Anyone remember cold snap of 1983?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone remember cold snap of 1983?

With the predicted cold weather next week for a couple days, it reminded me of the record cold snap in 1983. Seems I remember it didn't get above freezing for 6+ days for most of Texas. I was almost able to walk across my grandmother's frozen stock tank until the ice started cracking about a 1/3 of the way across. I was smart enough at the ripe age of 16 to turn around

This is my brother standing out on the tank at our property. Pops had the ladder laying out there in case he fell through.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bill on ice on tank.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	24642221

Comment

There was another time in the late 80s I think where it got below 0 here in North Texas. I remember thinking deer would HAVE to move to stay warm, so I was in a tree hunting. I was wrong! Nothing moved that weekend.

I wonder if 83 was when we had that huge ice storm. Whole town, Bonham, was without power for a long time, trees and limbs down everywhere. Sounded like gunfire all night with trees and limbs breaking.
      Last edited by BrianL; 02-05-2021, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I live in Luxemburg WI. Weather forcast for the next 6 days says it won't get to ten degrees. You get use to it just dress in a lot of layers. On Sunday there is a high of 3 and I have to bring my old tractor in to get fixed. About a ten mile ride. Not looking forward to that drive!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
          There was another time in the late 80s I think where it got below 0 here in North Texas. I remember thinking deer would HAVE to move to stay warm, so I was in a tree hunting. I was wrong! Nothing moved that weekend.
          It was two winters in a row that it got very cold. Fools I worked for had us leveling locations in frozen ground and when it thawed out it went to crap.

Comment

That was probably the time I was in a blind for most of the morning and my jeans froze to me legs. That stun, when I stood up to get out of the blind, it felt like the skin on my upper legs was going to get ripped off. Then my ears, nose and cheeks were partially frozen. When they finally picked me up from the blind, I got in the truck, but had to get right back out. The temp difference inside that truck made my skin feel like it was on fire, it was stinging so badly. The truck was one of those old 82 Chevy's with one of those early Olds diesel engines. So it was not very warm in that truck, it was very cold outside.

Comment

The freeze of '83 took out a lot of citrus trees in the RGV.

Comment

Snowed here in Cleveland.

Comment

1983 was very cold, remember breaking ice in the water canal to go duck hunting. Then again in 1989 Christmas week?
                  Last edited by topwater blowup; 02-05-2021, 11:56 AM. Reason: adding information

Comment

I was a Sr in high school when we had the freeze of 83. My grandmother had a house on Adams Bayou in Orange. First and only time I’ve seen the bayou frozen over.

Comment

I was 9 years old. I still remember the fish kill in the bays along the middle coast. I like a good shot of cold air from time to time but I don't like it if it is prolonged like it was in 83'.

Comment

Originally posted by topwater blowup View Post
                        1983 was very cold, remember breaking ice in the water canal to go duck hunting. Then again in 1989 Christmas week?
                        Yes, that was the second one... Was 5 degrees Christmas Day, Christmas Eve I was gonna go duck hunting. I had a place up on Lake Livingston... I backed my boat down the boat ramp and the trailer just backed out onto the ice! I then realized it really was too cold to go hunting and went back inside and sat by the fire!

I wasn't that mad at 'em back then and I'm even less "mad" now!!

Comment

I remember seeing fish sitting on top of the ice near Port 'O Conner in the 80s. I don't remember if it was 83 or later, just know I was young. We might have picked up dinner.

Comment

Yeah I think there was another shorter, very cold period in '89. I remember some of my friends at college, Southwest Texas St back then, used bread trays to sled down the hills on campus as everything was frozen. We set out a yard sprinkler in a tree in the backyard and froze the whole thing :0

Comment

I was living in an old pier and beam farm house just south of Arlington. Rent was free so I was responsible for repairs. During that cold snap all the pipes froze solid. When they started to thaw flooding was everywhere. You couldnt find an available plumber so I got a crash course in repair. I remember laying under the house in standing water with a mini mag flashlight in my mouth along with a just-purchased torch, hacksaw and fittings as well as a copy of "Introduction to Plumbing" I got from the hardware store. Fun times...

Comment

Working...
                              X