Question about glossy rifle finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about glossy rifle finish

I have a Weatherby Vanguard 7 mag in high gloss finish that was given to me. I'm hoping to use it in Colorado for mule deer in the next year or two. I really dont like the shine of the high gloss finish. The scope I plan to replace anyway and that will be matte finish. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to strip the gloss on the stock and refinish it in matte. Would it look funny with a matte scope and stock but gloss barrel & action? Ignorant question but is it possible to refinish the barrel & action? Thanks.

You could strip the stock and apply an oil finish and have the barreled action cera coated would look pretty good I bet. But in reality I would leave it like it is put a matte scope on it and go on. I love pretty wood and blued steel but you can’t find gloss scopes anymore unless you are willing to spend the money for Leupold custom shop and used gloss scopes are getting hard to find at a decent price.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
      You could strip the stock and apply an oil finish and have the barreled action cera coated would look pretty good I bet. But in reality I would leave it like it is put a matte scope on it and go on. I love pretty wood and blued steel but you can’t find gloss scopes anymore unless you are willing to spend the money for Leupold custom shop and used gloss scopes are getting hard to find at a decent price.

The used market used to be littered with old glossy Leupolds.....not so much anymore. I be willing to bet you could scare a deer in more ways than a shiny rifle.

That being said, I am OCD about matched scopes and rifles. If you want to matte it out then do so. I'd only use the scaring game excuse if I was trying to convince my wife to part with the cash.

Comment

They make some aftermarket covers you could slap on for hunting. It'd help keep it from being dinged up and also cheap.

Comment

I sprayed my old rem bdl with Walmart clear matte paint
          It came out great and best thing is when you want it off just use some carb cleaner and it wipes right off leaving the bluing untouched

Comment

I bought a used Browning shotgun with a nicked up gloss finish. Holy crap that was one tough finish. It took a lot of chemicals and elbow grease to remove it. Could you scuff it up then camo paint it instead?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Or buy a Boyd's drop in stock.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

All good suggestions that I will consider. Except that I want to keep the rifle as original as possible so I would prefer not to paint of swap stocks. Thanks for the info.

Comment

twosixteens- about how much would cerakote run for a barreled action?

Comment

I had a shotgun done last year a shop south of Dallas for $175

Comment

Sure its possible to redo...is it worthwhile /worth expense ,not in my book...and probably de-value.Remember there ain't no shine when you looking down barrel...just bullet and fire

There are tapes that you can put on and supposedly remove without damage to finish..and there used to be like Gun Jacket or something..

Comment

Get some camo tape ( cloth type not the duct tape type ) and cover it up. At the end of season or whenever you are done with it, pull the tape off and wipe off with W-D 40 to remove any adhesive that may still be on the gun.

Comment

If you want to keep the rifle, but get rid of the shine, my dad used camo vet wrap on his shiny rifles and wrapped the entire thing. It won't add weight, and isn't permanent.

Comment

Try some 0000 steel wool or Bear Tex pads and rub it down.

Comment

Working...
                            X