No announcement yet.

MesquiteCountry's Recipe thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

man, that's a ton of good recipes right there.. can't wait to try some!!!

Travis , got any recipe for crappie .. prefferably not fried ? (i'm reluctantly getting on a diet!)

maybe blackened or baked ? ( opened another thread before I saw this one... didn't realize you had these mad skills!!! ... thanks in advance!)

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
      man, that's a ton of good recipes right there.. can't wait to try some!!!

Travis , got any recipe for crappie .. prefferably not fried ? (i'm reluctantly getting on a diet!)

maybe blackened or baked ? ( opened another thread before I saw this one... didn't realize you had these mad skills!!! ... thanks in advance!)
      Crappie is a very delicate sweet fish. You want to lightly season it and don't over cook it. I have a ton of them in the tank at my house. My grandmother would simply scale them, knock the heads and fins off and lightly season them with salt pepper and garlic. Roast them in the oven pretty dry around 375 with convection until they are flakey. The skin has a decent amount of oil to keep them moist. When you pull them, just brush with melted butter, and squeeze a lemon over. Pure heaven! Haven't made that in years. Watch out for bones!

Comment

cool! mine are already pure fillets...my buddy and I caught 28 one night and 12 the other .. we fished all night and we were dead tired... so he cleaned them and brought them back to me in a 4 big zip lock bags frozen ... I was hoping to bake them and add some kind of sauce .. maybe a creamy crawfish sauce ????? serve over rice with some veggie of sort ..

I found tons of recipe on the net but most seem to fry them .. although i've eaten them that way and they are really good that way, I've got to stay off fried foods .. or mama will kick my butt!

Comment

Just lightly pan fry them unbattered in olive oil. Season lightly though. A cream sauce will do well and so well a light white wine and tomato sauce with some green olives. Use a sweet wine like a Riesling or a Pinot grigio. Use a cup of wine and a cup of 1/2 cup of tomato sauce, spoon this over your cooked fish. Season the sauce with a little basil, and salt and pepper.

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
            Just lightly pan fry them unbattered in olive oil. Season lightly though. A cream sauce will do well and so well a light white wine and tomato sauce with some green olives. Use a sweet wine like a Riesling or a Pinot grigio. Use a cup of wine and a cup of 1/2 cup of tomato sauce, spoon this over your cooked fish. Season the sauce with a little basil, and salt and pepper.
            that's the ticket.. i'll try that recipe .. sounds good!! thanks Travis!

Comment

I was real vague on those directions. Here's what I meant. Pan fry the fish lightly with just some sea salt and pepper, maybe a touch or cracked coriander also. No harsh herbs on the fish.

Simmer the sauce I described. Season with a bit of onion powder, salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon, an oregano sprig if you feel up to it as well. Make the sauce a little briny or slightly salty. Trust me, with the sweet flakiness of the fish it will be spot on. Reduce it for a couple minutes to combine the Flavors in a sauce pan. Roll up some fresh basil and slice it in rings. Place that on top of the lightly seasoned fish. Then pour the hot sauce over the fresh basil and fish. Serve with steamed broccoli florets tossed in a little melted butter, with garlic, pepper, and a little salt. You are talking mucho flavor in a 500-700 calorie meal.

Comment

thanks Travis had it tonight... went with asparagus instead of broccoli and some rice ..the sauce on the fish was awesome... and healthy!!

Comment

Nice add on the capers!

Comment

Thanks for sharing! Not sure which recipe I want to try first!

Comment

Tried the sweet cream corn...dang good thanks for sharing Mesquite Country!

Comment

Thanks for the time and killer sounding meals!! I'm wanting to process my own meat this year and remember seeing your killer spreadsheet thread. Looking for them again. Your da man!! Aloha

Comment

thanks for the recipe thread. do you have a good biscuit recipe that is deer lease easy? thx

Comment

following

Comment

Tag

Comment

Could this possibly get sticky'ed??

Comment

Working...
                                X