What to look for when picking a lab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pilgrim View Post
    I agree with this and make sure they are hip, eye and EIC negative.
    Also, don’t settle for what is close and ready but be willing to wait for what you’re looking for. .
    I drove from Austin to Waterloo, Iowa to get mine. Worth every mile.
    Great points. A responsible breeder will always have health clearances on both parents and would never breed two EIC carriers or an EIC affected dog. One of the parents can be an EIC carrier and you’ll probably be okay. Lots of great dogs have been carriers...just can’t breed two carriers. If a breeder can’t produce the health clearances on both parents, then run like the wind. Like Pilgrim, I too found my last one long distance. Flew to Wisconsin from Houston to get him. I had done my research and knew what I wanted. Put a deposit down long before the litter hit the ground. I’ll likely do it again when the time comes. Whatever the initial price of the dog is, whether it’s $250 or $2500, it usually ends up being the cheapest part of the overall deal.

Comment

Thanks, been calling a few ads and I have not found many with hunting backgrounds.

Comment

What price range should I expect for a lab pup with both hunting parents preferably with tracking background? I would not mind a little mix blood in the background to hopefully mitigate any issues with line breeding in the past

Comment

Theres a male pup left thats posted in the classifieds and the price is right. If I could i would have bought one.

Comment

I lost my young dog last week so I hope you found the right one.

Comment

Working...
            X