No announcement yet.

What to look for when picking a lab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m no help. My last one was a white female. She wasn’t good for anything, but she was the best dog I could ever ask for. Haven’t had another outside dog since her, just not ready.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

He loved to go fishing

He would hang out in the shade of the truck and watch us fish when he was older. When he was younger he would ride in the boat or even kayak with me.
        Attached Files

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

Bloodtrail,Blood trail, great looking color on your lab

Comment

What to look for when picking a lab

When I picked mine 11 years ago, I knew I wanted a high energetic dog with strong will. When I went to pick one out, I played with them for about 30 minutes. There was only one that was ahead of the pack every time. He also whines and whimpered out of excitement where as the others didn’t too much. I chose him. He is still alive and well and has lived up to the reasons I picked him. At 11 years old, he’s still fit and highly energetic. I have a feeling when he does go down hill, it will be fast, and probably in the next couple of years. I will dread it. Been my buddy for a long time!

Last edited by Sleepy; 10-09-2019, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Pic

Here is another of Tuck
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jhunter77 View Post
                  He would hang out in the shade of the truck and watch us fish when he was older. When he was younger he would ride in the boat or even kayak with me.
                  That's definitely the face of a happy pup. Sorry for your loss. My girl is 8 now and I dread the day.

Comment

Sleepy, if you take care of them and keep them active you will be surprised at how long they can hunt and live full lives.

Comment

Depends on your wants/needs. There’s high powered field trial dogs that are wound tight and there are middle of the road hunting/family dogs, and there are the family only and kinda docile type too. I’ve been around them all and nothing wrong with any of them. I like to choose the “middle of the road” pup that shows attention when I throw a small sock or something. Also one that when laid on its back will fight to get up and show some grit but also when you raise your voice a bit will stop. Meaning teachable and not too hardheaded. I’m also thinking of a family dog that’ll be good with kids and not destroy the house too, so not just strictly hunting.

They’ll always be an alpha, or two, in the litter and I’m usually drawn to the 3rd or 4th in line that I foresee will be very trainable but have plenty of grit and smarts versus the alpha that could be overly high powered and harder to train pup. I’m also really keen on females for those reasons and they’ve been more easily trainable in my opinion, not all, but most. I currently have a ~11mo old Lab/Catahoula mix that’s a Male rescue and he’s awesome and very trainable. He also lost his manhood early and seems a bit more calm than most males with their Kahunas still in tact! Lol. Good luck either way. I’ll also recommend Richard Wolters books Gun Dog/Water Dog. Great stuff to find and start a pup
                      Last edited by mdnabors; 10-09-2019, 08:38 PM.

Comment

A Lab needs 2 things, an instinctive drive to retrieve and to get in the water. If I’m picking out a pup the number 1 tool is a bumper or a ball of some sort. Get the pups attention and throw it. If they aren’t falling over themselves trying to go get it keep looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc[/quote
                          The second one I chose sat by himself and watched me while his brothers and sisters were playing.
                          This was my last experience as well. All his brothers and sister were going crazy expect for him. Once I acknowledged him he came over slowly and said hi. His energy was calm at home or hospitals but he would retrieve until he collapsed before he quite.

Comment

Mdnabors I find myself also looking for a middle of the road dog. I have been around some great dogs some were wound tight and others were very timid. I think my training and personality will best match a middle of the road dog with just enough spunk to be loyal and protective.

Comment

Any other advice? Thanks

Comment

Never take the one a breeder hands you first. Some times that is the one they want to get rid of. Most people bond with the first one they hold. My last Lab, lived to hunt for 14 yrs.
                                Abby, in her usual place when duck hunting!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X