Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If it's diseases from domestic sheep and goats that are keeping bighorn numbers down,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it's diseases from domestic sheep and goats that are keeping bighorn numbers down,

why does the U.S. government allow grazing on public lands where they can mingle? It really makes no sense. Bighorns generally live on grazing land that is marginal at best, and I can't imagine the government makes just a ton of money off of it.

There an article showing that? I wouldn't doubt it for a second, makes sense.

That said I believe Texas accounts for nearly 50% of all domestic sheep farming in the US. So in theory i totally agree but that doesnt really account for other areas of the country. Unless sheep farmers are generally taking land that bighorn reside on.

Comment

Our S Texas biologist blamed it on stinking Aoudads.....

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
        Our S Texas biologist blamed it on stinking Aoudads.....
        That I would believe. Doesnt NM have an otc tag for barbary (aoudad) there? Seems more like invasives plus terrain change and such would affect them more.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
          There an article showing that? I wouldn't doubt it for a second, makes sense.

That said I believe Texas accounts for nearly 50% of all domestic sheep farming in the US. So in theory i totally agree but that doesnt really account for other areas of the country. Unless sheep farmers are generally taking land that bighorn reside on.
          Wild bighorn sheep once were found throughout the West. Roaming high alpine ridges of the Rockies to the badlands of the Dakotas to the deserts of Arizona and California, bighorns were adapted to a…

Comment

No one in the know denies it but I'm sure there's plenty of conspiracy theorists out there who will tell you there's no such thing and it's a librul plan to outlaw meat production...

Meateater podcast had a really good episode with the Wild Sheep Foundation guys on this topic and they are working for ways that benefit both wild sheep and ranchers.

Grazing brings benefits to public lands and to the American people so it's not so easy as to just outlaw grazing.

Comment

BLM and NF grazing allotments are revenue generating. If you want to put a rancher out of business in a state primary owned by federal government knock your self out. Are you ready to also pee on private property rights in Texas and outlaw sheep grazing on private land?

Some of the grazing allotments have been in same family for 80 plus years. You are talking millions of acres. Also when you shut them down you shut the water down.

NM has both OTC and draw Aoudad tags.

It’s more complicated then just putting sheep back on the mountain.

Every state has it’s own unique wild sheep issues, AZ for instance has Lion predation issues as they try to establish sheep in new areas. Recreational conservation has consequences very few actually consider and address
              Last edited by Texans42; 09-12-2019, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                No one in the know denies it but I'm sure there's plenty of conspiracy theorists out there who will tell you there's no such thing and it's a librul plan to outlaw meat production...

Meateater podcast had a really good episode with the Wild Sheep Foundation guys on this topic and they are working for ways that benefit both wild sheep and ranchers.

Grazing brings benefits to public lands and to the American people so it's not so easy as to just outlaw grazing.
                Yep, that was a good listen!

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                  That I would believe. Doesnt NM have an otc tag for barbary (aoudad) there? Seems more like invasives plus terrain change and such would affect them more.
                  A tag for an exotic?? Hmm.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                    Yea Ibex, Oryx and Aoudad.

Maryland has one for Sika also

Comment

They are managed as game animals in NM

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                        Yea Ibex, Oryx and Aoudad.

Maryland has one for Sika also
                        California has them for wild hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                          California has them for wild hogs.
                          Forgot about that, In their defense then need all wildlife budget they can get just to keep up with bear and lion issues

California won’t have hunting in another 5 years though. Just banned trapping.
                          Last edited by Texans42; 09-12-2019, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                            Forgot about that, California won’t have hunting in another 5 years though. Just banned trapping

Which is a shame.
                            Some crazy good quail and chukar hunting out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

$373 for a NR audad
                              $1623 for NR Ibex, but no reason to worry about that it is nearly impossible to draw

Comment

Working...
                              X