Matador for GDE Nov. 12-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matador for GDE Nov. 12-16

Just wanted to start a thread to keep making updates to about the hunt, and offer a spot for anyone to make observations or recommendations. Not really a lot of info or posts on this particular hunt. Many more about the mule deer hunt a month later.

I lucked out and drew for the second whitetail hunt at Matador this year, and added two hunting partners along on the app. Should be a fun time for us, and I'm hoping the week later date will off-set the disturbance of the previous weeks hunt. I know it is too early for the rut, but maybe some pre-rut roaming around will help keep the bucks visible. A great hunting experience for my one partner, who has never been to this part of Texas. A few nice bucks would be a definite plus too.

Looked at all the permit and map info, and think we have a understanding of what we will be in for. How bad are the snakes, if it stays hot. None of us wear chaps or boots, with all the hunting we do in the desert here, but we can generally see our feet at all times in the rocks and sagebrush. Not so sure about waist high grass in Matador!!!

Have hunted Caprock Canyon before for mule deer, and we stayed in Childress. That will be the plan again for this trip, and still keep us about 30 minutes from the WMA. Any spots people could recommend for good food???

First Thing I recommend are good boots with full leather uppers otherwise you will spend all your time digging cactus thorns out of your boots

It’s rough country and you need to find a vantage point and figure out the lay of the land. I would spend the first evening and first morning doing nothing but glassing. If you try to rush in and hunt you will likely be chasing your tail. If you are patient you will apt the deer and quickly have an idea on their travel corridors and patterns and more importantly you can really get a good idea of the terrain. I saw some really big Whitetails on my mule deer hunt a few years ago, like 160-180 class deer.
    Best advice is be patient and don’t rush in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just updating my post for the upcoming hunt Nov. 12-16th. We are in the middle of hunting season here now, so all the gear is getting plenty of use. We have talked with the ladies in the office, and I will be bringing my toy hauler trailer down instead of driving back and forth to Childress. Leaving the UTV out will give the 3 of us a lot of room to stay in the RV, in case of bad weather. The trade off in extra fuel use is the savings for a week of motel rooms and eating out each night.

Have gotten a couple contacts from TBH members and appreciate the feedback. There will be the three of us, so hoping we can be successful on some good bucks. Got one of the good maps ordered and will try to commit all the best places to memory!

Still trying to decide on the issue of snake boots or chaps, or not any at all, but will probably go with good sturdy hiking boots and chaps. Hoping for cooler weather so we don't even have to worry about it.

Has anyone got a good weather report from that area, since all of the rains came down in the Hill Country??? Hoping for dry weather and not too difficult driving.

Comment

I'm actually on the archery mule deer hunt right now. My hunt at Richland Creek WMA got cancelled due to flooding so I came up here to try for standby and got picked.
        I've seen several mule deer so far but no shooters.
        Regarding the weather and roads, it's not bad right now. A few rough spots but a standard 4 wheel drive pickup will do fine. There is some weather rolling in this week so that could change.
        Snake books aren't a bad idea, if for nothing more than the thorns.
        As far as using a UTV, they aren't allowed on the WMA unless you are disabled.
        Last edited by Palehorse; 10-22-2018, 09:01 PM.

Comment

PH: You're having a heck of a year so far. First a nice pronghorn, and now a standby at Matador. Hope you find a big mule deer to arrow. Did you get anywhere close to the compartment you were hoping for???

Appreciate the feedback. Yes, I knew about the No ATV/UTV rule, and that's why I would leave that at home. Can't use it up in Kansas on Public Land either. Without it, makes the empty toy hauler huge! Lots of space for the three of us.

Good luck, we will be looking for a report on a trophy buck soon.

Comment

Well, the road situation degraded into a muddy mess today. A 4x4 is a necessity on a day like today. Hopefully, the roads will drain off fairly quick.

Comment

What pasture are you guys in?
              I hunted east aermotor on my mule deer hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We were in Sisk Pen but we moved to the North Middle.

Comment

Well, no mule deer were killed on this hunt by myself or anyone else. I never found one that meets the new antler restrictions. Still had a great time though. No whitetail bucks were killed on the last archery whitetail hunt either.
                  Good luck Stub, I hope you get a big one!

Comment

I'm headed up there for the GMD hunt in December. I have been reading all the old threads about the Matador, but I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Comment

Originally posted by WS_AG View Post
                      I'm headed up there for the GMD hunt in December. I have been reading all the old threads about the Matador, but I would appreciate any help you can give me.
                      Congratulations!
                      The western pastures definitely hold the most mule deer. Get you a good pair of binoculars, a good pair of hiking boots, and be prepared to walk the soles of of them. Find high points to glass and hunt all day.
                      The new mule deer antler restrictions are tough. They have to be outside the ears and on a mule deer, that's a wide spread. They aren't playing around either. If you shoot an illegal buck, you will have it taken from you and you will likely be given a financial encentive to not do that again. If you aren't 100% sure, don't shoot.

Good luck!

Comment

Glad you had a great time, and appreciate the updates. We are looking forward to the trip down in a couple weeks.

The antler restrictions had me worried also, because there are a lot of 5 and 6 year old bucks that will never be outside their ears in width. They better be considering the width when they are alert and upright also, as laid out flat some WT's will be 20-21" wide. Guess we will see what we see and accept that.

Comment

Rolled into Childress and stopped at Walmart for licenses. The lady couldn’t believe we bought 3 NR licenses for $315 each. Well, we got here safe and sound on Sunday afternoon and set up trailer. Once done we drove around a bunch and looked over surrounding fields and crop land. Saw a total of about 150 mule deer and a couple small WT bucks. Saw 4 big hogs out in the middle of the day. Now we are ready for tomorrow’s activities at the headquarters.

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

Good luck compadre. Hope you nail a biggin!

Comment

Working...
                              X