No announcement yet.

Anyone remember cold snap of 1983?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep I remember my grandpa, my dad and myself break ice on the ponds for the cattle. The first day I thought it was fun but after a few days of that it turned into WORK.

Comment

The first year we moved up to Dallas there was heck of a snow and Ice Storm, that was in 84, and again in 85, miss those cold days, my dumb arse, doing 55 on the gage but only going about 15 in my ol'64 galaxy

Comment

Heck yeah I remember it, I was out in it!

Comment

89 I remember all around Houston running out of PVC pipe from fixing all the frozen busted pipes in Harris county.

Comment

I remember 83 and 89 very well. My wife and I had gotten married in March of 83 and were living in the country. Water well froze up, put a heater in the well house and fixed that but the sump pump for the septic system kept freezing too.

I live very close to the coast so a bunch of us took our "river boats" aluminum boats with 25HP Johnsons on the back and went into the rivers and were loading our coolers with fresh frozen trout and reds. They were just packed in ice.

The Game Warden told us to take as many as we wanted to clean and so we did.

Both freezes were extremely bad for the gulf coast.

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
              This is my brother standing out on the tank at our property. Pops had the ladder laying out there in case he fell through.

[ATTACH]1039502[/ATTACH]
              Yep, this was the one and only time that I ice fished. We walked out onto the pond, chopped a hole in the ice, and commenced to catching catfish through the ice. This was in Freestone County.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                I remember 83 and 89 very well. My wife and I had gotten married in March of 83 and were living in the country. Water well froze up, put a heater in the well house and fixed that but the sump pump for the septic system kept freezing too.

I live very close to the coast so a bunch of us took our "river boats" aluminum boats with 25HP Johnsons on the back and went into the rivers and were loading our coolers with fresh frozen trout and reds. They were just packed in ice.

The Game Warden told us to take as many as we wanted to clean and so we did.

Both freezes were extremely bad for the gulf coast.
                In 83 people were picking up reds and specks in Sabine Lake and even off the beach. I’ve heard that is illegal now to pick up fish like that. I think it’s kind of a. Shame though, I mean the fish are dead so why let them go to waste?

Comment

I guess it would have been around 1983. My dad told me that him and his buddies rode three wheelers all over lake Wright patman. He took a machete and chipped away at the ice and it was like 9 inches deep.

Comment

Wasnt alive in 83 but, back in the winter of 2011 or 2012 ish I was doing some landwork out in se new mexico. I rented a cabin at the KOA campground located between carlsbad and artesia. The cabins were pretty much brand new and had these little wall heater ac unit things that didnt seem to work to well in extreme temps. The KOA backed up to a WMA along the pecos river and i used to go kick around out there after work somedays. One morning, i woke up early, and it was freezing in the cabin, i stumbled and shivered over to the bathroom to take leak and when the **** hit the bowl it was a solid block of ice. Water on the toilet was frozen dang near solid. Needless to say, water was frozen so a hot shower was out of the question. I got dressed and fired up the pickup and the temp read -4° that day. As i was driving out i noticed dead doves laying around everywhere. There were a buncha eurasion ring necks used to roost in the trees at that place and they all just froze to death. Some still up in the trees. I went for a walk and the dead doves were everywhere along the river where they roost in the trees. One of the craziest things id ever seen. A week later, walking down there through the river bottom the critter cleaned all the doves up, only piles of feathers all over the place.
                    Last edited by bigmike585; 02-05-2021, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                      There was another time in the late 80s I think where it got below 0 here in North Texas. I remember thinking deer would HAVE to move to stay warm, so I was in a tree hunting. I was wrong! Nothing moved that weekend.

I wonder if 83 was when we had that huge ice storm. Whole town, Bonham, was without power for a long time, trees and limbs down everywhere. Sounded like gunfire all night with trees and limbs breaking.
                      That was probably 79 Brian. That was a bad one. Power company trucks from every where were in Paris and surrounding areas working on downed lines. The 2 worse years I remember in Lamar and Red River county were 79 and 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                        There was another time in the late 80s I think where it got below 0 here in North Texas. I remember thinking deer would HAVE to move to stay warm, so I was in a tree hunting. I was wrong! Nothing moved that weekend.

I wonder if 83 was when we had that huge ice storm. Whole town, Bonham, was without power for a long time, trees and limbs down everywhere. Sounded like gunfire all night with trees and limbs breaking.
                        Think that was 89-90

I was in basic training at Ft Sill.... holleeeeeeee crap it was cold.

Comment

I was in Matagorda for both freezes. In 83 we were able to walk out on the bay on the south shoreline of East Matagorda Bay. The ice was very thick and went a good ways out. There were long piles of ice where the north wind buckled and stacked the ice sheet up all down the bay. The fish kill was immense. It wrecked us for several years.

In 89 I was in matagorda duck hunting. My decoys froze over and were completely covered in ice with icicles hanging off the bills and tails. It was so dang cold and the ducks wanted in there bad. I shot a pile of greenwings and headed out. The roads were all frozen over from sleet and I slipped and slided back to town. By the time I got home in Bay City our pipes have frozen and we had pipes bust all under the house. It was a huge nasty mess getting under there to fix them.

We don't need any of that.

Comment

Nope Cuz I wasnt born until 84

Comment

Oh man. Y'all had to mention the freeze of 83. I was hunting up in Fredericksburg at a buddy's ranch, and I killed a young deer. He was freezing up faster than I could gut him. His dad reminded me that I had to finish what I started. Man was it cold...

Anyone want to take a guess where I am going to be next weekend? Not Fredericksburg, but Stonewall, about 12 miles east or Fredericksburg. What are the odds?

Comment

Killed a bunch of live oak trees.

Comment

Working...
                                X