No announcement yet.

Rocksprings Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It sounds like a lot of high fence places from what I’ve seen on several groups on Facebook are the ones that got hit. One guy had talked about how he was in the same area but had many many natural shelters and windbreaks for the animals when he set his up and didn’t loose any animals. Seems like high fence ranches need to think about those things, since they cut off animals being able to get to natural cover if they don’t have good windbreaks on their place.

Comment

Seems like I was off topic. Look around Telegraph. There was a good variety and many numbers on a place we used to hunt. Out of Menard towards ft mckavett also has plenty. Axis all over if that’s what your looking for.

Comment

Telegraph

I got 300 acres in telegraph, we had large numbers of axis up until abt 3 yrs ago neighbors started trapping and selling them.... trap close to me got pulled out last year was just starting to see a few axis this fall, about to go next week see if the freeze got anything besides my pipes. Wondering if the large axis loss i keep hearing about is gonna have them trapping selling again to replenish high fence folks

Comment

We are 20 miles North as the crow flies. Tons of axis and none were lost in the freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by ldoyle View Post
            It`s my understanding that this last snow/ice frigid weather had a drastic affect on the axis and blackbuck populations . I`ve heard 30%-40% on large ranches to 90% of small ranches . It`s going to take a while to recoup those kinds of losses .
            I lost 20% on my 100 acres but I also have a resident herd of about 50-60. Lost 1 blackbuck.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
              What do you consider a larger each?

There’s a bunch of smaller ones in the 50-200 acres all around there. Seems like the last 10-15 years buying a 4000 acre place and splitting it into 40 100 acre places is the popular thing to do.
              Yep spoke to many realtors. They are all doing this around the area. Mostly West of rocksprings

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                What do you consider a larger each?

There’s a bunch of smaller ones in the 50-200 acres all around there. Seems like the last 10-15 years buying a 4000 acre place and splitting it into 40 100 acre places is the popular thing to do.
                The land owner on my previous lease has done this with two of the properties on his land.

Comment

Originally posted by saltwater View Post
                  It sounds like a lot of high fence places from what I’ve seen on several groups on Facebook are the ones that got hit. One guy had talked about how he was in the same area but had many many natural shelters and windbreaks for the animals when he set his up and didn’t loose any animals. Seems like high fence ranches need to think about those things, since they cut off animals being able to get to natural cover if they don’t have good windbreaks on their place.
                  Here is what I heard, not sure if it is true. Some say the ones that got hit the hardest were the ranches that spent a bunch of time removing a bunch of cedars and underbrush on their land and just left the oak trees. These happen to be the the places with a high fence as I would assume the folks that can afford a high fence can also afford more clearing of their land. I think this sounds the most plausible since the animals would have no way to get out of cold with no dense area's or under brush.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                    Keep in mind that areas west of Rocksprings got hit hard by anthrax last year.
                    I will agree with this but it seemed to be very spotty based on what I read. However the area's that got hit is absolutely unbelievable which makes it very scary. There are stories that I have read where people say as soon as they get to their gate all they smell is death and the sky looks like a sea of black from all the vultures.

Comment

Originally posted by Lafuria View Post
                      I got 300 acres in telegraph, we had large numbers of axis up until abt 3 yrs ago neighbors started trapping and selling them.... trap close to me got pulled out last year was just starting to see a few axis this fall, about to go next week see if the freeze got anything besides my pipes. Wondering if the large axis loss i keep hearing about is gonna have them trapping selling again to replenish high fence folks
                      This! Used to be on a lease in that area. They started trapping on our place & then using helicopters in the area too.

Comment

Rocksprings is good. I had a place there for 10 years and really like it. Get with Western Hill Country and Glynn will tell you about the area. He’s from there and very knowledgeable.

Comment

Working...
                        X