Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck!

Comment

So he text me saying branches breaking 62 yds and closing.
      Attached Files

Comment

Big rain storm hit yesterday evening. He has 2 hunts left to make it happen. Not much activity and very slow right now.

Good luck today Steve!

Comment

Big 6x7 just came in. Called him in within bow range and as he drew behind a bush the bull caught movement and bolted.

Comment

Yikes...... I'm sure it was a thrill, but all of that work and preparation, only to get busted at the moment of truth. Yeah, that moment won't haunt him for very long, if he doesn't get the chance at another elk......
            Hope he connects before time runs out.

Comment

He hasn't responded since that last update. I hope he is repositioning or something good happened.

Comment

Tough hunting til this weather change. Hope a last minute opportunity materializes for you.
                The full moon should make for some interesting hunting this coming weekend.
                Safe travels home guys and good luck on your last days on the mountain.

Comment

From Steve:

Hard to say two vastly different areas blind in a thicket I could see his horns but not whole body he did not go down the draw but walked up to me 5 yards behind thickets I was tucked in best I could he was walking I drew and he saw it turned around and hit the after burners

Ever really want a do over ??!! Right know I really really do excited , upset and disappointed I blew it I have logged 76. 8 miles of hiking these mountains this hunt tired both mentally and physically this was my chance and I just screwed it up

He caught me at half draw I held it as long as I could my shoulder is was burning should have waited but he was moving pretty good pace not grazing but walking

Comment

Hope he get's it done today

Comment

Hanging tough stick with it and good luck

Comment

That V Rock area is beautiful this time of year!

Comment

Big bull that busted him yesterday was shot by another hunter. They guy shot him at 89 yds and then the bull hung up in the fence where they finished him off.

Steve isn't too happy. He had several nice Mule deer bucks come by him but no MD Tag. Low temps today and hoping he can get it done.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	v Rock.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	24554530Man its dry out there this year. This is a picture taken just a few feet away from a couple of years ago.

Comment

Well back home un packed rested , TY hauler cleaned etc ..
                              So I want to say thank you to Antlers for posting it . Weird I can text but trying to log into a site its really slow and most times will not post what I type so Antlers took what I sent and posted .

Not much to say really the area had been hit hard with drought and over hunted for sure by the time I got there .

we saw almost no movement what so ever . What you did see was at first light or sun set.

I put out a game cam and had it in a heavy traveled funnel area it took one pic of a mule deer ,

put it on a elk carcass and it got one pick of one tiny cub eating .

Compared to last year this year was sim picking for sure .

The best was the elk that I called in .

I have thought about that for many hours .. I had planned to draw as he was behind the trees .

He did not get that big for not being smart , Heard about many shots taken at what I feel is a long way on a game like 75+ yards .

One guy was telling me he was going back to search for a cow he hit at 85+ had a little blood though maybe it was gut shot .. So this was some what common and these guys are crashing around all day looking for the blood trail , animal etc .

That was not helpful at all . So having other spots to hunt was great , but just when you think your in the 'spot" you smell smoke and find out 6 guys hiked up to the top and are camping in a primo hunting area !!!

Water was slim so that was a huge factor this year , I went way up the mountain to a natural spring area .. HA they are camping right there ?? I spoke with them and they where first time guys .. TX guys and KS guys .. I thought about explaining to them what they where doing was not the right thing for them or others but its land that every one can hunt camp or even shoot guns just to shoot .. and yes that happened as well .

I feel next year will be a new spot as this area is getting very popular , more so as the years go on .

Not sure where yet as we know this area , but thinking about areas that have higher elk numbers , Not sure yet but will start searching very soon . Thinking maybe even private no guide type areas . Not sure if I can afford that but worth looking into.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                                He would get better mileage if he turned his tow/haul off.

I did try that and its a bit hard on the shifts the truck is running on a hot tune and the trans is built to the max as well 36 psi of boost down shift is hard on billet shafts as well ( max boost is right around 45 psi I never let it go that far pulling no reason to it does just fine with light throttle . I tried running it on the other softer tunes as well made no change in MPG with 10 K on the rear i am not going to complain about the MPG .

I have proper tires for the rig as well just installed new tires even though the factory tires where less than a year old these are rated for 87 Mph continuous speeds .. funny I got passed by a 5th wheel like I was not moving HA HA i have to think he was running 95-100 he just rolled on by and was gone down the road .. I just chuckled.

Swapped tires on my truck just a month ago and went up from E rated to F rated as well . the new hitch was amazing very little swap even in the storm I drove through on the way home . .

Anderson hitch huge upgrade in ride quality with the new hitch no popping or banging like a bar or chain system . tight turning not an issue , very impressed with this new system .

I also run a TPMS as well keeps me up to date on pressure of all 4 tires. My buddys tires where up to pressure tires where just over 1 year old . They where some off brand china tire . He came home the ext day and his entire rig was full of water due to a ,large hole int he floor under the wheel wells .
                                Last edited by HDWRENCH; 09-24-2018, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X