"say Uncle!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"say Uncle!"

Did anyone ever "rassel" with a brother/friend and force (or get forced) someone to say "uncle"?

I mentioned this in a conversation this morning, and the PIA "millennial" that I work with, told me that I was full of &%$, and nobody has ever used that term in a fight.

Well....I've used it both ways, losing AND winning.

Anybody else?

Yessir. All the time.

Comment

Um, YEA!!!

Brothers, Dad, Cousins, buddies

Comment

Yep

Comment

Just show him this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2l6RnWM2tU"]A Christmas Story -- Bullying Clip - YouTube[/ame]

Christmas, Story, Bully, Clip, A Christmas Story (Film), Bullying (Film Subject)

Comment

Many times.

Comment

yup, when we were younger... but it was more in hand squeeze competitions or headlocks.....

Comment

Tell the snot nosed **** he doesnt know everything.

Comment

Oh yeah...with wedgies too..

Comment

more times than I care to remember.

Comment

Used it yesterday with my 7 year old boy...so I googled it’s origins:

Why do we say “uncle” when admitting defeat? The only facts we know for sure are that it’s strictly a North American phrase, and that it first appeared in written English in 1918. After that, opinions split on to how the custom developed. The Oxford English Dictionary mentions that it may be a variation of the Irish word anacol, which means protection or safety.

A more plausible explanation, though, dates back to the days of the Roman Empire. When young children of that era were attacked by bullies, they wouldn’t be set free until they uttered "Patrue, mi Patruissimo," or "Uncle, my best Uncle." At that time, the brother of one’s father was accorded almost the same level of status and power as one’s dad, so declaring the bully to be your “Best Uncle” was tantamount to granting him a title of respect.

Comment

"uncle" and "calf rope"

Comment

Who hasn’t heard or used the word “uncle” when roughhousing?

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            Oh yeah...with wedgies too..
                            This, the two go together for sure

Comment

"Uncle" was the original tap out. The only reason the UFC doesn't use "Uncle" is that you can't say it when being choked out.

Comment

Working...
                              X