Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the closest you have come to death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holey cow, those are some serious stories some of you have.
    Jeff that almost happened to me the same way. I was lucky and grabbed the wheel and didn't fall out. Scared the crap out of me.

When I was 16 a guy I know was messing around with a 22 inside of a old cabin we camped in. I heard my best friend say. " man quit waving that thing around" then the other guy said it isn't loaded pointed it at the wall and pulled trigger.
    I was outside taking a leak when the bullet went through the wall and across my thigh leaving just a red burn.
    Needless to say after that he wasn't waving it around anymore. Couple of my buddies beat the crap out of him lol and took it away.

Comment

September 16th, 2008. Got a little too liberal with the gas on a brush fire and it exploded in my face. Literally. Care flight to Parkland and 4 days in the burn unit. Burned 20% of my body. 3rd degree burns on my face and left hand and 2nd degree on my left and right arm. I missed 6 weeks of work. LUCKILY there was no smoke inhalation involved, and the burn on my left hand didn't circumvent, so I still have full use of both arms, just got a couple scars and some premature sunspots to show for it. My wife took really good care of me since she told me to use diesel and not gas.

Comment

Wow, what a scary thread. Ghostwalker, so sorry for your loss.
        Thanks to all those who risked your life serving our great nation.

I was taking my girlfriend home on Loop 410 late one evening when I noticed some headlights shining thru the center median guardrail. Turns out it was a lady going the wrong way in my lane coming at me head on. I almost realized too late as she was really flying. I jerked the truck over to narrowly miss the head on collision and she flew by. Unfortunately, she hit a car a bit behind me and killed 4 people. Very easily could have been us.

A few years later I was walking in downtown Houston back from a late nightcap at the Spindletop with my wife. We were dressed for the theatre and looked like easy chumps. We were parked under the tranquility park garage. Two guys started following us as we were walking the few blocks. Once we got in the garage I grabbed my wife and stuck her in the elevator, pushed the button to send her off, and then turned to face them. I was not sure how this would end and was very scared at the possibilities. They had been hanging behind a few yards and did not realize that I had realized that they were following. I tried to look confident but was trembling inside. Thankfully, once they had lost the element of surprise and I confronted them face to face, they stopped, looked me over, and decided to leave. I was very relieved and was more cautious as to my surroundings after that.

Comment

This was as close as I've come in a while. Last fall going to the deer lease.....

Comment

When i was in Iraq and some re-re parked a 7ton my plt was in on top of an IED, we lucked out and it didn't detonate. EOD took care of it and said they weren't sure why it didn't go off but we were lucky cause it woulda killed us all. God was watchin out for us that day for sure

Comment

Had a motorcycle start wobbling on me at about 100. Kept trying to slow it
              down and was doing about 55 or 60 when I finally dropped it. The bike
              beat me across a bridge, and as I was sliding along the highway I remember
              thinking "Is this it? Is this being killed? when I stopped sliding I stood up
              and move my arms and legs to see if anything was broken.

I had a lot of road rash, but no injuries.

Comment

Got Married. Twice!!!!!!

Comment

Head on collision with a school bus around a blind corner on an old country road.
                  No kids involved thank God!
                  I totaled the bus with an 88' single cab ford ranger
                  I remember everything up to the impact and the idiot was on my side of the road.
                  The road banked real hard to the right so I was going pretty fast into the bottom of the bank and I knocked the bus back into his lane (I was going 40 which was the speed limit)
                  Lights out on impact.
                  I woke up in a dead sprint down the road (or what I thought was a sprint at the time)
                  Went back out and smashed the road.
                  Woke back up on a gurney strapped down from head to toes and couldn't move.
                  Pretty nasty deal.
                  Wreck was considered my fault but I was never talked to.
                  My passenger said the same exact thing I did.
                  The bus driver failed a drug test, had a warrant for his arrest and a suspended license!

The school said they'd drop suit if I would do the same.
                  I said cool.
                  2 years later, I turned 19 and was served with a $40,000 lawsuit....
                  Bankruptcy soon followed..... Bummer...

Comment

Was driving home one day 45 south and it started to rain and I mean the kinda of rain where you can't see the road, anyway guy beside me decides to get over and clips the front bumper of my car 95 chevy caliver anyway I do a couple of 180"s and bump my head against the window pretty hard when I stopped spinning I looked up to find myself in the North bound lane with a 18 wheeler coming right at me, I hit the gas and went off into the ditch the big truck missing me by just inches. A few people stopped to check on me and make sure I was ok, when I finally got enough courage in me to drive home I walked in the door and hug my wife and went and held onto my 6month old daughter until I feel asleep. Ever since that day I still get nervous driving in the rain.

Comment

October 26th 2009 Iraq, I was a gunner and our truck was hit with an IED. Hardest thing ever to forget, remember it like it was yesterday.

Comment

On my motorcycle, I t-boned some brawd who pulled out in front of me. No helmet...I woke up on the side of the road thinking am I dead and can I feel my feet, spent a couple days in hospital, but full recovery...Wear your helmet!

Comment

Just now catching up on the rest of these stories, I'm glad you all are still here to tell them.

Comment

Gettin married to my second wife.

Aw hell. Done posted this. See, i have PTS from it!!!

Comment

Well tomorrow will the the 5 year mark from my motorcycle wreck. I thank god every day I made it out alive. I was rolling on about 55 mph on the back wheel, and the video looks like I hit the reflector in the middle of the road. It was all over after that. The bike came on over on me and and then all i can remember is rolling down the highway. Some how i was coherent throughout the entire accident. After I finished rolling down the road I tried standing up and just fell to the ground immediantly. One of my best friends had just got off work and stopped by the fire department to say hello to some friends, and they told him they just recieved a call on a wreck and told him to tag along. Once he arrived on the scene he said his heart just dropped when he found out it was me. I was really lucky to have him there with me through the whole thing. i was careflighted to tyler and went into emerengy surgery. I broke my radius, and ulna. My elbow joint was ground away. Broke my kneew cap in two. Tore my petella tendon.( The knee joint was visible, as well as the elbow.) Broke my ankle. severe road rash. And out of all of this the worst pain was that i seperated my collar bone. Which was never fixed, and still is seperated to this day. I was in a wheelchair for 3 months, and crutches for another 3 months. The best part about all of this is that in october I killed my first deer with my bow. If my doctor knew i was up 25 feet in the air and pulling my bow back with a half broken arm he would had killed me, but that is how much hunting means to me! Not to mention this was a public land deer.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Mine doesn't compare to any of these but is still the closest to death for me I guess. Open Heart Surgery...and glad to be here to talk about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X