Alaska Bear Defense Pistol Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
    I was up there 20 years ago, and I got laughed at when people saw my .357. Most people had a .44 or bigger, and used a chest holster to carry. The guy I fished with had a sawed off 12 on a sling. Looked rather goofy trying to flyfish with a shotgun, but was glad we had it when we saw a mamma and cubs.

There were only brown bears where we were, apparently they had eaten all of the black ones.
    I could only imagine trying to fly fish for salmon with a shotgun hanging infront of me. lolz

Comment

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/def...#axzz5Guefwp6T

Pretty interesting article. Shows most handguns actually do pretty well against bears. Obviously if you're in that situation to begin with, something went seriously wrong.

Comment

Yes Sir use what hand gun you have. This would be an excellent excuse to buy a 41 or 44 magnum though?!?! Have fun!

Comment

Just got off the phone with a Alaska Game Officer. Very nice, friendly and answered all my questions. On the Kenai if you only have a pistol .44Mag or bigger ,unless you can't handle it then go with the biggest you can, he suggested any flat nose hard cast penetrating bullets. Long gun he said lever action .45-70 or 12ga loaded Slug/00Buck/Slug/00Buck. Bear spray works to a point but if the bear is charging and going through it no problem drop the spray and shoot.

I don't know what officer my girlfriends dad talked to telling him to go 10mm but I'm opting for the .44 mag with a 4" or 6" barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
            https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/def...#axzz5Guefwp6T

Pretty interesting article. Shows most handguns actually do pretty well against bears. Obviously if you're in that situation to begin with, something went seriously wrong.
            I did read this article the other day. Amazing what some of the outcomes were. Shot placement matters!

Comment

I have a Freedom Arms Model 83 Premier Grade .454 Casull I'd sell, if you're interested. Has a Leupold red dot scope, leather holster and belt, and a pile of ammo (260 and 300gr bullets) - about 500 rounds.

Comment

And be sure to watch the movie "Back Country" the day before you head out... yikes!!!

Comment

If it was me, fishing near Browns, I will take a 12 gauge shotgun.

Comment

When I lived in Alaska and was in heavy bear territory nothing less then a 12 gauge with 3 inch Brenneke slugs. I’d often carry a sidearm as well, now a 454 Alaskan as more of a “belly buster” if it’s on me. Brownies are effing huge and nothing to take lightly, on the other hand if you respect them and use common sense more then likely nothing will happen.

Comment

I was up there for 22 years. Always had someone in the fishing group with a 44 Mag and I usually carried a sawed-off 12 gauge pump, no plug with buckshot, slug, slug, slug, slug. Had a couple of buddies carry 357 Mag.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                        If it was me, fishing near Browns, I will take a 12 gauge shotgun.

Comment

I always had a glock 20 when hiking or fishing in bear country. Never had to use it so no first hand experience on how well it would have worked. I have used bear spray before and it worked great. I always have both options with me though.

Comment

You're close to me and I have a glock 20sf with a 6' ss lonewolf barrel. You can try it out if youre interested and possibly borrow it if for your trip if you want to save a few bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
                              I’d just take someone that couldn’t run as fast as me. Problem solved
                              a .22 would work just shoot your partner in the leg.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                                You're close to me and I have a glock 20sf with a 6' ss lonewolf barrel. You can try it out if youre interested and possibly borrow it if for your trip if you want to save a few bucks.
                                Txfire I really appreciate the offer. Not many people in the country would do that for a stranger and your only a few miles away. If you want we can go the range and shoot the bows and guns. I've never shot a Glock and I'd love to shoot a 10mm. Unfortunately I would have to decline your offer to borrow it as I already bought my bear pistol before I saw your post.

Comment

Working...
                                X