X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, walked on a frozen pond at my grandmothers
    And part of the Lampasas river in okalla

Comment

I almost froze. First time I had to break ice in the stock pond in central texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
        With the predicted cold weather next week for a couple days, it reminded me of the record cold snap in 1983. Seems I remember it didn't get above freezing for 6+ days for most of Texas. I was almost able to walk across my grandmother's frozen stock tank until the ice started cracking about a 1/3 of the way across. I was smart enough at the ripe age of 16 to turn around

I want to say we went 9 days below freezing in the Hubbard area. We went out every morning and every afternoon to several farms to “chop” ice so cattle could drink. Dang cold! I’m too old for that crap now. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Sure do! Grandpa and my dad drove down to Matagorda and drove along the south Shoreline and saw all the dead fish

Comment

I remember watching a herd of cows walk across the Colorado river in San Saba, it wasn't frozen solid but thick enough for them to get across. We wanted to try it but our dad wasnt having it.

Comment

I graduated for Tarleton State in Stephenville TX in December of 83. We had a blanket wrapped around the beer keg on the porch to keep it from freezing. Tried to learn snow ski on the roof of the house with a pair of water skis with the fins removed, don't try that. Went to Colorado snow skiing after graduation and it never got about 10 degrees. I went back home to south Louisiana and it was still freezing. My cousin and I loaded up and drove to Central America (Belize). We got warm there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Belize.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	24642230

Comment

In '83 I shot a doe just as the front hit. Gutted her and hung her in the shed for a week.

I remember a duck hunt in '89 where I had 1/4" of ice built up on my shotgun barrel.

Comment

The Red River froze from bank to bank at Shreveport in ‘83. I was a senior in HS.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                    In '83 I shot a doe just as the front hit. Gutted her and hung her in the shed for a week.

I remember a duck hunt in '89 where I had 1/4" of ice built up on my shotgun barrel.
                    I spilled some coffee on my 870 and it froze my action shut
                    Driving my airboat on ice down south in port Mansfield was interesting

Comment

I also remember in the sixties that most of Lake Palestine was frozen, all except the open water. It was only about 10,000 acres then, before the dam was raised. After it froze, we had snow. We duck hunted every day for 3/4 days. We would gun the boat up on the ice and break it in order to get back in those coves. The South facing ones thawed out and that’s where the ducks came in. It was glorious !

Comment

I graduated high school in 1983, then moved to Waco and went to TSTI. My best friend and I each drove home for the Christmas break on solid ice for the entire trip. The I-30 bridge across Ray Hubbard was shut down so we went to Canton on I-20 then up HWY 19 to Sulphur Springs. Unfortunately, he spun out and put his car in a ditch near a creek, so he rode with me to SS. My dad and I took both our trucks and tied them together, barely getting him out.

I also remember hunting a place near Kerrville in 1977, or 1979. The cabin had running water and a sink. We woke up to the water faucet frozen solid INSIDE were we were sleeping. When it thawed out a few days later it flooded the cabin. That drive home was also on solid ice. There were trees and power lines down all over the state. Rain that froze on barbed wire fences looked to be an inch around.

Comment

I was 24 years old

Comment

I was in concrete business for both 83 and 89 our rock and sand piles froze solid could hit with front end loader and sparks would fly overhead bins were full too we were shut down for over a week even with tarps and heater’s fish kills up and down the coast even in the rivers
                            where trout and reds go to survive the cold

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
                              I graduated for Tarleton State in Stephenville TX in December of 83. We had a blanket wrapped around the beer keg on the porch to keep it from freezing. Tried to learn snow ski on the roof of the house with a pair of water skis with the fins removed, don't try that. Went to Colorado snow skiing after graduation and it never got about 10 degrees. I went back home to south Louisiana and it was still freezing. My cousin and I loaded up and drove to Central America (Belize). We got warm there.

[ATTACH]1039523[/ATTACH]
                              I had a good friend that graduated that day in 83 at Tarleton. I live in Stephenville but didn`t attend because I was helping my in-laws with their dairy problems caused by the cold weather.

Comment

Yep. Froze the bay in Port Lavaca/Point Comfort. Grew up in Point Comfort and never remember that ever happening. A huge fish kill because of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X