Drainage Basin Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drainage Basin Installation

The North Fabius River flows through our farm. We have 60 to 70 foot elevation changes from the ridge tops to the river bed. Several drainages on our farm get very deep....15 to 20 feet deep as the get near the river. We had one in particular that was eating it's way across a 40 acre pasture.

My neighbors two sons have bought a John Deere 850 dozer and a Doosan track excavator that they use on their farm. They took a look at the drainage that was cutting thru our place and said "We can fix that".

I made two trips to Birmingham, Iowa get 40' of 36" HDPE pipe. One section has an six foot 80 degree section welded on it. I also got a 20 ft stick of 18" HDPE to replace a rusted out culvert on another small drainage.

The neighbor boys did their farm chores this morning and got to our place about 10:00 am. By 5:30 this evening they were about 90% done....just in time to do their evening farm chores. We have a couple of hours work tomorrow to get finished with the project. I shot grades and helped set the pipe, but they did all the excavation and grading work.

I got some outstanding neighbors and they are some hard working boys !!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arrowsmith; 09-21-2020, 07:42 PM.

Sure hope you put a cover on that hole. I don't want to fall in it when I'm there! And now it is all starting to make sense how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
      Sure hope you put a cover on that hole. I don't want to fall in it when I'm there! And now it is all starting to make sense how it works.
      Zombie trap !!!

Comment

You really do need some kind of a brush trap on that pipe if there’s any chance that limbs and such will float to it, and where water runs there’s usually a chance. One chunk could hang up at the 90* angle and stop it up. Otherwise, good on your neighbors for helping you out !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          You really do need some kind of a brush trap on that pipe if there’s any chance that limbs and such will float to it, and where water runs there’s usually a chance. One chunk could hang up at the 90* angle and stop it up. Otherwise, good on your neighbors for helping you out !
          The boys said if a fawn or coyote falls in there they can crawl out the other end.[emoji38]

But...yes...you are correct.

That drainage is only a trickle about 70% percent of the year, but I have seen it a dangerous raging torrent after a big rain or heavy snowmelt.

I have a couple of these Agri Drains installed on some smaller drainage pipes. I will probably get a 36" for this drop pipe.

Comment

One like this but a 36".

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
              One like this but a 36".

That will work ! It will be one more thing you have to keep your eye on, but you can do that between big bucks ! Good luck on your season this year.

Comment

That will work ! It will be one more thing you have to keep your eye on, but you can do that between big bucks ! Good luck on your season this year.
                Thanks!! We are trying to get this erosion control work done so the woods can calm down before the season opens.

We did a little more work today. We had a smaller drainage that had cut almost back to my neighbors fence. I had about 10' of ground left to get between the fence corner post and the ditch. We had to push some dirt into to get the dozer and track hoe back to where we were working yesterday.

This morning I went to town and bought two concrete wash out blocks at the ready mix batch plant. The blocks are 2400 lbs each. We set the blocks in the drainage. I lined the inside with 6 mil poly and we backfilled. I am going to lay down some driveway fabric and finish it off with some 2-3 inch crushed stone to create a spillway. There is a before and after picture. I have about 17' now between the fence and the spillway.

This corner is a great pinch point. I will have a stand in the black walnut that I am standing beside on the last picture.

Comment

I bet I still trip on that drain thingy. But it will be worth it!

Comment

I don’t claim to know what type of quality work I’m seeing in terms of erosion control. All I do know is you never ever half-a** any of the projects I see you doing up there. 👍 I bet it’s done right that’s for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                      I bet I still trip on that drain thingy. But it will be worth it!
                      If you fall in the drop pipe it is big enough that you can crawl out the other end.[emoji106][emoji38]

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                        I don’t claim to know what type of quality work I’m seeing in terms of erosion control. All I do know is you never ever half-a** any of the projects I see you doing up there. [emoji106] I bet it’s done right that’s for sure.
                        Thanks. Old construction superintendent OCD kicking in.

Comment

Here is a short video I made of the work we did this week.

I decided to make a food plot in the excavated area. Friday I graded and harrowed the area. I shot some more grades on the upper end and cut down a couple of high spots. The first 50-60 feet does not have much slope and I wanted to make sure it drains good.

Friday I broadcast 150 lbs of organic cereal rye. This morning I broadcast 100 lbs of fertilizer. It is now raining.

This time the timing was perfect.

Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. I am going to document my deer season here in Iowa on my channel.

Comment

I bet that turns out nice

Comment

Life looks good in Iowa! Jealous of your property you’ve got up there, having four seasons is nice!

Liked and subscribed.

Comment

Working...
                              X