). I prefer iron sights on a 10/22.

Comment

Good job on the coon control. I gets western real quick trying to let a fox out of those traps, been there once.

Comment

Gamo Whisper Pellet Gun @ .22 caliber is highly effective and quieter.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin View Post
            Good job on the coon control. I gets western real quick trying to let a fox out of those traps, been there once.

Thanks Steve and you’re right about the fox. When I made the decision to set the video camera up I knew it would go one of two ways, but I figured why not. I knew it would make good viewing content either way it went [emoji23].

Comment

Serious question. My coons have no problem finding corn or protein. Why do y’all use stuff that gets sticky or stinky when you can just put corn or protein in the traps?

Comment

Originally posted by dosrobles View Post
                Serious question. My coons have no problem finding corn or protein. Why do y’all use stuff that gets sticky or stinky when you can just put corn or protein in the traps?

I’m sure the corn works fine, but raccoons just have a weakness for sweets. So the sweets are just the next level up as far as appealing to their senses.
                As far as the sticky- there are times when i was l learning back in the past (experimenting with baits) when we would come back and see an empty trap with no bait at all left in it and the trap is still set. If using something sticky it seems that it increases the odds. I think of it like them getting all the icing off the sides of Moms cake icing bowl after she’s done decorating the cake with it the bulk of it. They just tend to keep scooping for more if they haven’t set the trigger off yet with the main content.
                It may be a little overkill but it’s producing extremely well.

Comment

I'll add to RamBows if you don't mind.....

We have caught 443(yes I keep tabs) since June of 2015 when we started with the dog proofs. I'd venture to say that 70% of those were caught with marshmallows in the spring, winter, and fall. They work very well and are consistent. I'm not sure if our coons have a weakness for sweets as that deep in the woods they have never really been exposed to sweets (except maybe cactus tunas) but the smell of the MMs sure makes them curious and want to stick their hand in there. If we can set them and the MMs won't melt we will use them....even if it is a mixture of protein/corn and a couple of small MMs. We all know they there for the protein and corn but that MM will get them to diggin around even with corn and protein on the ground.

During the hotter months we started avoiding the MM because they melt and create a mess plus, they attract ants. We were hardheaded at first but after a few years we stopped using them during the heat of the year. With 30+ traps it can be a real PITA on cleanup getting it out not to mention the ants. We will switch over to the protein or corn and they work pretty good if all the corn and protein is gone for the day. Sometimes during the work weekends you are working in the pen when the feeders go off due to time constraints and the deer don't come till later. The coons will eat off the ground if its there when we leave. Ours will usually avoid the traps if there is food available on the ground so we try to not be in there during feeding times if we can.. Corn and protein also let you set the traps as you visit each feedpen in the heat and it can be ready for action as soon as it gets dark. There is no need to make a coon trap run setting them if you can set them as you go. With our rocky arse lease roads, you save wear and tear where you can when setting at 5-8 pens. One thing I do like about corn and protein in the hot months, is you can check traps with a drive by and can leave set all weekend until they catch something or you want to take them down. That makes for a quick route before you go back to lease work.

We used to pull the marshmallows out each morning during the summer months and reset each night to avoid the mess.. We soon realized what a waste and PITA that was. Now its corn or protein in the hot months. Do what works for you though....this is what works for us...YMMV.. Sorry for the long winded response..
                  Last edited by Smart; 08-01-2022, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    I'll add to RamBows if you don't mind.....

We have caught 443(yes I keep tabs) since June of 2015 when we started with the dog proofs. I'd venture to say that 70% of those were caught with marshmallows in the spring, winter, and fall. They work very well and are consistent. I'm not sure if our coons have a weakness for sweets as that deep in the woods they have never really been exposed to sweets (except maybe cactus tunas) but the smell of the MMs sure makes them curious and want to stick their hand in there. If we can set them and the MMs won't melt we will use them....even if it is a mixture of protein/corn and a couple of small MMs. We all know they there for the protein and corn but that MM will get them to diggin around even with corn and protein on the ground.

During the hotter months we started avoiding the MM because they melt and create a mess plus, they attract ants. We were hardheaded at first but after a few years we stopped using them during the heat of the year. With 30+ traps it can be a real PITA on cleanup getting it out not to mention the ants. We will switch over to the protein or corn and they work pretty good if all the corn and protein is gone for the day. Sometimes during the work weekends you are working in the pen when the feeders go off due to time constraints and the deer don't come till later. The coons will eat off the ground if its there when we leave. Ours will usually avoid the traps if there is food available on the ground so we try to not be in there during feeding times if we can.. Corn and protein also let you set the traps as you visit each feedpen in the heat and it can be ready for action as soon as it gets dark. There is no need to make a coon trap run setting them if you can set them as you go. With our rocky arse lease roads, you save wear and tear where you can when setting at 5-8 pens. One thing I do like about corn and protein in the hot months, is you can check traps with a drive by and can leave set all weekend until they catch something or you want to take them down. That makes for a quick route before you go back to lease work.

We used to pull the marshmallows out each morning during the summer months and reset each night to avoid the mess.. We soon realized what a waste and PITA that was. Now its corn or protein in the hot months. Do what works for you though....this is what works for us...YMMV.. Sorry for the long winded response..

Good write up smart. That’s true about the cleanup. I will add My second best bait I’ve used and easy to clean out was Sweet Feed (in my case from TSC). I sorta forgot about it this summer since I’m usually not willing to spend $15 on a bag unless I’m chasing axis deer with my bow. If I have it around I’ll mix that in too.

Comment

Shudda thumped that fox though ....

I know it Smart. Guess I’m getting soft in my mid 40s now

Comment

Cheapest brand dry cat food is what I use.

Comment

Smart and Ram, I appreciate it. I put a protein feeder out right after last deer season and have 6 traps set around it (5 if you don’t count the one I shot when the coon charged me). I have killed 40-50 coons in that time frame. Pass on the “sticky and stinky” stuff. We seem to do ok with out but I get it.

I’d have let the fox go too.

Comment

Can get the dukes dp traps on Amazon. Bought mine on there and can get free shipping with the Amazon prime. Usually one to two days shipping

Comment

Smart and Ram, I appreciate it. I put a protein feeder out right after last deer season and have 6 traps set around it (5 if you don’t count the one I shot when the coon charged me). I have killed 40-50 coons in that time frame. Pass on the “sticky and stinky” stuff. We seem to do ok with out but I get it.

I’d have let the fox go too.

Nice work! Sounds like our first two years! Crazy how many there can be on a piece of property. Did you add your totals for this year to our coon carnage post? You may have but just checking.

Comment

Nice work! Sounds like our first two years! Crazy how many there can be on a piece of property. Did you add your totals for this year to our coon carnage post? You may have but just checking.
                                I have tried to keep up. I probably have half of those on the carnage list. Once I saw the list I have kept up fairly well.

Comment

Working...
                                X