"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hacxor View Post
    I was out at granger and ran into someone hog hunting that told me about this forum. Unfortunately I don’t remember their name. It was on March 4th.

Here is from a shot I took yesterday, the arrow went straight through and I hit him a bit high. It wasn’t a kill shot unfortunately.

I think that was me, met you close to that feeder barrel. Walked in a lil further and showed you the hog nest, then the sow jump not even 20 yrds from us. If not, welcome to TBH anyways. 👍

Comment

I'll be heading out there tomorrow am.

Comment

Another unsuccessful hunt yesterday. Beautiful weather so we knew it was a spot N stalk or a game drive hunt. I wanted to hunt a new area with my buddy (who has a boat) so we hit Sore Finger. Landed at A on the photo, and walked to B. Wind out of the SE at 12 mph in mid afternoon.
        Saw some fresh rooting and tracks, but not overwhelming quantities. The trees on the peninsula are ALL willows and the walking was terrible. Lots of downed limbs. No clear game trails, impossible to move quietly. Saw . . . . . nothing. Well, not absolutely nothing, saw two deer. Will not hunt this area again.

Comment

Unsuccessful hunt today. Decided to hunt the far west edge of Willis Creek. Rain was supposed to end at 4 am but did not actually end until 7 am which delayed the start of the hunt. Damp ground made for silent walking. Hunted the red and orange paths shown on the map. Saw some fresh rooting but not much. Flushed one good sized boar at the spot marked with a yellow B, but he saw me first, so no shot taken on the frantically running animal. Saw 4 squirrels, one opossum, and 30 deer. While the brush was starting to green up, visibility was good, in places I could see 50 yards into the woods.
          Last edited by NightStalker; 03-30-2022, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Thanks for posting. Keep meaning to get out there before it hits 100 degrees but it hasn’t happened yet this year. Good luck

Comment

Hope to get one more in before the cooker starts. We'll see.

Comment

Anyone local who has river flow info for the San Gabriel?

Comment

Anyone been pushing pigs in this heat?

Comment

Originally posted by Wudstix View Post
                    Anyone been pushing pigs in this heat?
                    Why? So I can die of heat exhaustion?

Comment

This heat would definitely slow your stalking speed!!!

Comment

I started working Granger last fall time frame. I've taken a break with the heat, but before then I'd had pretty good luck stalking. We had a couple times with squirrel hunters coming in and causing chaos, but I was able to work the situation in my favor and come up on some hogs while they were worried about the shotguns going off elsewhere. I've picked up on a few other tricks just from going out there enough, but I wouldn't want to give all that away for everyone to see It seems like we have a few regulars in here, so maybe one of these weekends we'll have to meet up and exchange notes. I do have some questions about Granger for some of you more experienced guys/gals:

-Can anyone give me any backstory on the area? It's obvious there used to be a community of some sort there at one point. What used to be in the area? Are there any old maps or pictures?

-I'm assuming the tree stands out there are on public land, so it's fair game if the public uses them. But this is my first public land I've hunted, so what's the general etiquite in regards to those stands?

-Do y'all hear of there being any problems with people having game cameras stolen? As much as I think I have a process figured out, I think a camera could help me keep an eye on a few other areas to potentially modify my route.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost10mm View Post
                          -Can anyone give me any backstory on the area? It's obvious there used to be a community of some sort there at one point. What used to be in the area? Are there any old maps or pictures?
                          So the town of Friendship used to exist where the lake is now...there's a historical marker real close to the dam itself, you can read the historical marker and see a picture of it here (I can't post links as I'm too new, but Google "friendship texas granger historical marker" and the first link should be a website like WilcoHistory and that is the place). There's also an old map of Friendship on that website.

Seems the San Gabriel river used to flood a lot leading to construction of the dam. The old fence lines in Willis Creek and the pool in San Gabriel probably were just rural country houses that got condemned when they started working on the dam in the 70s-80s.

In full disclosure I'm not a local so someone else here might know a lot more. I spent a lot of time hunting up there during the drawn deer hunt last year, so I did some research on it.

Comment

Originally posted by PecanBuck View Post
                            So the town of Friendship used to exist where the lake is now...there's a historical marker real close to the dam itself, you can read the historical marker and see a picture of it here (I can't post links as I'm too new, but Google "friendship texas granger historical marker" and the first link should be a website like WilcoHistory and that is the place). There's also an old map of Friendship on that website.

Seems the San Gabriel river used to flood a lot leading to construction of the dam. The old fence lines in Willis Creek and the pool in San Gabriel probably were just rural country houses that got condemned when they started working on the dam in the 70s-80s.

In full disclosure I'm not a local so someone else here might know a lot more. I spent a lot of time hunting up there during the drawn deer hunt last year, so I did some research on it.
                            I appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by Lost10mm View Post
                              I started working Granger last fall time frame. I've taken a break with the heat, but before then I'd had pretty good luck stalking. We had a couple times with squirrel hunters coming in and causing chaos, but I was able to work the situation in my favor and come up on some hogs while they were worried about the shotguns going off elsewhere. I've picked up on a few other tricks just from going out there enough, but I wouldn't want to give all that away for everyone to see It seems like we have a few regulars in here, so maybe one of these weekends we'll have to meet up and exchange notes. I do have some questions about Granger for some of you more experienced guys/gals:

-I'm assuming the tree stands out there are on public land, so it's fair game if the public uses them. But this is my first public land I've hunted, so what's the general etiquite in regards to those stands?

-Do y'all hear of there being any problems with people having game cameras stolen? As much as I think I have a process figured out, I think a camera could help me keep an eye on a few other areas to potentially modify my route.
                              Re: tree stands. Regulations say you have to remove blinds and stands at end of season, but a lot of people don't. There are some old permanent stands you'll come up on, been there for many years. I think technically, you can hunt in any stand. That said, if the actual owner shows up, then you should vacate out of common courtesy. I would not climb or get into any tree stand that looks new, placed there in last year or so. If it looks like it gets occupied. Move on, or put up your own stand. There are some old blinds/stands out there that at this point, its first come first serve, but i've been hunting out there for 15 years and know which ones they are.

Re: game cameras. Unlocked game cams will get stolen occasionally...at least so i've heard. Even ones chained up and in boxes. It happens. That said, I see them frequently out there. I have put some out myself, but they are in a locked game cam box, chained around tree. It keeps the honest folks, honest. That's about all. I wouldn't hesitate to put out game cams, locked up. But I'd just set your expectations, they have a chance of getting nicked.

Comment

Going to get back at it. I would never climb a stand I did not errect. I made several ground blinds and found them "kicked" down??? No where near any visible other blinds. Never worried, just another day. Share be nice and enjoy. I hope to get drawn on the postcard entry. Been several years as caregiver to multi family serious issiues many still active but we must continue in our sport and have some fun. I turn 70 soon but still wear regualr undies and can out work many youngster in this unfreakin real heat. And many I can NOT. Best to all and to all a New night.

Comment

Working...
                                X