Cable spool blind build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cable spool blind build

I finally got my hands on a couple cable spools, been looking for a few years. These things are huge. I figured around 7'ish, try 10. [emoji44] First order of business is to get them down close to 7'. I was hoping I could cut a section out, and pull it around, that didn't happen, first try kinked.(already had a ding in it that I didn't notice before I cut the section out, this is where it kinked) After the kink, I straightened it out the best I could, welded a couple plates on either side, and then welded a straight bar across. I'll use that to frame the door. Second one went without a hitch. Cut section out, weld on hooks, pull gap closed to 3' (started a little better than 8') then weld in a brace. Haven't cut the final piece for that one yet.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Next, I traded a guy some tractor work for a bunch of fiberglass material that they build cooling towers with. I'm going to use this 3"X3" angle for studs. Just dummy cut one to see if I like it, I do. This is as far as I've gotten so far, hopefully project won't drag out too long, but my wife is due any day now so who knows.

Comment

Looks good so far. Did you already have the 3” angle? Did you consider using a thin(ner) walled square tubing for the frame? That angle is overkill—but I like overkill. Haaa. Man, if you frame walls, windows and doors with that angle it is going to be heavy!

Most importantly, best wishes to all with the baby!
      Last edited by RR 314; 07-14-2019, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
        Looks good so far. Did you already have the 3” angle? Did you consider using a thin(ner) walled square tubing for the frame? That angle is overkill—but I like overkill. Haaa. Man, if you frame walls, windows and doors with that angle it is going to be heavy!

Most importantly, best wishes to all with the baby!
        Already had the angle, it's fiberglass not iron. Should be light. They build cooling towers out of it, because it doesn't rot. Good stuff.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Comment

There has been contractors using these near my house the past few weeks, and using them for a blind was my first idea also. It should work great.

Comment

We are working on the exact same thing. We purchased 3 sets.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunt3 View Post
              We are working on the exact same thing. We purchased 3 sets.
              Put up some progress pics, I might want to steal your ideas. [emoji16]

Purchased 3 sets of what?

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                Already had the angle, it's fiberglass not iron. Should be light. They build cooling towers out of it, because it doesn't rot. Good stuff.

Thanks for the well wishes.
                Cool. Makes much more sense to me. I thought you were referencing other fiberglass material. Following along!

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                  Cool. Makes much more sense to me. I thought you were referencing other fiberglass material. Following along!
                  All fiberglass material. Trying to use as much as I can, for weight, and to get it out of my way. [emoji16]

Comment

Got back on it after church this morning. (Good message btw duckdogtrainer, if anyone is in the Winnie area I'd encourage you to come visit us on Sunday mornings at First Baptist Winnie.)

Anyhow, so far I've got up 4 "studs". Having a little trouble deciding on square, or level. That kink, (the top circle) is throwing things off.

Trying to figure out exactly how I want to frame my winders. Thinking about 12"X24" verticle.

Comment

Always go with square....level can be worked out upon setup.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                        Always go with square....level can be worked out upon setup.

Where were you at 4 hrs ago? I went level and it looks like garbage. Started taking it apart and decided I'd had enough for the day. Hanging out with the family now. At least I know where I need to go with it.

Comment

in

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                            Where were you at 4 hrs ago? I went level and it looks like garbage. Started taking it apart and decided I'd had enough for the day. Hanging out with the family now. At least I know where I need to go with it.

Sorry. I was napping. My fault.

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Working...
                              X