X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selfish Christianity

Selfish Christianity
    John 6:22-27
    Which interests you more—who Jesus is or what He can do for you? I’m afraid that too many of us are more concerned about what He can give us than we are about getting to know who He is.
    But this is nothing new—Jesus had this problem when He walked on earth. The crowds often sought Him out for what He could do for them. Even though their needs were quite often legitimate, Christ knew their motives.
    There is a fine line between selfishly trying to use the Lord to get what we want and humbly coming to Him with our needs and struggles. Some of the issues we bring to Him are so pressing and urgent in our minds that our desire for Him to take action in the way we want becomes greater than our willingness to submit to His will. At times, what we call “faith” is really a demanding spirit.
    We must remember that our needs will come to an end, but Jesus Christ will remain forever. If our prayers have dealt only with presenting our requests to the Lord, we’ve missed a great opportunity to get to know the One with whom we’ll spend eternity. Let’s invest time in pursuing intimacy with Christ. Then we can enjoy the benefits of that relationship forever.
    How much of your communion with God is devoted to your needs—even legitimate ones? Are you spending any time getting to know the Lord? Although God delights in our prayers and tells us to pray about everything, He also wants us to come to Him just because we enjoy being with Him.
    Dr. Stanley

Great message Bro Bill

Comment

Thanks Bro. Bill

Comment

Great message.......can be confusing though, God tells us to come to Him with all our needs, no detail is too small, He wants to hear all our petitions . I also understand spending time with God just to say hello and how are you today, I assume balance is needed.....then again , God knows what’s in our hearts
        Thanks for sharing

Comment

Amen.

Comment

yes sir

Comment

Amen.

Working on getting to know the Lord, Jesus Christ should be a never ending quest while we walk this earth. I try but often stumble, as I allow some of my sinful ways to rear their ugly heads. It’s like I subconsciously stray away when my transgressions get the better of me.

Comment

AMEN.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                  Great message.......can be confusing though, God tells us to come to Him with all our needs, no detail is too small, He wants to hear all our petitions ..............................
                  Thanks for sharing
                  my 2cents with this that may help someone is this................Yes come to Him with all things. yes it can sound selfish and demanding. For many it really probably is. If we can humble our petitions and heart to request them knowing He is over all things and that if He has better ideas, then I am OK with it no matter what. Christ has the keys to the truck and I will ride along with Him.

Comment

A selfish believer is one that never shares the Gospel…imagine the greatest treasure ever…and not telling a soul about it.

Dr Stanley has been spot on the last few days.

Thanks Bro Bill

Comment

Great message...talking with God.

My parents both passed in 2009 and I remember going by their house every morning or at least calling them and I'll never forget that I missed one of those days and when I called the next day my mom answered and she told me "mijo, why haven't you called? We missed you" and I remember telling her "mom, it was just 1 day because I know I came by day before yesterday".
                      If my earthly parents missed me talking with them 1 day can you imagine what my Heavenly Father...my Creator... feels when we don't communicate with him for days at a time?

Thank you for the reminder Bro. Bill.

Comment

Amen sir

Comment

Pray the Lord’s Prayer and also talk to God. “Your will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven”

Comment

Thanks for sharing! AMEN!!!

Comment

Glad i could get on today and see this great reminder. We need to see about getting a Brother Bill tab on the pages you can look up. I only get on a bout once a week these days and wish i could get these words of wisdom daily or at least be able to catch up on them easily when i do get the chance. Thanks again sir

Comment

Working...
                              X