No announcement yet.

Successful Food Plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like elbon rye, wheat and oats in our Leon county sandy land. Planted later in October.
    Not sure what kind, but clover was added this year and it really grew well.
    Haven’t watched deer graze it.

But cages show amazing amount eaten of all plants.
    Rain this year was amazing. Also limed and fertilized.
    Spread one bag of fertilizer last week in a small area to watch the difference.
    Last edited by Big pig; 01-01-2019, 10:14 PM.

Comment

North AR. Two places in close proximity to the MO line.

Spring: some beans, but mostly just fertilizing old fields/disc/burn

Fall: Turnips, wheat, clover mixes.

Annual: overseed fields every couple years with lezpedeza and clover to encourage continued production of both.

Our plots always get quite a bit of use, but some years (like this one) they really get hit hard. Weak acorn crop puts the pressure on them. They’ve seemed to prefer turnips more than anything else, but it’s also easier to notice the browsing on them. Wheat and clover fills the gaps once they get the turnips cleaned up.

Seeding & fertlizing old fields is also very beneficial from a tonnage standpoint, and is quick/cheap. There aren’t many spots on us where a buck can’t find something to eat.
      Attached Files

Comment

Been a few years but best we ever found in Piney woods was; winter wheat/elbon Rye/Arrow leaf clover

Comment

Originally posted by Houston4x4 View Post
          I can tell you that in Leon county where I am I had the most amazing turnip crop ever most bigger than my hand and they didn’t touch them. It was sad to till all those amazing turnips back into the ground in spring
          Those turnips were probably the best fertilizer you could have used.

Comment

Thanks fellas, keep it coming. Food plots is new to me and something I really want to get into going forward.

Comment

What about you hill country guys? We are in Gillespie county and I want to put in spring plots.

Comment

BobOats, Winter Wheat or Rye Grain

Comment

They eat the top of the turnips after the first freeze. It causes them to sweeten. They didn't eat my turnips either just the greens off the top.

Comment

I'm a fan of daikon radishes in a food plot. Of all the things I've planted thru the years I have never seen deer take to anything faster. They are great for the soil, great for deer and fit into a multi specie cover crop rotation very nicely. This grown no till, no fertilizer drilled into a soy bean field terminated with a roller crimper.The mix for fall was wheat, red clover and radishes.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                      I'm a fan of daikon radishes in a food plot. Of all the things I've planted thru the years I have never seen deer take to anything faster. They are great for the soil, great for deer and fit into a multi specie cover crop rotation very nicely. This grown no till, no fertilizer drilled into a soy bean field terminated with a roller crimper.The mix for fall was wheat, red clover and radishes.

Now that is a radish! I thought mine were doing ok trying for the 1st time this fall, but that’s impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is a video demonstrating how we can record, edit, and share nutrition records. Food plots, feeders, and mineral sites can all be recorded and easily accessed from your phone, computer, or tablet.

You do not have to be tech savvy, having the ability to navigate around on this website is all the skill you will need to use https://thehuntersight.com.

Comment

The cattle grazer on my lease in Jack County planted 15 acres of wheat. I don’t think he fertilized snd he turned the cows in to early but I didn’t see many deer on it.

Occasionally a small 6 or 8 would stop by for a few mins. Usually had 2-3 doe on it in the evening times. I saw more hogs on it than anything. Definitely didn’t see a shooter on it during day light.

I set my feeder up 100 yards in the woods from the field with my tripod on the edge of the field overlooking both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What types of food plots work for central Texas around Coleman county. We are wanting to try and plant some this year but have never messed with them before.

Comment

When I ran cows on my place I always planted 40 acres of rye grass and crimson clover.. I'm about a mile from the sabine river in newton county and my place is pretty much sugar sand. Winter is the only time I have enough moisture to grow food plots.. I've sold the cows so I haven't planted in a couple years.. I just bought 50 lbs of clover to throw out this weekend.. I've tried just about everything and the rye grass clover works best for me. About may I plan to plant a few acres of pearl millet. I've planted it in the past and they hit it pretty hard until it gets tall . I usually mow it when it gets about 2 ft tall..
                              Last edited by jds247; 01-10-2019, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                                When I ran cows on my place I always planted 40 acres of rye grass and crimson clover.. I'm about a mile from the sabine river in newton county and my place is pretty much sugar sand. Winter is the only time I have enough moisture to grow food plots.. I've sold the cows so I haven't planted in a couple years.. I just bought 50 lbs of clover to throw out this weekend.. I've tried just about everything and the rye grass clover works best for me. About may I plan to plant a few acres of pearl millet. I've planted it in the past and they hit it pretty hard until it gets tall . I usually mow it when it gets about 2 ft tall..
                                Might try sunflower. Cheap enough and they will mix in with pearl head well

Comment

Working...
                                X