Experienced pro tile guys on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
    That nitch in the shower will pool water too. He did frame it which surprise me... just did bottom wrong. Water will get in grout line. And if not red guarded completely below that or other barrier it will take in water
    It is all covered with Kerdi under the tile, and they did make a very slight slope in the bottom of the niche so water will run out.

I'm not sure where it can go from here. We still may owe them a couple of thousand or so for the tile work. I'm going to have to tell the owner of the tiling business we're not going to pay for this kind of work. But the pressure is on: we're supposed to move in in 2-3 more weeks. There's no time to tear it off and do it all over. He MIGHT have another tile guy working for him who can do a better job. I'll be calling him tomorrow and lay the cards on the table.

You are right - the builder himself doesn't really have a clue what's going on, unless I point it out to him. And you are right - it's painful when your lifetime dream home ends up with these issues, especially for my wife, who has always dreamed of having a beautiful home, nice kitchen, etc.

I appreciate your opinions; I just wanted to hear from some other people and confirm that this wasn't normal or acceptable work.
    Last edited by Ruark; 05-05-2019, 09:36 PM.

Comment

I just retiled a bathroom for the first time last weekend and it's not that hard to do a quality job. Those pictures show the work of someone who just doesn't care. Or who is drunk and/or high.

Comment

You should listen to guys on here and go with your gut. Obviously your gut is telling you it's not right. Many guys on here are telling you it's not right. I can lay tile, I'm no pro, but I've done my whole house, bathrooms, backsplashes, my cabin floors, and what you got is junk work. Grout will make it look worse. You need to refuse to pay and find another contractor now if you have to move quick. I'd try to help you myself, but I live in dfw. The only way to fix it, is to tear it out and start over.

Comment

Sorry Ruark but that tile will have to be torn down and redone. I would have to hold my wife back from tearing those installers a new one.

Comment

Been doing remodeling and new construction for a long time and that is real poor work. Suck it up, put your foot down and get it corrected now. If you don’t, It and she will bug you for years.
            Hire a third party building inspector and hand the report to your builder.
            Hope you builder is not too far ahead on his draws.
            Also No excuse for a few days of tile work going on for a month

Comment

No tile pro here but that looks terrible. If it was me, I would be worried that the tile was laid correctly. If the guy takes zero pride in how the finished project even looks, I seriously doubt he gives a crap about how well the tile was put down.

Comment

I'm a builder and here are two pieces of advice I'd give to you.

1. Have him fix it
                2. If you ever want to sell that house, regardless ho much you live that maroon tile, get rid of it. Go with more of a neutral. I've seen too Many people go with a bold tile like that to only regret it at a later date. Make your bold statements with paint or decor. They are much easier to change.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
                  It is all covered with Kerdi under the tile, and they did make a very slight slope in the bottom of the niche so water will run out.

I'm not sure where it can go from here. We still may owe them a couple of thousand or so for the tile work. I'm going to have to tell the owner of the tiling business we're not going to pay for this kind of work. But the pressure is on: we're supposed to move in in 2-3 more weeks. There's no time to tear it off and do it all over. He MIGHT have another tile guy working for him who can do a better job. I'll be calling him tomorrow and lay the cards on the table.

You are right - the builder himself doesn't really have a clue what's going on, unless I point it out to him. And you are right - it's painful when your lifetime dream home ends up with these issues, especially for my wife, who has always dreamed of having a beautiful home, nice kitchen, etc.

I appreciate your opinions; I just wanted to hear from some other people and confirm that this wasn't normal or acceptable work.

He has enough time to fix it. Builder just has to make it happen. It’s totally doable if you do it right now.

Comment

My dad would say that looks like fido's arse.

Comment

Originally posted by jsctx84 View Post
                      He has enough time to fix it. Builder just has to make it happen. It’s totally doable if you do it right now.
                      This is very true !!
                      In a pinch they can redo that whole bath in 2 days.
                      It’s amazing the reaction of someone ,when you tell them they ain’t getting paid until it meets satisfactory standards .

Comment

You don't have to be a tile pro to see that's shoddy work.

I'm not a pro, but I've laid a LOT of tile.
                        Another thing you need to do is take a rubber mallet and tap all over, EVERY tile ... especially on the floor. This doesn't make sense now, but it will, once you do it. Most are going to sound like your hitting concrete, which is the way it should sound. Some of the tiles are going to have a hollow sound. You need to mark EVERY one of those and make them replace them.

The ones that have a hollow sound aren't installed properly. They are not completely stuck to the floor. On a backsplash, it's not a big deal, on a floor, it is. If the tile isn't completely stuck to the floor (hence the hollow sound), it can very easily crack under normal use.

Here's why I say this. These gadgets look like a spacer that's used to get the tiles faces flush.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	tile.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	24579428
                        They do make the tile nice and flush, but when you're setting tile, the whole thing has to be pushed into the thin set, or mastic. These devices actually lift the tile, a bit to get the faces flush, but in the process, will lift it out of the bed of thin set, and create those hollow spots where the whole tile isn't stuck to the floor.

A professional tile guy doesn't ever use things like that. They're a crutch for people that don't know what they're doing.

You need to have a serious talk with whoever is in charge of that. If it's your builder, have him bring his wife over and ask them if that crap would be acceptable if it was in their house. That is below amateur quality work.

Comment

Grout will hide the one issue in th corner.
                          We use silicone or grout caulk in the corners and joints form granite to tile .
                          I have hired many tile guys over the years being a remodeling contractor. I've seen worse, and my current guy better

Comment

I would say that your contractor deserves a very stern phone call letting him know what you think about the quality of the tile installation. That's **** poor work even by production home standards. Get you some blue tape, and stick a piece everywhere that you feel needs to be fixed and take a picture of each area on your phone so you can look back and ensure that they did actually fix it. It looks like you will be doing the punch walk for your contractor since he didn't do it himself. Also make sure that they re-waterproof any areas that they have to remove tile from.

Make sure you don't pay your contractor until that's 100% fixed, this will get it fixed much more promptly. If you pay him for it, it may never get fixed.

Comment

I would be on the builder. No way I would sign off on that. I have been doing work in my own houses for years. My wife and I can easily do better work than this. If we need spacers for some reason we use coins so it prevents air cavity behind the tile. Never seen grout cover s mess up.

Comment

Don't move in until its tore out & installed right. Do you really want to move into a new home and have to live through a remodel?

The grout will fix it is classic.

Comment

Working...
                                X