Government Canyon SNA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Government Canyon SNA?

Anyone hunted here before and want to weigh in on this hunt?

I didn't actually draw this hunt but I plan to go try for Standby...

I tried the search feature but it's not really turning up much of anything.

I dont know anyone who hunted government canyon. Where do you go to apply for standby. Id like to give it a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When is the hunt?

Comment

There are some nice deer but not really any exotics. We did trail cams all over the place

Comment

Most came out at night

Comment

Government Canyon is my Greenbelt. My neighborhood backs right up to it.

Comment

Originally posted by meathunter View Post
              When is the hunt?
              The hunt is the beginning of January. Pretty cool about it being right there. Think you'll try for standby? I'm hoping there aren't a ton of Standbys but if there are, it'd be nice if folks would team up and go on a card together. Would seriously increase the odds of getting a draw...

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post
                The hunt is the beginning of January. Pretty cool about it being right there. Think you'll try for standby? I'm hoping there aren't a ton of Standbys but if there are, it'd be nice if folks would team up and go on a card together. Would seriously increase the odds of getting a draw...
                Not sure as of right now. Will decide in next couple of days. Is it gun or archery? I guess I could look it up….lol

Comment

Originally posted by meathunter View Post
                  Not sure as of right now. Will decide in next couple of days. Is it gun or archery? I guess I could look it up….lol
                  It is Gun, either sex. It is a mid week hunt. Tuesday-Thursday. Hopefully that'll keep a lot of people from trying for Standby. Plus it's the same week the kids go back to school.

Comment

Originally posted by shwacker1911 View Post
                    There are some nice deer but not really any exotics. We did trail cams all over the place
                    Thank you for the info...

Maybe I can catch them slipping up.

So did y'all have any success?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisjvasquezrn View Post
                      I dont know anyone who hunted government canyon. Where do you go to apply for standby. Id like to give it a try

To get in on standby, you have to show up in person the first day of the hunt. Normally before 9 or 10am. You should probably call ahead and find out how many standby positions there are and what time to be there. There may not be any available.

Comment

Both my parents and grandparents have shared a fence with GC as long as it has been around. IMO it’s not worth a several hour drive even if drawn and not trying to get in as standby. I grew up hunting at both places before and after school and spent quite a bit of time stomping around in GC. There is good deer but few and far between. Deer numbers are low for the hill country, exotic (axis) numbers are even lower. You’d have better odds hitting one with your vehicle on the road in a specific neighborhood that borders the park.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                          Both my parents and grandparents have shared a fence with GC as long as it has been around. IMO it’s not worth a several hour drive even if drawn and not trying to get in as standby. I grew up hunting at both places before and after school and spent quite a bit of time stomping around in GC. There is good deer but few and far between. Deer numbers are low for the hill country, exotic (axis) numbers are even lower. You’d have better odds hitting one with your vehicle on the road in a specific neighborhood that borders the park.
                          What little info I have heard about the place, has all been about the same, the hunting is not very good. The area it's in, should be some good hunting. Then from what I have heard, in all the years the place has been open to hunting, virtually nothing has been killed there. Very odd, but I would still like to see the place some day.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                            What little info I have heard about the place, has all been about the same, the hunting is not very good. The area it's in, should be some good hunting. Then from what I have heard, in all the years the place has been open to hunting, virtually nothing has been killed there. Very odd, but I would still like to see the place some day.
                            The previous years statistics do not support these statements. I've gone back several years looking at stats and it seems to be anywhere from 40%-75% success rate. That's pretty good when compared to other draw hunts the state offers. Obviously some places have higher odds than that but A LOT have much lower odds. I will be going and taking my chances either way. Don't know if you don't go.

Comment

I plan on going to the Jan 4 hunt for standby. Hopefully it ain’t packed. Only 45 minutes away from my house so why not.

Comment

Working...
                              X