No announcement yet.

The Official 2020 TBH/APR Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What caliber would you guys choose for an all around balanced rifle that can handle mule deer and elk but will spend most of it’s time hunting whitetail in Texas? Based on the assumption that this was the only rifle owned. I am thinking of consolidating rifles considering I do not rifle hunt much. Would prefer to have one do it all type of rifle than several different calibers to keep ammo for. I also plan to shoot suppressed so barrel length is a factor as well.

Comment

Originally posted by raw10628 View Post
      What caliber would you guys choose for an all around balanced rifle that can handle mule deer and elk but will spend most of it’s time hunting whitetail in Texas? Based on the assumption that this was the only rifle owned. I am thinking of consolidating rifles considering I do not rifle hunt much. Would prefer to have one do it all type of rifle than several different calibers to keep ammo for. I also plan to shoot suppressed so barrel length is a factor as well.
      6.5prc or 280ai

Comment

I took this approach to last years build and ended up going with a 280AI. I grabbed a couple boxes of 140 grain Nosler ammo just to get it on paper as I planned to handload for it later on. I got it on paper with the factory ammo and then shot a 3 shot group that I covered with a dime. Needless to say, I haven't loaded any ammo for it yet.

Comment

What speeds are you guys seeing from the 20” 7mm-08?

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
            What speeds are you guys seeing from the 20” 7mm-08?

Enough [emoji51]

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
              6.5prc or 280ai

This is where I’m at. Can’t decide between them. Seems like the 6.5 prc is slightly flatter shooting, but the .280ai carries a little more energy.

I haven’t reloaded before, but I got a reloading kit for Christmas. Which one is easier to reload? I know factory loads shoot great for both calibers in the meantime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
                I took this approach to last years build and ended up going with a 280AI. I grabbed a couple boxes of 140 grain Nosler ammo just to get it on paper as I planned to handload for it later on. I got it on paper with the factory ammo and then shot a 3 shot group that I covered with a dime. Needless to say, I haven't loaded any ammo for it yet.

I’ve got a 280 AI in a Kimber Mountain Ascent that didn’t group the 140’s well so I thought about doing this build in 280AI because it’s one of my favorite calibers and I wanted a more accurate version. Figured I would just keep the Kimber for stalking and it was shooting around 1.5 inch groups. Ended up trying the ELDX 162’s and can cover a 3 shot group with a dime now.

Comment

raw, I’d think about a two rifle arsenal. When you go on those out of state hunts, it’s real smart to have two familiar rifles in case you take a bad fall, etc. You can accomplish this by shooting your buddy’s rifle before the hunt and share rifles if things go bad. It’s just real nice to have a lighter recoiling rifle for deer and a back up rifle that shoots heavier bullets for elk but still won’t beat you up.

You could use a 280ai with 168s as the primary elk, backup deer gun. Use a 6.5 with 140s as primary deer, backup elk gun.

Comment

Does the 280 AI have good factory ammo options? I’m familiar with the 6.5 PRC but not the 280 AI. I do not currently reload or plan to in the future so I would be dependent on factory options. Have thought about going to Copper Creek or one of the other custom load shops though.

Comment

Does the 280 AI have good factory ammo options? I’m familiar with the 6.5 PRC but not the 280 AI. I do not currently reload or plan to in the future so I would be dependent on factory options. Have thought about going to Copper Creek or one of the other custom load shops though.
                      The 280 AI has more factory options than the 6.5 PRC.I have both and in the 140gr range they are very close to the same.The 280 AI ability to shoot heaver bullets is where it shines.

Comment

280ai factory ammo is out there but not real common. Probably not too bad if you order it online or have Copper Creek load it up. I wouldn’t expect to find it in every Academy or Walmart though.

Comment

Going to buck the trend here I'd go with the good ole 7rm. Not a lot of attention lately but look at what it does and it really fits your needs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                            Enough [emoji51]

I knew you would comment!

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                              I knew you would comment!

[emoji12]... a valueless comment to boot!

I’m thinking going bigger on this build 300 wm, 28 nos, 280 ai, or 300 wsm. Just not sure what to do!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by dukeflr View Post
                                280ai factory ammo is out there but not real common. Probably not too bad if you order it online or have Copper Creek load it up. I wouldn’t expect to find it in every Academy or Walmart though.

I sent you a PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X