No announcement yet.

Management thread for sub 500ac land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a place leased for four years in Blanco Oklahoma right on the turnpike. It was for sale the whole time we had it. We fed a mix called "Hatrack" out of Hatco feeds in Kiowa. The deer love that stuff. I killed a 165 with my bow and my son killed a couple of 140s. We had several spots that we would pour out a bag of feed and set up a camera--we saw more deer ( random bucks) at these spots than feeders. We also had a self-imposed sanctuary that we did not even walk in--I think the deer need that. The place sold so we lost it--that was tough. We are looking now to lease in the same area. I enjoy seeing yall get your places going!

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
      Where is big v feeds? Mine just haven’t taken to the protein like I would like in OK. I originally put the Atwood’s 13% all stock which my Texas deer eat ok. But I doubt these OK deer have ever eaten out of a protein feeder so def took them a long time and still not a ton of action but increasing slowly.
      McAlester but they are a big operation so I’m sure they sell around the state

Comment

Originally posted by DZM View Post
        McAlester but they are a big operation so I’m sure they sell around the state
        If that’s $10 per 50# that’s a great price. I’ll have to check them out.

Comment

Kactus, how much are you putting out at one time and how often?

Comment

It was 10.40 a 50# in December- haven’t filled up recent but probably about due

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
              Kactus, how much are you putting out at one time and how often?
              My feeders are all timed. I only have it going for about one second a feed a.m. and p.m. and it’s still backing up at times. I had to turn it off earlier in the year but once I saw a couple deer hit it on camera turned them back on, but they still are not cleaning it out last time I was there.

Comment

My feeders are all timed. I only have it going for about one second a feed a.m. and p.m. and it’s still backing up at times. I had to turn it off earlier in the year but once I saw a couple deer hit it on camera turned them back on, but they still are not cleaning it out last time I was there.
                Gotcha. I should have asked how much feed you were buying at one time and how often you were buying it. I have had some good luck with a few feed stores when I commit to buying *** tons over the summer and even when I just get 2 pallets at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
                  Gotcha. I should have asked how much feed you were buying at one time and how often you were buying it. I have had some good luck with a few feed stores when I commit to buying *** tons over the summer and even when I just get 2 pallets at a time.
                  Sorry misunderstood. Not much but it’s our first yr in ok and need to get the deer on it but honestly we prob wouldn’t feed more than 2 pallets a yr. We feed it pretty light as more of an extra attractant than major food source. Small properties you always seem to be feeding the neighbors trophies.

Comment

Not 100% for deer management but should be wrapped up with my 2 new ponds tomorrow. One is close to an acre the other will be just shy of a half acre. Gonna be adding some structure hopefully before we get too much rain. Should be good for the deer, fish and cows alike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Niiice!

Comment

Anyone been doing any land improvements? I got my ponds finished and created almost an acre food plot next to one of them. Will give me 2 stand locations for different winds. Using the pond/dam as a funnel. Should be great. I have also located where my other two plot/stand site will be and have started clearing those as well. Going to completely move all my stand setups for the next year in navarro co. Should make for better hunting next season utilizing the bedding areas.
                        Last edited by KactusKiller; 02-27-2023, 10:06 AM.

Comment

This is one of the areas I started with. I had already mulched the brush but still had a few trees and an old erosion terrace. Leveled it out and ripped it a little to start removing some of the roots.

It runs down the side and wraps around back of dam. The big timber in background is the creek bottom and where the majority of bedding are is located.

Comment

Also got some rock/brick piles in the flats of the new pond. Those areas will be about 9-10’ deep when it’s full. I need to add some trees of some artificial fish habitat in the deep area in center.

Comment

in for future reference... best of look on your endeavors also

Comment

Hoping some more chime in on what they are doing. Wanting to share ideas and not just show my progress.

Comment

Working...
                                X