Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    That’s $11.50 more a sac[emoji15]. Glad it’s only once a year[emoji23]
    Twice bubba. You need to do it now and agian in the fall.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
      Twice bubba. You need to do it now and agian in the fall.

Awesome!![emoji23]

Comment

Who Feeds Medicated Protein?

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
        We picked up some to feed one round of it this time. $20 a bag in San Angelo at Palmers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Safeguard Dewormer pellets (green and yellow 10 pound bag found at TSC) treats 50 head (generously figuring 200 pounds each body weight) of deer with each 10 pound package for around $50-$60 depending on where you get it. They only have to eat it one day to be treated and same active ingredient as in the pic above but at far greater potency. (16x greater)
        I spent just over $100 and mixed in 2 bags (20 pounds) with a ton of feed and figured it will do just fine. A lot cheaper than the above $800/ton and should be just as effective.

The Fenbendazole in SafeGuard pellets is 16X more concentrated than in the feed above, so only 3 ounces of pellets needed to treat each deer...and they only have to eat that once to be treated.

I concentrated it within a few bags of feed at the bottom of the hopper so they are guaranteed to get it within approximately's a week's time.....

Maybe BS science in my head, but to me a greater success rate at a far cheaper price and the deer dont have to get used to a different feed for a whole ton.

Last edited by TXBRASS; 03-05-2019, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Who Feeds Medicated Protein?

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
          Safeguard Dewormer pellets (green and yellow 10 pound bag found at TSC) treats 50 head (generously figuring 200 pounds each body weight) of deer with each 10 pound package for around $50-$60 depending on where you get it. They only have to eat it one day to be treated and same active ingredient as in the pic above but at far greater potency. (16x greater)
          I spent just over $100 and mixed in 2 bags (20 pounds) with a ton of feed and figured it will do just fine. A lot cheaper than the above $800/ton and should be just as effective.

The Fenbendazole in SafeGuard pellets is 16X more concentrated than in the feed above, so only 3 ounces of pellets needed to treat each deer...and they only have to eat that once to be treated.

I concentrated it within a few bags of feed at the bottom of the hopper so they are guaranteed to get it within approximately's a week's time.....

Maybe BS science in my head, but to me a greater success rate at a far cheaper price and the deer dont have to get used to a different feed for a whole ton.

Good post except the way I read it, the feed at Angelos Palmers is the same exact feed most folks feed with the medicine added so the deer changing feeds doesn’t seem like an issue. The Eco ration
          Last edited by Smart; 03-05-2019, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Good post except the way I read it, the feed at Angelos Palmers is the same exact feed most folks feed with the medicine added so the deer changing feeds doesn’t seem like an issue.
            If that's the case, then cost would be the only downside.

Years ago I raised European boars for sale to game ranches. Had some feed companies try to convince me on the medicated feed by the ton. My local vet told me not to waste my money and to go with Safeguard twice a year. He said it's cheap and does the trick and impossible to overdose. I did and weight gain skyrocketed almost immediately. Made me a believer in SafeGuard for my application then. Hopefully it will benefit the deer at my feeder in similar ways. Guess we shall see.

Comment

I’m not against it. I’m just starting in this deal so I’m interested in the cheapest way to get it done.

Comment

I’m not against it. I’m just starting in this deal so I’m interested in the cheapest way to get it done.

Kinda my goal as well.

I wonder how much antler growth can/will be effected from one year to the next from a buck that had worms to the next year after he’s been wormed.

Comment

How did you mix it, if you don't mind sharing?

Comment

Originally posted by Ground Checkin' Heavies View Post
                    How did you mix it, if you don't mind sharing?

The bottom of my 2,000 lb feeder has a hopper that holds a little over 100 pounds of feed. Just mixed 10 pounds in there and another 10 pounds above it a few sacks. Not very scientific, but I have enough to treat 100 deer and I don’t have near that hitting this feeder, so they should all get a good dose.

Comment

Very interesting, thank you for sharing bubba..

Comment

The bottom of my 2,000 lb feeder has a hopper that holds a little over 100 pounds of feed. Just mixed 10 pounds in there and another 10 pounds above it a few sacks. Not very scientific, but I have enough to treat 100 deer and I don’t have near that hitting this feeder, so they should all get a good dose.

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing. I have a 2k lb feeder too, I was thinking of mixing it this was as well. This works better for me too, so I don't have to change feed brands.

Comment

There is a BIG difference in "Medicated" and "DeWormer" feed they are NOT the same.

Medicated contains CTC and is illegal unless a veterinarian gives a prescription.
                          Dewormer is a commonly used to feed all deer and is NOT illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by FCTrapper View Post
                            There is a BIG difference in "Medicated" and "DeWormer" feed they are NOT the same.

Medicated contains CTC and is illegal unless a veterinarian gives a prescription.
                            Dewormer is a commonly used to feed all deer and is NOT illegal.

The feed shown above shows “medicated” on the label and has the exact same active ingredient as the SafeGuard “wormer” but the SG is way more concentrated. No other medication listed on the “medicated” feed tag that is pictured above. Are you talking about some other feed when u say “medicated”???

Comment

Ours has both. No prescription required to me a dewormer is a type of medicated feed, as even our biologist calls it " medicated ".

Comment

Moving to timed protein this year. Wonder how well this would distribute using that versus free choice. I like teh concept and maybe it would keep us from losing some deer for a few extra bucks.

I guess its still not available in the Angelo area?...
                                We put two bags in the bottom of each timed and bulk protein feeder before we refilled with protein/peas. Should all go out about the same time.

Comment

Working...
                                X