Parenting again.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parenting again.....

Ok, so my wife and I lost our oldest daughter to an accident on July 26th. The father is doing a life sentence without parole. She leaves behind 3 children. One 20, one 18 and a 9 year old girl. With that being said, my wife and I will be raising our 9 year old granddaughter. To save you all the drama, I will not get into the life story of this child, but suffice it to say that she has been raised over 600 miles away from us and only knows the way of life in Midland/Odessa urban living. This little girl has her eyes wide open and is being introduced to things she has never even heard of before. I am trying to find her a 1/2 body guitar because, after seeing my guitars, she is interested in learning. My wife and i have already talked about our upcoming hunting season and introducing our granddauhter to the great outdoors. I can already forsee that she will need a bow in her life. With that being said, the last bow I bought for my daughter was in the early 2000's. Can I get some information on the newer child's bow technology? The one I bought for my daugheter years ago was adjustable enough for her to grow from a small child to adult and comfortably shoot. What is available now? I am still shooting a 2007 model compound.....

Can’t help with what you’re looking for, but good luck on this new journey. Without a doubt there will be bumps along the way, but catering to her interests as you’re doing will help

Comment

I am so sorry for you loss.

Sorry I don’t have any more to offer up. It sounds like that little girl is going to do just ok with what her grandparents have planned for her though.

Comment

Sorry to hear of y'alls loss. God Bless!
        A big thumbs up to you & the wife for taking in your granddaughter. Worked with a guy that gave up his retirement to do the same. I have the utmost respect for y'all.
        Please let us know as things develop , there are alot of us on here willing to get equipment to you to help .

Comment

So sorry to hear about your daughter. My daughter has a Mission Radik and loves it! This bow will grow with her as she gets older. 100% recommend the Radik.

Comment

Sorry for your loss, and prayers up for what you are going through. God will bless you and your wife for taking this little girl in! I think your best bet would be to take her to an archery shop. She'd get to take it all in, and she may enjoy the whole experience. A good shop should have plenty options that she could grow into... I'd also entertain cross bows as well. She could jump right into a cross bow and go shoot a pig or something if she wanted to.

Comment

If you still have the kids bow that’s adjustable use it to start her off, make sure there is an interest and then when you get a new one for her it will be more special. I see you hunt in Mullin so do we, also involved in raising our grandchildren. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Txmusfan View Post
                Ok, so my wife and I lost our oldest daughter to an accident on July 26th. The father is doing a life sentence without parole. She leaves behind 3 children. One 20, one 18 and a 9 year old girl. With that being said, my wife and I will be raising our 9 year old granddaughter. To save you all the drama, I will not get into the life story of this child, but suffice it to say that she has been raised over 600 miles away from us and only knows the way of life in Midland/Odessa urban living. This little girl has her eyes wide open and is being introduced to things she has never even heard of before. I am trying to find her a 1/2 body guitar because, after seeing my guitars, she is interested in learning. My wife and i have already talked about our upcoming hunting season and introducing our granddauhter to the great outdoors. I can already forsee that she will need a bow in her life. With that being said, the last bow I bought for my daughter was in the early 2000's. Can I get some information on the newer child's bow technology? The one I bought for my daugheter years ago was adjustable enough for her to grow from a small child to adult and comfortably shoot. What is available now? I am still shooting a 2007 model compound.....
                I have 2 youth bows hanging in the closet, I think(We did some house cleaning a while back). I can get the info on them tonight. Can't remember exactly what they are. They are just taking up space. I'll give you one if you want it. I think one was a PSE Spyder. These are older bows but nothing wrong with them. Might need some bells and whistles added but one is yours if you want it.

Comment

Prayers for your family and God bless you for stepping in to raise your granddaughter

Comment

Your post brings both emotions of sadness & joy...sorry for your loss & best wishes on your next chapter.

No help on the archery, but you may want to also introduce her into the shooting sports as well...we need more kiddos involved.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I appreciate the offer for the bow and would have probably taken you up on it (still may later), but I like the idea of letting her get the entire experience of the bow shop. I think I will take her with me and start looking. I think I can use it as a great learning experience on a lot of levels... fun, sport, business., etc.
                      BTW, this is not anything that ANY grandparent desires, but this little girl has had a very, very bad 9 years of life and I am getting anxious to turn it all around for her. I was not excited (to say the least) to give up my freedom and raise another child, but after a lot of prayer, the Lord has provided me with clarity and I am humbled that God has offered me this opportunity. I see many fun days ahead for all three of us.

Comment

No advice on the bow, but 2 giant thumbs up from me for what you are doing with the granddaughter.

Comment

You might consider a crossbow

Comment

I wish you the best of luck Sir, and I’m sorry for your loss.

Comment

God bless you sir. I came from a rough upbringing and my escapes to my grandpa's house were the only thing that kept me sane. I am sorry for your loss but it sounds like your grandbaby may be better off for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X