No announcement yet.

Sales Tax on Internet Out of State Purchases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supposed to pay use tax on purchases from out of state already. That means all the stuff we bought on amazon, ebay etc from out of state, we are all supposed to have been paying use tax unless the seller collected sales tax for Texas

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
      Yes it will. Lot's of people will charge the tax and pocket the money. What are they gonna do about it?
      I pay my sales tax collections monthly, what I collect in sales tax plus local tax must be sent in by the 20th of each month. The state drafts the money out of my business checking account after I fill out an online statement. I just did it tonight for what I collected last month.

Last year the state of Texas sent me an email, in redneck terms it said that if I committed fraud with sales tax collections that I would be given amnesty if I made it right and promised not to do it again.

The whole sales tax collection system in Texas is based on "Good Faith". I can assure you that there are POS out there that have scammed a lot folks on sales tax collections. In other other words they collect it and keep it, so basically you paid an additional 8.25% profit margin to the seller.

Comment

Government greed knows no bounds.

Comment

I don't like taxes any more than the next guy. I see both sides. Ask someone like our awesome forum sponsor Outdoor Legacy what it's like trying to sell a $5,000 thermal scope to a guy in Texas who can get it online from California with no sales tax. That stings.

Comment

They got me yesterday on Ebay for scope...added tax. Texas started 10/1/19 don't know how they are going to police this but they, ebay, is going to get the sales tax money so maybe they will do the right thing. Not a happy camper when I saw it on my PP.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
              I don't like taxes any more than the next guy. I see both sides. Ask someone like our awesome forum sponsor Outdoor Legacy what it's like trying to sell a $5,000 thermal scope to a guy in Texas who can get it online from California with no sales tax. That stings.
              Excellent point, I buy tens of thousands of dollars worth of stuff for my business off of eBay every year. I am tax exempt but of course you have to provide a certificate, there is no way I am going to provide a certificate to all the various sellers on eBay. Looks like I will have to bring my business back to the local vendors here.

Comment

I have been paying sales tax online for everything for a while now. Amazon started many months ago, I bought rims and tires from TireRack and paid tax on those in April, and my Stone Glacier (Montana) pack I bought two years ago had tax applied. Why should an online retailer have a competitive advantage over a brick and mortar store?

Comment

On Amazon, it seems like some items have had tax charged for a while now. Other items not. It's been a mixed bag...

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                    The whole sales tax collection system in Texas is based on "Good Faith". I can assure you that there are POS out there that have scammed a lot folks on sales tax collections. In other other words they collect it and keep it, so basically you paid an additional 8.25% profit margin to the seller.
                    It is 'good faith' the same way income tax payment is. The Comptroller can (and does) audit folks and when they decide to do that (randomly or for some suspicion), they will turn things inside out to find issues - sales on which sales tax wasn't collected and should have been (so keep all exemption certificates organized) or 'sales tax' collected and not submitted to proper authorities.
                    Our business has been audited twice in a 20 year period. Nothing found either time, but it took days and days of manpower providing them access/copies/etc.

Comment

I can't imagine an online shop in Colorado worried to much about what the Texas comptroller wants....and then what nightmare of every state decides to then they have keep 49 extra files for those states tax rates and taxes......

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                        I have been paying sales tax online for everything for a while now. Amazon started many months ago, I bought rims and tires from TireRack and paid tax on those in April, and my Stone Glacier (Montana) pack I bought two years ago had tax applied. Why should an online retailer have a competitive advantage over a brick and mortar store?
                        Originally posted by BigCohiba View Post
                        On Amazon, it seems like some items have had tax charged for a while now. Other items not. It's been a mixed bag...
                        If the seller has a location in Texas they have already been required to collect sales tax.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                          Excellent point, I buy tens of thousands of dollars worth of stuff for my business off of eBay every year. I am tax exempt but of course you have to provide a certificate, there is no way I am going to provide a certificate to all the various sellers on eBay. Looks like I will have to bring my business back to the local vendors here.
                          All you have to do is send one exemption to eBay for all their vendors.

Comment

Originally posted by BigCohiba View Post

It has for a pretty good while ......Amazon has distributorships/fulfillment centers//warehouses in Texas so it has to charge sales tax on items coming from those places. There are some instance where items are shipped directly from the seller from out of state where taxes are not collected. Sounds like that is about to change as well.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                              All you have to do is send one exemption to eBay for all their vendors.
                              Holy cow, did not know that. Makes sense. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                                Holy cow, did not know that. Makes sense. Thanks.
                                Check your eBay messages. They’ve been sending them out for the last month or more. You do read those messages don’t you?

Comment

Working...
                                X