No announcement yet.

Speckled trout on the beaches yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably won’t be a popular reply but I don’t worry about sharks. I gave up wading years ago because of that flesh eating bacteria when the water gets really warm. From The first of June till late October I stay dry. And I don’t like waders. Just sayin.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
      Probably won’t be a popular reply but I don’t worry about sharks. I gave up wading years ago because of that flesh eating bacteria when the water gets really warm. From The first of June till late October I stay dry. And I don’t like waders. Just sayin.
      That's definitely a valid concern.. NASTY stuff and very common these days for whatever reason..

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post

Me too, but I still wade when we go to the Chandeleur Islands... Used to think that it was safe there from the bacteria, but I think it was 2 years ago when we were there in July, there had already been 2 cases of Vibrio at the southern end of the islands around Breton...

And one other pro tip... If you are afraid of sharks when wade fishing, you'd best just avoid the Chandeleur's altogether!! That's the most shark-infested place I've ever fished... Used to fish out of a sea plane and flying over other fishermen, it was unbelievable the number of BIG sharks they were in the water with and never knew it... I'm talkin' Jaws size sharks!

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
          NASTY stuff and very common these days for whatever reason..
          Social media.

I worry about it sometimes also and just wear breathable waders for peace of mind.

Comment

I agree with being more worried about vibrio than sharks.

Comment

Guys/Gals; in the grand scheme of things,there’s a lot of things out there that “can” hurt you. Fearing it enough that it keeps you from enjoying something isn’t always the best thing to do. For example, you have MUCH, MUCH higher odds of getting into a vehicle accident than getting Vibrio, but you still drive rather than taking a bus? You have MUCH higher odds of getting Heart disease by eating fatty foods or drinking too much alcohol, but most of us aren’t in tip-top shape and eating food that we should/shouldn’t…….than getting Vibrio. Point is, if you enjoy a healthy activity, do it and take precautions. If you have open wounds, maybe wait a couple days to fish. If you stick yourself with a hard head barb or cut yourself while in the salt, wash it with 10% bleach solution (I keep some on the boat). I just don’t understand the rationale of “I don’t do “x” because of “y”….. Heck, most of us got married, some multiple times and look at those odds 😁

Comment

Well I may have to stop posting on TBH because I'm skeer'd somebody might post back and hurt my feelings!

Comment

I think you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning while holding the winning lotto ticket, than getting vibro. I could be wrong though, I am a lot apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                    That's definitely a valid concern.. NASTY stuff and very common these days for whatever reason..
                    It’s actually not that common and it’s been around forever and a day , they just didn’t know what it was!

I’ll be in the surf in a few weeks and I will not be worried 1 bit about it Or the sharks!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                      Well I may have to stop posting on TBH because I'm skeer'd somebody might post back and hurt my feelings!
                      Lololol

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        Me too, but I still wade when we go to the Chandeleur Islands... Used to think that it was safe there from the bacteria, but I think it was 2 years ago when we were there in July, there had already been 2 cases of Vibrio at the southern end of the islands around Breton...

And one other pro tip... If you are afraid of sharks when wade fishing, you'd best just avoid the Chandeleur's altogether!! That's the most shark-infested place I've ever fished... Used to fish out of a sea plane and flying over other fishermen, it was unbelievable the number of BIG sharks they were in the water with and never knew it... I'm talkin' Jaws size sharks!
                        I’m ready ! It’s been on my bucket list since I was 18

Comment

Jim West and buddies hammered some big trout on topwaters at Crystal Beach last weekend. Always lays down when I'm out of town. I'm thinking about wading the dike this Saturday if the wind isn't too bad.

Comment

I was planning on fishing crystal beach this weekend until I read all this.

Comment

Originally posted by Roperyoung View Post
                              I was planning on fishing crystal beach this weekend until I read all this.
                              With the forecast winds it will be a mudhole.

Comment

I don't let any of that stop me from wade fishing for sure, but I DO take precautions... I have a very good friend that was fishing the boat cut in the North Jetty in Galveston. He wasn't even wading, but was fishing the Boliver pocket side and slipped on the wet rocks and scraped his ankle... Less than one week later he woke up in the hospital with his right leg missing from the knee down... Docs said if he'd waited another 24 hours, he likely wouldn't have made it... Yea the risk is low, but the later in the season it gets, the warmer the water gets and the risk goes up exponentially the warmer the water gets... I only know two folks who actually got this infection and neither one of them were wade fishing... The other guy was fishing out of his boat. He didn't ever get IN the water on the trip, but contracted it through a small wound on his leg that got wet from water splashing on him and messing with the fish he caught and dipped in his dip net... He did not lose his leg, but he came close. He was aware of the danger and went straight to the doctor when the wound became inflamed/infected the next day. Caught that one early but he's still got a very nasty scar on his leg...

Comment

Working...
                                X