Living the dream: TX to AK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living the dream: TX to AK

My wife and I had talked about some goals and dreams for quite a while but the deal was we had to be married before we started to chase them. With her job field she can get a job anywhere at anytime so it was all dependent on me and landing a job. I had been applying for a job in AK since probably early 2021 but just never could close the deal. Would make it all the way through then always getting beat out by a candidate who was a resident. Very frustrating but understandable. We married in early May of this year and I had been on overdrive before and after the wedding trying to land a job making the expensive move worthwhile, as well as wanting to make the move before hunting season started. Fate would have it the stars aligned and I excepted a management position I had been hoping for in a place we both wanted to be.

Early July, my bride and I turned my truck northwest and set out for Seattle with the intent to put my truck, packed with all of our belongings, onto a ship and have it sent to anchorage. There we would pick it up by the 19th of July and drive several hours to our final destination. Our new home, 4300 miles from family, friends, memories and everything each of us have ever known.

The drive to Seattle was long, we saw a lot of things and places we would love to spend more time at one day. I think both of our favorite sights was driving through Utah seeing all the sandstone. Absolutely gorgeous rock structures.

My wife loves Alaska, loves salmon fishing, her favorite wild game meat is moose and berry black bears so it didn’t take much convincing or even much discussion other than jobs for us to decide to jump in with both feet. Living in Alaska and being a true mountain hunter hunting sheep, goats, and big bears every year, on my own DIY, is something I’ve dreamed about as long as I can remember. 2023 is going to be one heck of year as far as hunting experiences go.

Once we got up here we picked up my new to me boat I bought to run the rivers for hunting and fishing trips. Since we’ve been here we’ve been going 90 mph to put as much salmon in the freezer to last til next summer. So far we’ve been lucky and been able to have some pretty good days on the water. It’s been nice to fish for salmon on the weekends and a couple days a week after work.

Im looking forward to this fall chasing BIG rainbows, hopefully get a couple bears between the two of us, and check a couple new ducks off of the list. Here’s a little view out the living room window, once fall gets here and the leave start to fall we’ll have a clear view of the mountains and the river down below.

My first hunt this year I have an archery caribou hunt with a good buddy of mine (fellow TBHer). Looking forward to it as life doesn’t seem like it can get any better than 2022 has been, knowing 2023 will be even more exciting and eventful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get it while you’re young buddy, you are definitely on the right track ! Good luck in all endeavors !

Comment

Congrats on closing the deal on y’all’s dream.

Comment

Congrats! What area did y’all settle in?

Comment

Living the dream Amigo

Comment

That’s fantastic! Congratulations.

Comment

Congrats. Learn to fly or find a close friend that does. Opens up a lot of new territory in a state that size.

Comment

Congrats on making it happen! I wanted to do the same when I was younger, but ( now ex ) wasnt on board and I didnt have the guts.

Comment

Incredible. Please post more pics!
                  Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Most people dream about, most want to do it but don’t, some rare few do get to live their dreams. Congratulations to each of you for moving forward as a couple to experience and live your dreams!!

Comment

Awesome & beautiful area. I like watching the reality shows off the grid in Alaska

Comment

Have fun! I did it for 10 years in Juneau. I miss it but Texas is home.

Comment

Y’all in Anchorage? Congrats

Comment

Congrats, congrats and congrats!!! I will be in Fairbanks in 12 days for my Inland Grizzly hunt in unit 23!!! I have hunted Alaska at least 8 times but moving there is definitely a whole nother level!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy it yall!!!

Comment

Outstanding Sir and thank you for sharing y’all’s journey with us.

Comment

Working...
                              X