308 or 6.5 cr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

308 or 6.5 cr

Wanting to get into some long range target shooting. Not serious, just fun shoots. I'm very familiar with the 308. Never shot the 6.5. I know it's all the rage now, but is it really that superior to the old 308. For the record I am buying the Ruger American and probably Vortex optics. Handload eventually. Ranges probably won't be past 800 yds. What's the long range crowd think? I do know some inexpensive factory loads are good for 308. While the 6.5 is pricey for factory.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

as long as you like slow and boring....it's about 6 of one and a 1/2 dozen of the other. Both will be equally competent at what you are wanting to do

Comment

I really like a good 308. Shot many different guns in this caliber. I'm open minded to a 6.5. but never shot one. I'm betting it'd be more accurate with factory loads. I could lean either way at this point. I don't see either caliber going away soon

Comment

Just to be clear....before I get bashed, I was not trying to be a smart ***......I am just a speed freak and do not care much for the calibers that I consider slow and boring and I am not bashing either. They both are good cartridges and there is a reason that the .308 has been around as long as it has....

just wanted to clarify

Comment

I have both and like both. If I was going to build/buy a bench/fun gun for up to 800, I would easily choose the 6.5. If you bought the RPR for s little more you could have a bartlein barrel installed. Just sayin...

Comment

Take a peek of top list

wont let me copy to sorry
            Last edited by cva34; 09-10-2019, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by K. Lane View Post
              Just to be clear....before I get bashed, I was not trying to be a smart ***......I am just a speed freak and do not care much for the calibers that I consider slow and boring and I am not bashing either. They both are good cartridges and there is a reason that the .308 has been around as long as it has....

just wanted to clarify
              No offense taken.

Comment

6.5 over the .308. Run heavy for caliber bullets with better BC. Just all around better for that application.

That said .308 will do it fine at that range but the 6.5 will do it better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

6.5 will do it easily and the 308 will to. It will be easy to find less recoil and more match ammo for the 6.5 over the 308. Also less drop and less wind drift so learning long range would be easier.

Comment

There is some decent feedback here, however, let's talk about the logistics here.

What scope is going to be on this rifle?

Let's just for grins say you are going to put a Nikon or a Vortex on the .308 Win. and the goal is to reach 1K or 800 even. The total amount of travel within the scope is going to run out of gas before you reach the mark due to the rainbow path required for a .308 to reach that distance. You would need to purchase in addition to the scope, a picatinny base with cant built-in so that that negative amount of travel not used in the scope can be used downrange. Sure the .308 has been around for a long time and it served a role meanwhile, although the ballistic co-efficient or lack thereof has antiquated the round. Don't get me wrong, it's a great battle cartridge and anything inside of 500 yards will have a tragic demise. However, beyond that...you are lobbing out prayers of hope to paint the target because the round becomes transonic.

Where the 6.5 performs on a different level and is more capable of achieving those distances and beyond is a result of improved BCE and velocity.

Human nature dictates a form of evolution, meaning when you have hit one goal or shooting consistently at one distance you will set the bar higher in effort to grow. Like with archery. I'm certain that many shot 20 yards until they improved accuracy and confidence was built and then you began shooting further and further. Now, with many bows...while it may be unethical for some to shoot 100 yards, many bows and hunters are confident in shooting as such as a result of due diligence and practice.

My recommendation would in fact be the Creedmoor. Because I have tested it and enjoy shooting long-range effectively with light recoil.

Hope this helps in your decision making.

Comment

Imo shooting both the .308 and a .260 which is basically a creed... you can’t go wrong either way, but there is definitely a ballistics advantage with the 6.5.

To achieve similar BCs you will need 168gr or heavy bullets in the 308 unless you shoot bergers you might get away with a Palma bullet(155gr). The 6.5 you will shoot 140gr more than likely.

The 308 will definitely have more recoil, drop, and wind drift... it’s noticeable greatly at 600 plus yards but I shoot mine easily to 750-800 using 178gr handloads. My 260 I shoot 140gr bullets and at 2700fps have easily had multiple hits at 1k.

They are both very versatile. Both great hunting cartridges. If your not handloading the creed might be the better choice.

Just add a 20moa base and they won’t be any worry about hitting 1k with the .308. You will probably be around 34-40moa of drop on the 308 at 1k vs 30-36moa with the creed.

Also the .308 hits and misses are much easier to spot IMO.
                      Last edited by BLACKFINTURKEY; 09-10-2019, 10:12 AM.

Comment

All the cool kids are shooting the 6.5 Needmore.

Comment

People that talk bad about the 6.5 are the same people that think the 308 Winchester is the end all to cartridges lol.

Comment

6.5 saum!

Comment

I no longer have a CM... I wish I could change my name on here... lol

Comment

Working...
                              X