dead trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by waterdog View Post
    give them more time. i have 2 that look dead till this week they are staring to get new buds now.
    These

Our Japanese Blueberries looked dead since the freeze but sprouted new buds this week. Ill have to cut them back, but they look like they survived the freeze.

Comment

Cut the ashes down and kill all the sprouts. In the nursery and landscaping industry we called them Trash trees. Kill them ASAP.. I have a strong disliking for ash trees...due to many many fallen scaffolds on rental house roofs due to poor crotch angles and bark inclusions. I am happy to cut down any ash given any excuse.

Plant Mexican sycamore, montery oak or shumards...as mentioned. Very very tolerant species.
      Last edited by Briar Friar; 05-06-2021, 03:53 PM. Reason: BarkInclusionSpake

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
        Cut the ashes down and kill all the sprouts. In the nursery and landscaping industry we called them Trash trees. Kill them ASAP.. I have a strong disliking for ash trees...due to many many fallen scaffolds on rental house roofs due to poor crotch angles and bark inclusions. I am happy to cut down any ash given any excuse.

Plant Mexican sycamore, montery oak or shumards...as mentioned. Very very tolerant species.
        I too hate all ash and elm trees. I too am a fan of shumard oaks. Fast and longevity rarely go together when talking about trees.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
          Checked on my Ash trees yesterday. There are losts of new limbs growing off the trunk. A little new growth beginning to come out in some higher branches near the trunk. Still nothing on the the outer branches. The farther from the trunk the less new growth. At least they are not dead yet. Hopefully they will come back.
          I have one in the front yard from my dad's tree where I grew up at. Centimental. Same as yours. I have been cutting the sprouts off the trunck so most the nutrients gets to the sprouts at the top. Don't need anything robbing nutrients at the bottom. I won't trim dead stuff until I see what develops later on. Nature has a way of surviving. Just have to help it along a little.

Comment

Elm trees are ugly unless you do a lot of pruning.

Ash trees, especially Texas Ash, are fast growing but invasive. That shouldnt be a problem for your circumstances. They arent very pretty trees any time of year, but they grow exponentially fast.

If you want one or a thousand I can supply them if you want to dig them out. We hate them due to their fast growth and regrowth rate after cutting if not sprayed

Comment

I have some red oak, water oak, that has suffered from the freeze. Some upper limbs show signs of stress, going to leave alone until next fall. We did loose 22 mature Texas Sage bushes that were about 16 years old. Gonna miss the blooms and bees.

Comment

Originally posted by Oleman View Post
                I have some red oak, water oak, that has suffered from the freeze. Some upper limbs show signs of stress, going to leave alone until next fall. We did loose 22 mature Texas Sage bushes that were about 16 years old. Gonna miss the blooms and bees.
                Ive got a sage bush by the back porch that is about half dead. Need to cut it back and hope the rest survive

Comment

Just pulled up my citrus, olive and fig trees, they were no doubt dead. Have 2 tallows I need to cut down also, been wanting to cut them for years but my wife wouldn’t let me, thank goodness they’re dead.

Comment

Working...
                  X